Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need help creating a script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help creating a script Post 66304 by Just Ice on Saturday 12th of March 2005 10:13:26 AM
Old 03-12-2005
jim's code as written is correct ...

but instead of just snmpget why don't you do a ping with a timeout first so you don't have to wait forever for each ip address ... i've modified jim's code below using a 5 second timeout on ping and taking out the "Timeout:" error ...

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
# assuming snmpget returns non-zero when printer not running snmp
echo "These ip addresses are not running snmp on " `date` > nosnmp.log
while read ipaddr
do
    ping $ipaddr 5 > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]
    then   
          snmpget -v 1 -c public $ipaddr sysName.0 2> /dev/null
          if [ $? -ne 0 ]; 
          then 
                echo "$ipaddr" >> nosnmp.log
          fi
     else
          echo "$ipaddr" >> nosnmp.log
     fi 
done < iplist.txt

or else you can simply do ... since an unpingable networked printer is technically off the network functionwise ... (assuming a 2 second ping timeout) ...

Code:
#! /bin/ksh
echo "These ip addresses are unpingable as of [ `date` ]\n" > noping.log
for ipaddr in `< iplist.txt`
do
     ping $ipaddr 2 2> /dev/null
     if [ $? -ne 0 ]
     then
           echo "$ipaddr" >> noping.log
     fi
done

exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

creating a new C script

All right. Heres the deal, I need to know everysingle command or funtion there is to create a new c file (file.c). Heres the catch: I cannot use text editors!!!:mad: I heard of a "gcc" command is that any good?:confused: Thanks..:cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbRa-KaDabRa
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating a script

I am trying to create a application in OSX through UNIX that will run a script to mount an image from a CD-ROM and run the application which it corresponds to, all with double clicking on a icon in OSX. Any thoughts or ideas? -Mad (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madknowledge
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

(Urgent):Creating flat file using sql script and sqlplus from UNIX Shell Script

Hi, I need help urgently for following issue. Pls help me to resolve this issue. I am calling sql script file(file1.sql) from UNIX Shell Script(script1.ksh) using sql plus and trying to create flat file that contains all records returned from SQL query in SQL script(file1.sql) I given... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: praka
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

5. Programming

need help with creating a sh script

Hi everyone I’m not a programmer and my knowledge of scripting is very poor, now I’m stock in a task at work and would really appreciate it if someone could help me out. Here is the problem: 1. I have a file with 9 million entries that look like this : 611424167 610864581 611881523 609585386... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiker1064
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a script

Alright, well I did some more research since I originally posted this thread, and as much as I'd like to delete it, I can't, so I'll just extend my initial question a little. Right now I have 3 scripts: 1#!/bin/bash # script1 - Write all files modfied x days ago find .. -daystart -mtime 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in creating file restoration script from a backup script.

Hi all i am struggling in creating a restore of env files while doing applications clone. the first file i created for copying the important configurations file which is running perfect now for reverting the changes i mean when i am restoring these files to its original places i have to do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating IN list in PLSQL script dynamically by using shell script

Hi all, I have a PLSQL script which has a IN list where it takes some ids as input. For example SELECT * FROM EMPLOYEE WHERE EMPLOYEE_ID IN (comma separated list ) I want to run this quest inside a shell script but I would like to prepare the IN list dynamically where the employee ids... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LoneRanger
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with creating a script

Hi everyone, I am completely new to this forum and I have some questions regarding a script I am writing. I would be happy if anyone could help me with the small and precise script which should include if, then, else, while until, case and select. The scenario is as follows: 1) A user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: codenotfound
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating script in rc.d

Hi, I have created customized scripts to start httpd and postgres (For CentOS 6) in /etc/init.d. However for it to work even after reboot, I have to put the script in /etc/rc.d/rc0.d, rc1.d, etc. # ls -lrt total 60 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 20199 Oct 4 2017 rc.sysinit -rwxr-xr-x 1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
6 Replies
BPING(1)							  BP executables							  BPING(1)

NAME
bping - Send and receive Bundle Protocol echo bundles. SYNOPSIS
bping [-c count] [-i interval] [-p priority] [-q wait] [-r flags] [-t ttl] srcEID destEID [reporttoEID] DESCRIPTION
bping sends bundles from srcEID to destEID. If the destEID echoes the bundles back (for instance, it is a bpecho endpoint), bping will print the round-trip time. When complete, bping will print statistics before exiting. It is very similar to ping, except it works with the bundle protocol. bping terminates when one of the following happens: it receives the SIGINT signal (Ctrl+C), it receives responses to all of the bundles it sent, or it has sent all count of its bundles and waited wait seconds. EXIT STATUS
These exit statuses are taken from ping. 0 bping has terminated normally, and received responses to all the packets it sent. 1 bping has terminated normally, but it did not receive responses to all the packets it sent. 2 bping has terminated due to an error. Details should be noted in the ion.log log file. FILES
No configuration files are needed. ENVIRONMENT
No environment variables apply. DIAGNOSTICS
Diagnostic messages produced by bping are written to the ION log file ion.log and printed to standard error. Diagnostic messages that don't cause bping to terminate indicate a failure parsing an echo response bundle. This means that destEID isn't an echo endpoint: it's responding with some other bundle message of an unexpected format. Can't attach to BP. bpadmin has not yet initialized Bundle Protocol operations. Can't open own endpoint. Another application has already opened ownEndpointId. Terminate that application and rerun. bping bundle reception failed. BP system error. Check for earlier diagnostic messages describing the cause of the error; correct problem and rerun. No space for ZCO extent. ION system error. Check for earlier diagnostic messages describing the cause of the error; correct problem and rerun. Can't create ZCO. ION system error. Check for earlier diagnostic messages describing the cause of the error; correct problem and rerun. bping can't send echo bundle. BP system error. Check for earlier diagnostic messages describing the cause of the error; correct problem and rerun. BUGS
Report bugs to <ion-bugs@korgano.eecs.ohiou.edu> SEE ALSO
bpecho(1), bptrace(1), bpadmin(1), bp(3), ping(8) perl v5.14.2 2012-05-25 BPING(1)