Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find | xargs cat
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find | xargs cat Post 66498 by Ygor on Tuesday 15th of March 2005 03:24:54 AM
Old 03-15-2005
| xargs head -1000000

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using find and xargs

I'm using Imagemagick to create thumbnails for a large directory tree. The only thing I can't see is how to get it to write the thumbnails to a "thumbs" subdirectory! Either of these two commands from the Imagemagick site does most of the job: find -name '*.jpg' | xargs -n1 sh -c 'convert $0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixote
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find | xargs cat

Hi, I am having trouble getting a combination of commands to work. I need to traverse through all sub-directories of a certain directory and 'cat' the contents of a particular file in the sub-directories. The commands on their own work but when I combine them I get no output. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DownunderDave
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XARGS and FIND together

I am trying to delete files older than 60 days from a folder: find /myfolder/*.dat -mtime +60 -exec rm {} \; ERROR - argument list too long: find I can't just give the folder name, as there are some files that I don't want to delete. So i need to give with the pattern (*.dat). I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and xargs

hi, i've been trying to figure this weird error but I cannot seem to know why. I am using below find command: find . \( ! -name . -prune \) -type f -mtime +365 -print The above code returns no file because no files are really more then 365 days old. However, when I use xargs, its... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on cat filelist.txt |xargs -n1 find

I am trying to find all the files listed in a filelist.txt. Why cant I use something like this cat filelist.txt | xargs -n1 find $path (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs + Find Help

Guys i want to run a command to list all directories that havn't been modified in over 548 days ( 1.5 yrs ). Id like to run a script to first print what the command finds ( so i get a list of the files pre move ... i have a script set for this : find /Path/Of\ Target/Directory/ -type d -mtime... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: modulartention
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find/xargs/*grep: find multi-line empty "try-catch" blocks - eg, missing ; not in a commented block

How can I recursively find all files in a directory and print out the file and first line number of any text blocks that match the below cases? This would seem to involve find, xargs, *grep, regex, etc. In summary, I want to find so-called empty "try-catch blocks" that do not contain code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifechamp
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs vs exec with find:

Hi All, i'm trying to create a tar of all the .txt files i find in my dir . I've used xargs to acheive this but i wanted to do this with exec and looks like it only archives the last file it finds . can some one advice what's wrong here : find . -type f -name "*.txt" -print0 | xargs -0... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with find, xargs and awk

Hi, I want to find some files and then search for some lines in it with a particular pattern and then write those lines into a file. To do this I am using something like this from command prompt directly. cd /mdat/BVG find -name "stmt.*cl" -newer temp.txt | xargs -i awk '/BVG-/{print}' {} >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandhya Harsh
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Single line backups with find or cat and xargs, etc

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. I used command line Unix at work for 3 years... about 10 years ago! Now I can't figure out nor hunt down examples of how to do the following: Say I built a list of file to backup like this: find ~ -name "*.pdf" -print >> MYPDF.txt So I am using find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hwilliam777
6 Replies