Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comma Delimited Output w/ egrep Post 66025 by indianadoug on Thursday 10th of March 2005 12:03:51 PM
Old 03-10-2005
Question Comma Delimited Output w/ egrep

Hi all,

I have an input file that I am pulling out certain phases using the following commands:

cat /nodes.txt | egrep -e 'OSVersion|PrimaryNodeName'

Currently the output looks like this:

OSVersion - 5.0
PrimaryNodeName - serverA
OSVersion - 5.0
PrimaryNodeName - serverB
OSVersion - 5.0
PrimaryNodeName - serverC

I would like to comma delimit the output either between the OSVersion - 5.0 and PrimaryNodeName or after PrimaryNodeName, so that I can export to Excel and end up with OSVersion - 5.0 in one column and PrimaryNodeName in a second column.

So my hope was to have the output look something like this:

OSVersion - 5.0
PrimaryNodeName - serverA,
OSVersion - 5.0
PrimaryNodeName - serverB,
OSVersion - 5.0
PrimaryNodeName - serverC,

Apprecaite any direction that could be provide.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comma Delimited file

I have a comma delimited file that sometimes has addresses details in. The problem is that the address detail can be seen as: "Sample House, Sample Road". When I run a script specifying the file is comma delimited I would like it to ignore comma's that are in between speech marks. Is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix

Hi, Can anyone let me know on how to convert a Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix Thanks!! (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan81
22 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comma delimited file

Hi All, I have output of sql saved in comma separated file. Now i need to read line by line this file and assign word to a unix variable for further processing Eg: Test file world, 1, 3, 4 earth,2,3,4,5 moon,1,2,3,4 Output should be word1= world word2=1 echo " first word... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwrm
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote command output to file comma delimited

All, I am trying to run a command that will get the serial number, model, and hostname of a server and then output the 3 fields comma delimited. Then a new line to separate the 3 fields for each host. So, I run a for loop that reads in the list of hosts in a file and then runs these sudo... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux - Script to generate the output delimited by Comma/Pipe

Hi All, I have a requirement where I need to go to a directory, list all the files that start with person* (for eg) & read the most recent file from the list of files. While browsing through the forum, i found that the command ls -t will list the files. I am trying to generate the output... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comma delimited file manipulation

Question about how to change the first & last name in column one & two so that the names have a capital letter for just the first letter. Example: asdf@asdf.com,asdf,asdfasdf,176.23.22.345,4/12/2012 changed to: asdf@asdf.com,Asdf,Asdfasdf,176.23.22.345,4/12/2012 Thank you kindly, Nick (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickytcom
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to convert comma delimited files to semi colon delimited

Hi All, I need a unix script to convert .csv files to .skv files (changing a comma delimited file to a semi colon delimited file). I am a unix newbie and so don't know where to start. The script will be scheduled using cron and needs to convert each .csv file in a particular folder to a .skv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarpKing
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep how to make sure string is after 5 comma

Hello, Need help... using egrep how do I make sure string is after 5th comma example: a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i Suppose i want to search letter f but want to make sure it is after 5th comma. Is there any way to check string is after 5th comma? Thanks !! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
9 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

ASCII comma-delimited

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi Guys, I am new on the scripting world and would like ask for help if you can. Here are my questions... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahiwaga
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
xls2csv(1)						      General Commands Manual							xls2csv(1)

NAME
xls2csv - reads MS-Excel file and puts its content as comma-separated data on standard output SYNOPSIS
xls2csv [-xlV] [-f format ] [-b string ] [-s charset ] [-d charset ] [-q number ] [-c char] files DESCRIPTION
xls2csv reads MS-Excel spreadsheet and dumps its content as comma-separated values to stdout. Numbers are printed without delimiters, strings are enclosed in the double quotes. Double-quotes inside string are doubled. OPTIONS
-x print unknown Unicode chars as xNNNN, rather than as question marks -l list known charsets and exit successfully -cchar cell separator char. By default - comma. -bstring sheet break string. This string (by default - formfeed) would be output at the end of each workbook page. This string is printed after page starting at start of line, but no linefeed would be automatically added at the end of string. Include newline at the ent of sheet separator if you want it to appear on separate line by itself -gnumber number of decimal digits in the numbers. By default maximal double precision (system-dependent macro DBL_DIG) is used. -qnumber set quote mode. In quote mode 0 cell contents is never quoted. In quote mode 1 only strings which contain spaces, double quotes or commas are quoted. In quote mode 2 (default) all cells with type string are quoted. In quote mode 3 all cells are quoted. -dcharset` - specifies destination charset name. Charset file has format described in CHARACTER SETS section of catdoc(1) manual page. By default, current locale charset would be used if langinfo support was enabled at the compile time. -scharset - specifies source charset. Typically, Excel files have CODE PAGE record, which denotes input charset, but for some reason you may wish to override it. -fformat - specifies date/time format to use for output of all Excel date and time values. If this option is not specified, format, speci- fied in the spreadsheet is used. On POSIX system any format, allowed by strftime(3) can be used as value of this option. Under MS- DOS xls2csv implements limited set of strftime formats, namely m, d, y, Y, b, l, p, H, M, S. -V outputs version number FILES
${HOME}/.catdocrc, catdoc charset files and substitution map files (see catdoc(1) manual page for details, SEE ALSO
cat(1), catdoc(1), strings(1), utf8(7), unicode(7) AUTHOR
V.B.Wagner <vitus@45.free.net>, based on biffview by David Rysdam MS-Word reader Version 0.94.4 xls2csv(1)