Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SUN IPC Workstation Q
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SUN IPC Workstation Q Post 6597 by shaggy on Friday 7th of September 2001 07:09:27 PM
Old 09-07-2001
Question SUN IPC Workstation Q

I know that there are lots of UNIX pros here so I'm asking for some help. I have recently acquired 2 SUN IPC Workstations. The stations were destined for the garbage so I was unable to talk to the owners. Neither of them will make it through the boot process. One gives an error "le0: No carrier-- transceiver cable problem?” This message repeats through an endless loop. Could it be looking to boot from somewhere on the network. The other station looks for a loopback return signal; again it is looking to the network. I have no idea of what the ip's were set to for these machines so I can't adjust my network for them.

How can I format the drives for new Solaris installations? There is no cdrom drive and no access to the OS, as I can't get them to boot successfully.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by shaggy; 09-07-2001 at 09:09 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MIB OID for my Sun workstation

hi, as far as i know, every sun solaris 8 workstation has a snmp agent running by default. i want to know my SNMP agent MIB oid. please tell me how to find out this information. thanks and urgent (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: champion
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to backup a Sun Ultra 60 workstation?

Hi, I'm currently an CS intern working at a small biotech company that has just opened a new office. We are working on a new project, but we were given an older Sun workstation with just a SCSI interface in the back. We don't have a systems administrator, so a couple of us have been working hard... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PSC
7 Replies

3. Solaris

How to install Sun Solaris 10 inside VMware Workstation 5.5

Some members asked about this way, click Here u will find what u want (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sound Of Wisdom
1 Replies

4. Solaris

installing a UPS on a sun workstation

Has anyone ever setup the APC powerchute (business edition agent) software, using a USB drive on any solaris machines? We installed the software, and it doesnt seem to be giving the option for a /dev/usb device, it only gives options of /ttya, ttyb etc... anyone ever done this with a USB? or... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help to configure Sun Blade 150 workstation

Hi, I am new to UNIX. I have a Sun Blade 150 worksation. I used a Dell monitor and Dell keyboard as input and output devices. However, workstation always told me that keyboard couldn't be found. I used Dell keyboard with USB and Dell keyboard with series connector. It all didn't work. Please help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
10 Replies

6. Solaris

sun ultra 10 workstation

Hi All, I bought a sun workstation from ebay. Can I replace the cd-rom drive with a dvd-rom drive with any type? I mean, can I just buy a dvd-rom drive from a pc store? Thanks, itik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 on Sun W2100z workstation?

I am looking to buy W2100z workstation. I want to run solaris 10 on it. I realize it's a few years old, from 2004. Is it a good machine to get or should I look for a newer workstation? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etc
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Adding new Hdd in sun 10 with vmware workstation

hi, i am using vmware workstation 6.0 and i installed sun solaris 10. when i add new hard disk(vm->>settings->>add). when i start the system and try to use format command there i only see my old one hdd (new added hdd is not showing). but my new hdd is showing at the bottom right as a icon where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anand15880
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Sun Workstation Hardware - Is it broken?

Hi everyone! I have an odd question - If a sun workstation (Blade 2000) boots up into a login prompt, is there any chance that it could have hardware issues? Or once it gets that far is it 100% working. I cant play with it before buying, so was interested to see if anyone could shed some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajdiamond
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Need Sun Ultra 20 M2 Workstation Tools and Drivers CD 1.9

content deleted (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hmb
1 Replies
LO(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     LO(4)

NAME
lo -- software loopback network interface SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device loop DESCRIPTION
The loop interface is a software loopback mechanism which may be used for performance analysis, software testing, and/or local communication. As with other network interfaces, the loopback interface must have network addresses assigned for each address family with which it is to be used. These addresses may be set or changed with the SIOCSIFADDR ioctl(2). The loopback interface should be the last interface configured, as protocols may use the order of configuration as an indication of priority. The loopback should never be configured first unless no hard- ware interfaces exist. DIAGNOSTICS
lo%d: can't handle af%d. The interface was handed a message with addresses formatted in an unsuitable address family; the packet was dropped. SEE ALSO
inet(4), intro(4), ns(4) HISTORY
The lo device appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Previous versions of the system enabled the loopback interface automatically, using a nonstandard Internet address (127.1). Use of that address is now discouraged; a reserved host address for the local network should be used instead. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 5, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution