Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: restoring deleted files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers restoring deleted files Post 66058 by pressy on Thursday 10th of March 2005 06:03:45 PM
Old 03-10-2005
there will be no way to get these files back... there is no rubbish bin in UNIX

gP

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring tape files...

Hi all, I have kinda inherited this problem, but was wondering if anyone else had any ideas. Currently all our backup rentention periods are set to 2 weeks, so that we can cycle through tapes (save money etc...). Anyhow the guys next door in IT, decided one day long long ago, that it would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Problem restoring files from remote tape drive

Server 1 - Sun Solaris 5.8 sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R with attached DLT tape drive /dev/rmt/0n Server 2 - Old DG-UX box which has restore command on it compatible with the files on the backyup tape - backed up with dump2 Server 3 - Sun solaris 5.9 sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V490 with lots of free space... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lindab
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring back a deleted file in unix.

Hi, Can any one tell me how to restore back the deleted file in unix? I know the file name. If i know the inode number of the file does help more to restore back the file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

deleted all files - rm *

Hi All, I am using Fedora Core and Windows Xp. I deleted all the files from root directory. When i am trying to restart the computer it showing some grub > prompt. What i will do ? I have lots of data in XP OS. Please help me i used # rm * (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring a single file from a group of files using tar

Hello I take a backup using the following command on Solaris 9 tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n data the data volume contains a number of files say a, b, c , d ... etc Now I want to restore only one file (eg b) from the data volume. When I issue the command tar xvf /dev/rmt/0n data/b... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restoring files from CVS !

I have accidently removed a file using the command rm -r "file.txt" (I have removed it locally !) I need to restore the file.txt to my existing CVS version.How can I do it ? Please help. Thank you. :wall: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
5 Replies

7. Linux

Need help with deleted files

Hello. I am having a problem and I was wondering if I could get some help from here. I changed into a directory with the cd command and I wanted to delete a folder and all of its subdirectories, so I went ahead and did a rm --recursive * in my current directory to realize that I was in the wrong... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnydadesigner
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Restoring differential backup files

I'm using a script (automysqlbackup) to dump mysql db's to .sql file followed by taking one full backup of the .sql file and the differential backups of the newer sql file every day using the tool diff. Now the backup destination folder contains files like, I would like to how do i restore... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csengineer
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restoring files from backup based on ctime

Hello, I need to restore some yesterday emails from backup within a 5 hours timeframe this is a openvz container, backup is made by rsync files to another partition in the same server I have tried to do this #!/bin/sh cd /vz/backup/414/home/smartftp/mail/domain1.com/ for dir in new... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cuantica
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring deleted file with rm -rf

Is there a way I could recover a deleted text file with "rm -rf" command. Running CentOS 6.5. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
5 Replies
pop3d(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  pop3d(8)

NAME
pop3d - POP3 server SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/pop3d [-d] [-s] [-t trace-file] [-T timeout] OPTIONS
Sets the socket to debugging and turns on debugging. All debugging information is saved using syslogd. Turns on statistics logging using syslogd(8). At the end of each pop3d session, the following information is logged: username, number of messages deleted, number of bytes deleted, number of message left on server, number of bytes left on server. Turns on debugging and saves the trace information in trace-file using the fprintf(3) command. When the server is waiting for a command to arrive from the client, it times out after the speci- fied number of seconds and terminates the session. This avoids having pop3d processes hang forever waiting for command input from clients which have terminated abnormally. A small value is acceptable for small to medium networks where the network delay is within a few seconds. In this case 15-30 seconds is not unreasonable. Networks with large delays in sending packets (for example, SLIP links) may require a larger value. In this case 300 seconds (5 minutes) is not unreasonable. DESCRIPTION
The pop3d server is an implementation of the Post Office Protocol Version 3 from Qualcomm, Incorporated. It provides remote users with the ability to manage electronic mail on a UNIX system. Authentication The operating system supports the following types of authentication for the pop3d server: UNIX authentication using the /etc/passwd file, Authenticated POP (APOP), and enhanced security using C2. The default is UNIX authentication. To enable APOP authentication for a user, you must add the user to the mailauth database. See mailauth(8) and the Network Administration guide for more information. To use C2 secure authentication, you must configure your system to use C2 security. See secconfig(8) and the Security guide for more infor- mation. Logging The pop3d server uses the syslog daemon to keep a record of its activities. Messages are logged in the /var/adm/syslog.dated/date/mail.log file. Debugging The pop3d program will log debugging information when the -d parameter is specified after its invocation in the inetd.conf file. Care should be exercised in using this option since it generates considerable output in the mail.log file. Alternatively, the -t file-name option will place debugging information into file file-name using fprintf instead of syslog. You can confirm that the POP server is running by opening a telnet session to port 110. For example: % telnet myhost 110 Connected to myhost.berkeley.edu. Escape character is '^]'. +OK UCB Pop server (version 1.6) at myhost starting. quit +OK Pop server at myhost.berke- ley.edu signing off. Connection closed by foreign host. Extensions The server implements two extended commands: XTND XMIT Sends a mail message using /usr/sbin/sendmail. XTND XLIST header [num] Extracts and returns the specified header line for the specified message number. If the num parameter is missing, the command returns the header line for all the messages that are not currently marked for deletion. RESTRICTIONS
Note that this implementation of Qualcomm's POP3 server does not support Server Mode, Kerberos authentication, or the bulletin feature. FILES
mail files POP program invocation mail logging file SEE ALSO
Commands: inetd(8), mailauth(8), mailusradm(8), secconfig(8) Network Administration pop3d(8)