Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers single user mode - user accounts passwords Post 65792 by orestis on Wednesday 9th of March 2005 07:01:34 AM
Old 03-09-2005
single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear about single user mode but i dont know how to boot this. thanks in advance!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode

Hi all, why "vi" acts differently is single user mode? Does anyone help ? I am using "x" to delete and it keeps messing up. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Single user mode

Hi all, Well back at work and back to crashing systems again :-) Does anyone know where I can find some decent information on single user mode? I need to be able to fix a few things. Don't know if it's possible in single user mode but I need to fix the "etc/vfstab" mainly I re-wrote it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single-user mode

how do you boot into single user mode? RedHat 7.1 Caldera 2.4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorro81
2 Replies

4. Solaris

adding a user in single user mode

Just got a solaris 8 blade 150 box with no users, only a root account. no one seems to know the password. I'd like to add one user. So I booted into single user mode via cdrom and added one. Can't seem to login using the new account, though. Here's what I'm using: # useradd -d /tmp/"user" -m... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

Is there another way of switching to single user mode except by typing /usr/sbin/shutdown 0 ??? :rolleyes: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

How to diable the single user mode.. what i want is dat my users are unable to boot in single user mode via GRUB.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankit.jss
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Single user mode?

How to enter single user mode when UNIX/LINUX system is starting? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gkreddy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change passwords for User accounts on multiple UNIX/Linux machines remotely?

Hello Experts, Need some direction on creating shell script for following environment: We have about 20 people in the team working as Oracle DBA's (sysdba's and appdba's). Total Servers which is a mix of Unix and Linux are 200. We do not have Root user access on any of the servers and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sha2402
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Single user mode

Hi all I am new on sun OS. I have have little experience on linux. The Story start from this point: I want to put some script on start-up the terminal, but I cant do that. my shell was sh and I tried so much to find way to do that. at last someone said to me change your shell to bash. I ask how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahim_T
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Single user mode

Dear All I am trying to install my os as : ok>boot cdrom - install but receiving the following : "IDprom checksum error getexecname() failed /sbin/rcS /etc/vfstab cannot create INIT:failed write utmpx enrty INIT:single user mode INIT:execle of /etc/sulogin failed Enter run level" Can you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies
netid(4)							   File Formats 							  netid(4)

NAME
netid - netname database SYNOPSIS
/etc/netid DESCRIPTION
The netid file is a local source of information on mappings between netnames (see secure_rpc(3NSL)) and user ids or hostnames in the local domain. The netid file can be used in conjunction with, or instead of, the network source: NIS or NIS+. The publickey entry in the nss- witch.conf (see nsswitch.conf(4)) file determines which of these sources will be queried by the system to translate netnames to local user ids or hostnames. Each entry in the netid file is a single line of the form: netname uid:gid, gid, gid... or netname 0:hostname The first entry associates a local user id with a netname. The second entry associates a hostname with a netname. The netid file field descriptions are as follows: netname The operating system independent network name for the user or host. netname has one of two formats. The format used to specify a host is of the form: unix.hostname@domain where hostname is the name of the host and domain is the network domain name. The format used to specify a user id is of the form: unix.uid@domain where uid is the numerical id of the user and domain is the network domain name. uid The numerical id of the user (see passwd(4)). When specifying a host name, uid is always zero. group The numerical id of the group the user belongs to (see group(4)). Several groups, separated by commas, may be listed for a single uid. hostname The local hostname (see hosts(4)). Blank lines are ignored. Any part of a line to the right of a `#' symbol is treated as a comment. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample netid file. Here is a sample netid file: unix.789@West.Sun.COM 789:30,65 unix.123@Bldg_xy.Sun.COM 123:20,1521 unix.candlestick@campus1.bayarea.EDU 0:candlestick FILES
/etc/group groups file /etc/hosts hosts database /etc/netid netname database /etc/passwd password file /etc/publickey public key database SEE ALSO
netname2user(3NSL), secure_rpc(3NSL), group(4), hosts(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), publickey(4) SunOS 5.11 23 May 1994 netid(4)