Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Hard time with an IBM RS/6000 J40 + AIX 5.2L Post 66694 by MCM on Wednesday 16th of March 2005 01:46:23 PM
Old 03-16-2005
Hard time with an IBM RS/6000 J40 + AIX 5.2L

Hello all!

I'm having a hard time with an IBM RS/6000 J40 machine.
I'm trying to install AIX 5.2L on it but, up to now, I can't make it boot from the CDROM.

I can go to the configuration menu, but, I don't know hot to point to my SCSI CDROM in order to boot from it.

Do any of you have an ideia?

Thank you for your time!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Ibm Risc/6000 Os

:o Unix Sirs, :eek:RE: IBM RISC/6000 1990 Used on Application: Image buffer: 3D "Catia" (3D "Autocad" sim.) engineering C.A.D. Written by Deso. Cash prior to main frame dump:cool: * :oCan I purchase the oem operating system from you unix people? :cool: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penguins
1 Replies

2. AIX

PCI Ethernet Cards for IBM RISC 6000 - B50's

I am trying to find PCI Ethernet cards that are compatible with the IBM RISC 6000 - B50 Power PC. None of the regular NIC's seem to have AIX drivers. Does anyone know of AIX drivers for standard PCI Ethernet NIC's or a non IBM NIC that works with the Model B50 at 10/100 MB ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahe
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hard time with a RS6000 J40 + AIX 5.2L

Hello all! This is my first post here! I'm having a hard time with an IBM RS/6000 J40 machine. I'm trying to install AIX 5.2L on it but, up to now, I can't make it boot from the CDROM. Do any of you have an ideia? Thank you for your time! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MCM
3 Replies

4. AIX

Replacing tape drive in RS/6000 7025 F40 running AIX 4.2.1?

I've just landed in a situation where an old IBM RS/6000 7025 F40 running AIX 4.2.1 has had it's tape drive fail. The tape drive in question is an HP C1533A 4mm 4GB/8GB DAT drive. It repeatedly gets write failures, and my trusty techique of whacking the cleaning tape in hasn't worked. Unfortunately... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaedrus
2 Replies

5. AIX

Fibre channel drivers on RS/6000 aix 5L

Want to configure IBM raid strorage but the aix 5L cds do not have the drivers for the fibre channels. The machine is RS/6000. I have gone to IBM downlaodable sites but i can't find the drivers? help pliz:mad: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zim-Aix-Guru
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can AIX 5.3 - 6 Boot From HP EVA 6000 SAN

Hi There, Has anyone had any luck with or know how to get AIX 5+ to boot from a HP EVA 6000 SAN? The servers used here will be P Class Blades My initial searches on this so far did not bring results so I am guessing this may not be possible on HP SAN's but please let me know if I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fazzasx
0 Replies

7. AIX

IBM AIX on IBM Eseries & x series server

Hi, I want to know whether IBM AIX can be installed on the IBM e series and x series server hardware? Thanks & Regards Arun (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
2 Replies

8. AIX

Issue with RS/6000 H50 from IBM

G'day all I have purchased 2 big IBM H50 RS/6000 enterprise servers. I am led to believe they are running AIX 4.3.3. Now problem is getting into remote console and turning off remote console and enabling my graphics card which i have installed. Now i was told to remove it, and try again. But i... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ADS2459
17 Replies

9. AIX

IBM rs/6000 7026-c2

I have just purchased an old IBM RS/6000 7026-C2 with the intention of installing AIX 5.2 to do some testing. I have no AIX or RS/6000 experience, but I have managed to access the console/service menu through a hyper terminal console via the com port. I get the service processor menu and I can't... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIX5.2
12 Replies

10. AIX

IBM Virtual Machine OS on intel x86 and x64? IBM AIX OS on IBM Virtual Machine?

Hi There, I have zero information and zero knowledge for IBM virtual machine except Amazon cloud and VMware ESXi (Only Linux OS available). Anyone could provide me the following answer - Can IBM VM been deploy on X86 and X64 (Intel Chip)? If answer is yes any chance to deploy AIX OS... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenyung
13 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)