Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nfsd won't start at boot up
Operating Systems Solaris nfsd won't start at boot up Post 66382 by dcshungu on Sunday 13th of March 2005 09:07:29 PM
Old 03-13-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
I suspect that you have been hacked. dr-dre.com? That won't be from a Sun package! It kinda looks like it's being run from rc2 directly. To see if that's the case...
ls -l /sbin/rc2
grep lp /sbin/rc2

I don't have it in my rc2. If it's not there, try:
grep lpstart /etc/init.d/*

Sure enough..

# grep lp /sbin/rc2
/usr/lib/lpstart
/usr/lib/lpstart
/usr/lib/lpstart
#

What do to now? Is there a way for me to find out which other binaries have been compromised?

Thanks for your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP 10.20 Won start

After I log ino the machine, a window pops up indicating that I should check that the HOSTNAME is the same in these three files /etc//rc.configd/netconf /etc/hosts /var/adm/inetd.sec How do I change the hostname in these files? Thanks, Mike h (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hutchin
1 Replies

2. Solaris

cannot find boot device and won't boot off cdrom

I'm running solaris 2.5.1. My main development server is DEAD, i can't even boot off the cdrom, it powers up, acts like it is starting the boot process but then says cannot find boot device. I've done the search here on this site and saw the other posts, but at the ok prompt it won't even let me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
3 Replies

3. SuSE

vsftpd won't start on SLES 10

I recently installed SLES 10 on an x86 64bit blade server. I then installed vsftpd from the suse cds through network services; however after configuring the vsftpd.conf file, the server fails to start: # /etc/init.d/vsftpd start Starting vsftpd startproc: exit status of parent of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave521
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

X Server won't start (Redhat 9) HELP

im running rh 9 on my vmware, i tryed changing the graphics card mode to resize the desktop, after restarting i get a message X Server cannot start. then it takes me to the consol screen to log on, "im new to using linux as of last night" It would be helpfull if anyone can help me resolve... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoteg
4 Replies

5. Solaris

production server won't start please help me!

if anyone can help me here I will be in debt eternaly. I'm in a spot here fearing for my job. I tried to install a new scsi array on our E5500. I powered it down correctly, removed the terminator, connected the array and powered it on. It was taking so long to come up I freaked out and powered... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ToolTalk won't start

on my AIX 6.1 CDE's ToolTalk server won't start. It says: dtsession: Unable to exec /usr/dt/install/oldrules/dtrmrules.driver. A file or directory in the path name does not exist. How can I fix this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
0 Replies

7. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

don't have nfsd mount point in /proc/fs/nfsd

hi guys I installed NFS server and everything started out fine but I don't have /proc/fs/nfsd entry and so I can't mount nfsd. Therefore I can't start my nfs service. Why don't I have /proc/fs/nfsd? How do I create that? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alirezan
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

vftpd won't start..

Hi, I am using redhat enterprise 5.7 have installed vsftpd successfully but every time I try to start the service it comes up with FAILED. Here is the contents of the vsftpd.conf file: # Allow anonymous FTP? (Beware - allowed by default if you comment this out). anonymous_enable=YES # #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: titley100
3 Replies

10. Fedora

Um, my computer suddenly won't start up

Okay, I'm fairly green at Fedora, but it has worked like a gem until now. On startup I get a screen that says this: Booting 'Fedora (3.6.11-4.fc16.x86_64)' Loading Fedora (3.611-4.fc16.x86_64) Loading initial ramdisk .... _Fedora-16-x86_6: Unexpected inconsistency; run fsck manually. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anchorsteamer
6 Replies
init.d(4)																 init.d(4)

NAME
init.d - initialization and termination scripts for changing init states SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d /etc/init.d is a directory containing initialization and termination scripts for changing init states. These scripts are linked when appro- priate to files in the rc?.d directories, where `?' is a single character corresponding to the init state. See init(1M) for definitions of the states. The service management facility (see smf(5)) is the preferred mechanism for service initiation and termination. The init.d and rc?.d direc- tories are obsolete, and are provided for compatibility purposes only. Applications launched from these directories by svc.startd(1M) are incomplete services, and will not be restarted on failure. File names in rc?.d directories are of the form [SK]nn<init.d filename>, where S means start this job, K means kill this job, and nn is the relative sequence number for killing or starting the job. When entering a state (init S,0,2,3,etc.) the rc[S0-6] script executes those scripts in /etc/rc[S0-6].d that are prefixed with K followed by those scripts prefixed with S. When executing each script in one of the /etc/rc[S0-6] directories, the /sbin/rc[S0-6] script passes a single argument. It passes the argument 'stop' for scripts prefixed with K and the argument 'start' for scripts prefixed with S. There is no harm in applying the same sequence number to multiple scripts. In this case the order of execution is deterministic but unspecified. Guidelines for selecting sequence numbers are provided in README files located in the directory associated with that target state. For example, /etc/rc[S0-6].d/README. Absence of a README file indicates that there are currently no established guidelines. Do not put /etc/init.d in your $PATH. Having this directory in your $PATH can cause unexpected behavior. The programs in /etc/init.d are associated with init state changes and, under normal circumstances, are not intended to be invoked from a command line. Example 1: Example of /sbin/rc2. When changing to init state 2 (multi-user mode, network resources not exported), /sbin/rc2 is initiated by the svc.startd(1M) process. The following steps are performed by /sbin/rc2. 1. In the directory /etc/rc2.d are files used to stop processes that should not be running in state 2. The filenames are prefixed with K. Each K file in the directory is executed (by /sbin/rc2) in alphanumeric order when the system enters init state 2. See example below. 2. Also in the rc2.d directory are files used to start processes that should be running in state 2. As in Step 1, each S file is executed. Assume the file /etc/init.d/netdaemon is a script that will initiate networking daemons when given the argument 'start', and will terminate the daemons if given the argument 'stop'. It is linked to /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon, and to /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon. The file is executed by /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon start when init state 2 is entered and by /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon stop when shutting the system down. svcs(1), init(1M), svc.startd(1M), svccfg(1M), smf(5) Solaris now provides an expanded mechanism, which includes automated restart, for applications historically started via the init script mechanism. The Service Management Facility (introduced in smf(5)) is the preferred delivery mechanism for persistently running applica- tions. Existing init.d scripts will, however, continue to be executed according to the rules in this manual page. The details of execution in relation to managed services are available in svc.startd(1M). On earlier Solaris releases, a script named with a suffix of '.sh' would be sourced, allowing scripts to modify the environment of other scripts executed later. This behavior is no longer supported; for altering the environment in which services are run, see the setenv sub- command in svccfg(1M). /sbin/rc2 has references to the obsolescent rc.d directory. These references are for compatibility with old INSTALL scripts. New INSTALL scripts should use the init.d directory for related executables. The same is true for the shutdown.d directory. 17 Aug 2005 init.d(4)