Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris UNIX Printer Setup
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Solaris UNIX Printer Setup Post 6603 by pkappaz on Friday 7th of September 2001 10:52:06 PM
Old 09-07-2001
Solaris UNIX Printer Setup

I have a HP laserjet 5Si MX on a Microsoft network that I need to route my print output to. I have setup a host that amounts to just the ip address of the printer, and created a printer that is connected to that host. My print is sent directly to the printer, but it is not formatted correctly. Nowhere during the setup process am I allowed to select a driver for the printer that I am setting up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX printer setup

Hi, not entirely sure if this should be here or IP networking for dummies... I am trying to set up a new printer remotely (large office). The people at the other end have no problems printing to it from a Microsoft environment (Word, Excel, etc). However, they are unable to print to it from Unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ypnos
4 Replies

2. IP Networking

printer port setup

Does anybody know how to add a printer from network in Solaris 10 using IP settings? according to our IT support, in order to add this printer in Windows XP we introduce it as a local printer which is connected to a port with an IP address, like 128.79.44.110. Anyway I don't know how it can be done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arash05
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Printer Setup

How do you add a HP network printer on a Sun Solaris Unix box? I have the IP address of the printer. I try using the admintool tool, but am confusing about setup the printer to connect to the IP address... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: racquetbal
4 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

printer/filter setup

trying to get my laserjet to print under FC5. Got APSFILTER; what to answer to question 'parallel or serial printer port when it is USB? Do I need an updated filter software? I tried 'parallel', get 'permission denied when I try lp or lpr command- thanks- Marshall (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blann
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 setup remote printer queue help

I am trying to setup a remote printer (home users printer) through Solaris 8. The IP address is 172.16.17.10 and I can ping the printer, a local windows printer queue has been setup and works but now I am trying to setup a remote Unix printer queue. With this being a remote printer, do I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miredale
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Setup HP Cp3505n printer with Solaris 10

Please someone help me to setup HP Cp3505n running with Solaris 10. Thanks so much! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Caktus
3 Replies

7. Linux

Printer Setup(s)

I'm so frustrated. I have almost no experience with setting up printers and networking through Linux. That being said, I need some help. In fact, I don't even know if this setup is possible, and for all I know, I might need a Window's solution. I'm a hardcore Linux guy, so talk to me that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drewrockshard
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Create Unix printer in sun Solaris

Guy's Can anyone explain how to Create Unix printer in Solaris what's the exact steps to create Unix direct printer ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

Remote printer setup on solaris 10 host

Hi All, I am trying setup a remote printer on a solaris 10 server. The printer is online and working fine is solaris 8. I have added the pritner to /etc/hosts file and /etc/printers.conf ... I need to know followings: 1. How do I find the default pritner port on the old solaris machine... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
0 Replies

10. Hardware

Printer Setup

Hi, I have set up an HP printer, model 2300, on an Integrity server sunning on HP-Ux B.11.31 using the Jetdirect Printer Installer For Unix, version E.10.34. This particular printer is printing the same job multiple times and I cannot figur out why that is. Is ther perhaps a flag in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Koketso
1 Replies
xdpr(1X)																  xdpr(1X)

NAME
xdpr - dump an X window directly to a printer SYNOPSIS
xdpr [filename] [-display host:display] [-Pprinter] [-device devtype] [option...] OPTIONS
Specifies a file containing a window dump (created by xwd) to be printed instead of selecting an X window. Specifies a printer to send the output to. If a printer name is not specified here, xdpr (really, lpr or lp) will send your output to the printer specified by the PRINTER environment variable. Be sure that type of the printer matches the type specified with the -device option. host:display Normally, xdpr gets the host and display number to use from the environment variable DISPLAY. One can, however, specify them explicitly; see X(1X). Spec- ifies the device on which the file will be printed. Currently supported: LA100 HP LaserJet series and other monochrome PCL devices such as ThinkJet, QuietJet, RuggedWriter, HP560 series, and HP930 series printers LN03 HP PaintJet (color mode) HP HP PaintJet XL Color Graphics Printer (color mode) IBM PP3812 PostScript printer The default is PostScript. -device lw (LaserWriter) is equivalent to -device ps and is provided only for backwards compatibility. This option displays the list of options known to xdpr. Any other arguments will be passed to the xwd, xpr, and lpr or lp commands as appropriate for each. DESCRIPTION
The xdpr command uses the commands xwd, xpr, and lpr orlp to dump an X window, process it for a particular printer type, and print it out on the printer of your choice. This is the easiest way to get a printout of a window. xdpr by default will print the largest possible representation of the window on the output page. The options for xdpr are the same as those for xpr, xwd, and lpr or lp. The most commonly-used options are described above; see the manual pages for these commands for more detailed descriptions of the many options available. ENVIRONMENT
which display to use by default. which printer to use by default. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1985, 1988, X Consortium See X(1X) for a full statement of rights and permissions. SEE ALSO
xwd(1X), xpr(1X), lpr(1), lp(1), xwud(1X), X(1X) AUTHORS
Paul Boutin, MIT Project Athena Michael R. Gretzinger, MIT Project Athena Jim Gettys, MIT Project Athena xdpr(1X)