Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GNU tar on SUN 9
Operating Systems Solaris GNU tar on SUN 9 Post 66853 by thumper on Thursday 17th of March 2005 12:19:05 PM
Old 03-17-2005
GNU tar on SUN 9

I downloaded GNUtar from sunfreeware.con and installed it on a sparc running sun 9.
Performed pkgadd -d on the required lib and tar file and everything seemed to be ok.
I tried to extract a file from a tar created using the sun version with no success. Tar ran for several hours working on the extraction but never finished and gave no error messages.
I moved the tar file to another machine running suse and was able to extract the file without any problems.
Can anyone point me to what to check?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gnu tar on Solaris 8

Here is how I got where I am: I tried untarring tomcat and at the end of the untar I get the following: So I downloaded GNU tar and did a pkgadd -d, which installed the package. But when I run /usr/local/bin/tar, I get this message: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dangral
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with GNU tar installation

Hi all, Need some help here. I've been trying to install GNU tar version 1.12 into my Solaris 9 machine. steps that I have done was: -untar the package file -run "./configure" -run "make" command (got stuck at this point) Got the following error messages after hitting the make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suffer0
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNU tar automatic gz detection/decompression

I stumbled on this feature on a SLES10 system yesterday... if you tar tf filename.tar.gz or tar xf filename.tar.gz it automatically gunzips the data for you. Has this feature been around for a while? I have 1.12 on my system, which doesn't, but the 1.20 manual mentions it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Annihilannic
3 Replies

4. AIX

GNU Tar with compression for AIX 4.2 already compiled ?

Is there a GNU Tar available with compression option available for AIX 4.2 that I can directly use (not having to compile anything, simple installation) ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

extraction of directory and below using gnu tar

i need to restore everything in a certain directory and lower. I have a tgz archive of all of the files, and i need to restore everything in /user/home/xxxx/ and below. this is a users home directory. this is a dumb question and i know when i see the answer i am going to say DUH, but i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
2 Replies

6. AIX

GNU TAR vs NATIVE AIX TAR

Hello, Getting this very strange error, made tar/zip through gnu tar GNU Tar ( successful tar and zip without any errors ) /opt/freeware/bin/tar cvf - /oraapp| gzip > /backup/bkp_15_6_16_oraapp.tgz GNU unTar error root@test8:/>gunzip < /config1/bkp_15_6_16_oraapp.tgz |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3pm)			 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			 CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3pm)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract - internals for archive extraction SYNOPSIS
### for source files ### $self->_gunzip( file => 'foo.gz', output => 'blah.txt' ); ### for modules/packages ### $dir = $self->_extract( module => $modobj, extractdir => '/some/where' ); DESCRIPTION
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract extracts compressed files for CPANPLUS. It can do this by either a pure perl solution (preferred) with the use of "Archive::Tar" and "Compress::Zlib", or with binaries, like "gzip" and "tar". The flow looks like this: $cb->_extract Delegate to Archive::Extract METHODS
$dir = _extract( module => $modobj, [perl => '/path/to/perl', extractdir => '/path/to/extract/to', prefer_bin => BOOL, verbose => BOOL, force => BOOL] ) "_extract" will take a module object and extract it to "extractdir" if provided, or the default location which is obtained from your config. The file name is obtained by looking at "$modobj->status->fetch" and will be parsed to see if it's a tar or zip archive. If it's a zip archive, "__unzip" will be called, otherwise "__untar" will be called. In the unlikely event the file is of neither format, an error will be thrown. "_extract" takes the following options: module A "CPANPLUS::Module" object. This is required. extractdir The directory to extract the archive to. By default this looks something like: /CPANPLUS_BASE/PERL_VERSION/BUILD/MODULE_NAME prefer_bin A flag indicating whether you prefer a pure perl solution, ie "Archive::Tar" or "Archive::Zip" respectively, or a binary solution like "unzip" and "tar". perl The path to the perl executable to use for any perl calls. Also used to determine the build version directory for extraction. verbose Specifies whether to be verbose or not. Defaults to your corresponding config entry. force Specifies whether to force the extraction or not. Defaults to your corresponding config entry. All other options are passed on verbatim to "__unzip" or "__untar". Returns the directory the file was extracted to on success and false on failure. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3pm)