Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: major difference
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory major difference Post 65787 by sriram.s on Wednesday 9th of March 2005 06:21:45 AM
Old 03-09-2005
Error major difference

guys,
pls help me out.
i hv good idea in redhat linux
in what areas i need 2 concentrate 2 mk me much
familiar with that of solaris.
Smilie pls let me know the major diff found in these two
os.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Major Problem! i think

Hi, I relly could use your expert help. We have an Sun Solaris machine here at my company and the person that is the administrator is at vacation. The machined hangd and when we restarted it, it said. "Disconnected tagged cmd(s) (1) timeout for target 1.0 " What does this mean? can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajjan2
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to reuse same major number

Hi, I am working on device drivers.Once If register a device i'll get one major no. If i unregister and register again i'll get a different major no.What i have to do to get same major no. each time :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agnello
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Major system issue!!! HELP

Last week our server went down. I narrowed it down the the hard drive. I received a new drive but I REALLY need some info off the old drive. I want to get the old drive up long enough to do a dd copy. Here's what I tried.............. After trying to freeze the old drive (wasn't spinning up) to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

4. AIX

Difference between Major and Minor in AIX

Difference between Major and Minor in AIX (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
5 Replies

5. AIX

major no

hi what is meant by major no in vg what is meant by concurrent vg i cant understand these two things (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
3 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Major Application

Hi there all I am going to be a new admin (AIX,Redhat,Suse, and Solaris). I know these OS's at basic to intermediate level..somewhat. i would like to know what are corporate level sys admin softwares that are commanly used day to day . i know its a broad question. but i just wanna know few... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
2 Replies

7. AIX

VG major number in HACMP

HI All, I would like to know is it compulsory to keep major number of shared VG's on cluster nodes to be same..? I have come across a situation where on one node major number of shared vg is the major number of altinst_rootvg on other node..how to overcome this situation..? shan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: to_bsr
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Major File Reformat

Hello, I have many lengthy files that need to be reformatted. I was hoping a sed or awk script could fix this. Here is an example of the original format: P0037 # Degree: 32.999981 # COMMAND: 03 (#01A) Scale 1.296875, 52 (Wooden Crate w/ #2 Label, Bahko) v -3328.000000 12.101541 437.000000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blue Solo
2 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Major achievement ... applause!

Dear fellow *nixers, please join me congratulating Corona688 for reaching the lonesome, lorn landmark of 4500 thanks! What an achievement in the gruelling ordeal of servicing these fora. Incredible. All the best RĂ¼diger (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RudiC
9 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Major Changes in New UserCP (v0.63) Prototype

Regarding the latest version of the UserCP prototype (version 0.63) I have made a lot of major changes, including Added a "Posts Timeline" table for the recent posts, complimenting the non-table version earlier, which has been moved off the main menu (link at the bottom of the table). Added a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)                                                 System Administration                                                SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)