Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Scripting Best Practices
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Scripting Best Practices Post 66040 by indo1144 on Thursday 10th of March 2005 02:18:08 PM
Old 03-10-2005
Log-function

In a private message, I was asked how the log-function worked that I described above. Since this might be helpful to other people too, I'm answering the question in public.

First of all, I use Bash, don't know if this trick works in other Shells.

Content of script:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
. lib/functions.conf # mind the SPACE between the DOT and the path/filename!!! 
logfile=scheduler.log
func_eventlog "STARTING ABG JOB"
-=script runs some more, but that's irrelevant, the example is clear=-

Content of file: lib/functions.conf which by the way is executable :

Code:
################################################
#                                              #
# Log functie                                  #
# Usage:                                       #
# func_eventlog "Dit wil ik loggen"            #
# Variabelen:                                  #
# $logfile (logfile inclusief pad)             #
################################################

func_eventlog()
{
	echo -e "`date` - $1" >> $logfile
}

So whenever I want something logged, I just use:

func_eventlog "Send this text to logfile"

and I never ever have to worry about accidentally overwriting my logs instead of appending to them. Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell Best Practices

I am new to ksh scripts (still reading manuals). I need to write an application that reads a multi-line parameter file, builds sql on-the-fly, runs plsql and saves the output in a specific format for further processing. I am looking for anything on Best Practices for building such an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtravis
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

emergency shutdown best practices.

Has anyone implemented or have suggestions on how to shutdown many remote unix/linux servers from a single script initiated from 1 server? I need this to execute in parallel as time is not on my side. Our ups is sadly underrated and will die in approximately 15 minutes. (There is not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsw371
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell scripting best practices - trap command

I know there is a command called trap which can be used to capture the signals from a shell script and redirect the control to a required function (such as a cleanup). My question is - Those of you who have written lot of shell scripts - do you always write a set of trap commands to capture... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_evc
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best practices for Source control

Hi all, i am trying to incorporate source control management in my project. We have about 50 - 60 shell scripts on 3 different machines dev, stag and production, but there is no source control. All the files have to be located at specific locations on each machine for it to work I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chvs2000
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Script Best Practices

Hey there. I am a relative rookie when it comes to Linux/Unix Administration and have been learning to adapt my meager coding skill to working with shell scripts in the 'nix realms. I have done some exhausting searches for and found plenty of information on making scripts globally available but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tenuous
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Best practices

Dear all, Kinda lame question but i'd like to hear your experiences and advice. Question in short ----------------- What permission should a mount point "ideally" have - i think it's root. Ex:- /usr/app/ i'd set the app to be owned by root and within /usr/app i would create another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ossupport55
1 Replies

7. Linux

Virtualization best practices

Hello admins and gurus I have a controversial topic: now we are investing in a new Linux OS that will hold our Sybase database. The server will virtualized on a VMware server hosted on SAN storage. Now the question is, when we install the database engine is it better - in terms of performance -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
1 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.41.11 March 2010 LOGSAVE(8)