Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Empty Variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Empty Variable Post 66044 by gundu on Thursday 10th of March 2005 03:24:41 PM
Old 03-10-2005
Empty Variable

I am trying to assign list of files that created that day to a variable 'filename'
filename=`ls -ltr |grep "Mar 6" | awk '{print$9}'`

If there are no files created that day, my script just hangs, i need help with some login here.

i am also trying to figure out a way to look for files that are created , say for ex: yesterday Mar 9. I am trying with

DATE=`date +%b`
DATE1=`date +%d`
tem="$DATE $DATE1"

If I give one more space it won't reconize date. Need help

Thanks,
Gundu

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to capture empty variable.

sorry for the title of this thread- I figured out how to capture empty variable by using- if then ........ This thread originally had two parts in it (one for capturing empty variable and the other to get the date time in 14 char format). Once I figured out the solution for the first part... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if two variable are empty strings at once? (bash)

I need to check if $1 or $2 are empty before continuing but I don't know if bash has any logic of the sort. This is what I'm looking for - except that "and" doesn't seem to work. if and ;then ... Thank you! :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ph0enix
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the variable is empty with spacing

How to check the variable is empty or not? aaa=" " how to check aaa variable is empty or just spacing? If only spacing inside.. it will asume it is empty. some are 6 spacing, or 8 spacing.. as long as variable is empty with spacing.. anyone can help me? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryanW
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check a variable for empty and a newline

I have a variable with a new line. I want to check this variable for empty or a new line Can anyone advise (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuraj K
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read variable from file show empty

Hi Folks, I am trying to read input from single line from a file and pass the read variable to one of the commands. However when I run the script it keeps the variable to be empty. I can however echo the variable ( but why it is empty when it goes to the command). Any help will be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhadu
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

Compare Empty Variable

Hello All, I am running the below code in my script. I want if jk is empty nothing should be appened to the file total_usage. but apparently its not happening.Kindy let me know how to do it. ################################### jk=`ps auxf |grep -w $inputline|tr -s " "|cut -d... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I change a variable to something only if it's empty?

I feel like it is just a matter of using the $ operators correctly, but I can't seem to get it... hostname="network" ip="192.168.1.1" netmask="" variables=( $hostname $ip $netmask ) for var in ${variables} do if ; then $var="--" fi done echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: etranman1
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check whether a variable is empty or contains some value?

hi, i want to check whether a a variable contains some value or is empty in a shell script. so if the variable contains some value i want to do some job and if the variable doesnt contain any value then i need to skip that job. here is a sample script read_filenames.sh contains ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stupid question to check if variable is empty

Hi, I am simply trying to check if the variable is empty in the code below but it isn;t working. Anything that I might have missed here #Check if values in job card are not empty title=`cat $filename | grep "TITLE:" | cut -d ":" -f3` if ] then echo "10:Title Empty" ":Fail">> $rptfile... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue using empty variable in grep command

Hi, I'm writing a shell script and trying to grep a variable value, it works fine as long as there is a value in /tmp/list.out which is captured in $DSK but sometimes the file tends to be empty and that is where I'm having an issue while using grep which returns nothing. I know I can use something... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
15 Replies
BZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BZGREP(1)

NAME
bzgrep, bzfgrep, bzegrep - search possibly bzip2 compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
bzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzegrep [ egrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzfgrep [ fgrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Bzgrep is used to invoke the grep on bzip2-compressed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If bzgrep is invoked as bzegrep or bzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, bzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep bzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; bzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca). Adapted to bzip2 by Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> for Debian GNU/Linux. SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), bzdiff(1), bzmore(1), bzless(1), bzip2(1) BZGREP(1)