Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ftp :bin and ascii
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Ftp :bin and ascii Post 65758 by reborg on Tuesday 8th of March 2005 09:22:31 PM
Old 03-08-2005
ASCII is a 7bit format, the last bit is always 0, and so only 7 bits are transferred in ASCII mode the 0 being appended to create the full byte.

In binary mode this is not the case and all 8 bit are transferred. If the file bing transferred was ASCII to begin with you won't see a problem, but if you transfer a binary as ascii it will become corrupted.

Hope this explains both the different data transfers sizes and identical file sizes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP'ed in ASCII a word file, how to recover

This is my worst nightmare in recent years!!! I spent two days writing a proposal due tomorrow, ftp'ed the Word doc to a Unix machine in ASCII mode (i forgot to turn BIN on). Then I was trying to help a colleague download it and I accidently download the ASCII file back to the same dir on my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkir
1 Replies

2. AIX

y bin while ftp???

gud afternoon 2 all.... while ftp wat s d use of getting into binary mode...... i need briefly.. can any one help me out???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrlog
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp - determine ascii or binary file

Hello, How to i determine via ftp commandline if files on ftp server is ascii or binary files. Like every other comon windows ftp program does it automatically. regards Thomas (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: congo
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find whether a file is transferred thro bin or ascii mode?

Hi Gurus, I need to find out, if i have transferred a file from ftp thro bin mode or ascii mode. Say if i have a file called "dec.sh"( u shuld normally transfer thro ascii mode). How can i find out that dec.sh is tranferred from ftp server thro ascii mode or bin mode? Any help would be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ascii FTP from Linux to Linux adding carriage returns

Hi, I've got an issue with a shell script that FTP's a file from one Linux server to another Linux server. My script runs on a Linux server and creates an output file (from a database call), and then FTP's this file to another Linux server. The problem is that, even though the output file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: roysterdoyster
0 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Issue with Non ascii character

I have one file .dat file on windows server containg the following text "Bürki" Now When I am using FTP (get) command from UNIX server the text is appering is as "Bürki" I want to preserve the text in the file on UNIX server as it is in source file. Could you please suggest some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhushan D
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to download recursively a folder using /usr/bin/ftp and cshell?

Hi, friends, I am meet a ftp download problem when using cshell and /usr/bin/ftp command. I want to download recursively a folder dira from FTP server. dira ---dira1-----dira2------dira3-----dira4 |--file11 |--file21 |--file31 |--file41 |--file12 |--file22 |--file32 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: weichanghe2000
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

After Ftp'ing file to destination how to check the file if it is in correct ASCII and not corrupted

Hi Folks, While transferring file from FTP software like Filezilla the files gets corrupted. Is there any way I can check if the recently transferred file is in ASCII and not corrupted. I have tried using file -i filename command which does tell if the file character set is ASCII or binary... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khan28
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

FTP stuck in 150 ascii after executing command

Hi, We have 2 linux RH servers (Server A and Server B), that were configured the same way. Same OS version, same ftp client, etc. The ftp client that we had installe, was downloaded from rpmbone site and the filename is: ftp-0.17-53.el6.x86_64 The permissions were already set up... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cees09
1 Replies
TFTP(1) 							UNIX User's Manual							   TFTP(1)

NAME
tftp - IPv4 Trivial File Transfer Protocol client SYNOPSIS
tftp [options...] [host] DESCRIPTION
tftp is a client for the IPv4 Trivial file Transfer Protocol, which can be used to transfer files to and from remote machines, including some very minimalistic, usually embedded, systems. The remote host may be specified on the command line, in which case tftp uses host as the default host for future transfers (see the connect command below.) OPTIONS
-v Default to verbose mode. -V Print the version number and configuration to standard output, then exit gracefully. COMMANDS
Once tftp is running, it issues the prompt tftp> and recognizes the following commands: ? command-name... help command-name... Print help information ascii Shorthand for mode ascii. binary Shorthand for mode binary. connect host [port] Set the host (and optionally port) for transfers. Note that the TFTP protocol, unlike the FTP protocol, does not maintain connec- tions between transfers; thus, the connect command does not actually create a connection, but merely remembers what host is to be used for transfers. You do not have to use the connect command; the remote host can be specified as part of the get or put com- mands. get file get remotefile localfile get file1 file2 file3... Get a file or set of files from the specified sources. A remote filename can be in one of two forms: a plain filename on the remote host, if the host has already been specified, or a string of the form host:filename to specify both a host and filename at the same time. If the latter form is used, the last hostname specified becomes the default for future transfers. mode transfer-mode Specify the mode for transfers; transfer-mode may be one of ascii (or netascii) or binary (or octet.) The default is ascii. put file put localfile remotefile put file1 file2 file3... remote-directory Put a file or set of files to the specified remote file or directory. The destination can be in one of two forms: a filename on the remote host, if the host has already been specified, or a string of the form host:filename to specify both a host and filename at the same time. If the latter form is used, the hostname specified becomes the default for future transfers. If the remote-direc- tory form is used, the remote host is assumed to be a UNIX system or another system using / as directory separator. quit Exit tftp. End-of-file will also exit. rexmt retransmission-timeout Set the per-packet retransmission timeout, in seconds. status Show current status. timeout total-transmission-timeout Set the total transmission timeout, in seconds. trace Toggle packet tracing (a debugging feature.) verbose Toggle verbose mode. NOTES
The TFTP protocol provides no provisions for authentication or security. Therefore, the remote server will probably implement some kinds of access restriction or firewalling. These access restrictions are likely to be site- and server-specific. AUTHOR
This version of tftp is maintained by H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com>. It was derived from, but has substantially diverged from, an OpenBSD source base, with added patches by Markus Gutschke and Gero Kulhman. SEE ALSO
tftpd(8). tftp-hpa 0.32 13 November 2001 TFTP(1)