Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers is it possible to echo 'some text' every 10 minutes on my screen Post 65727 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 8th of March 2005 04:38:21 PM
Old 03-08-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkandati
is it possible to echo 'some text' every 10 minutes on my screen continues ,
without cron.
a 'busy-loop' approach:

busy.sh
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

while : 
do
  echo 'some text'
  sleep 600
done

busy.sh &

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo or print to screen and file

I did a search for this topic but I couldn't find it and I was sure I have seen something similar before (hard because I am not sure of the criteria for the keywords) What I was looking for was to be able to echo a message to the screen from a bash.sh script at the same time logging it to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shakey21
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert minutes to hours, minutes, seconds

How would you convert lets say a 1000 minutes to hours, minutes, seconds (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vozx
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set variable to Home, then echo it to screen

Major Newbie here folks. I'm trying to set a variable to my Home directory and then echo it to the screen. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Anna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amidget
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo to both screen and a file

Please help me to simplify my below script. #!/bin/bash LOG_FILE=/tmp/log.txt echo "Hello" echo "Hello" >> /tmp/log.txt Is there anyway, that I can echo "Hello" to both screen and file with one single echo command ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamp008
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo 2 txt files to screen no carraige return

I have two text files, each of then only containing ONE line and NO carraige return or white space at the end...how do I echo both of these text files to the screen without putting an extra line? I want to do this from the command line. file1.txt: this is file1.txt 1 file2.txt: this is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect an "echo" to log and screen?

Hi folks. Within a script, i am trying to redirect the output of my commands to both log file and onscreen... Here is the section, where i write to the logfile. But i'd like to send the "echo "Creating LUN $2$COUNTER..." to screen as well... Can that be done? Thanks. { subtitle... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo command with screen and ssh

Hi, i need to execute echo command to write in a txt file on a remote machine. i did it in this way: ssh user@remotemachine "echo "put text here" > /home/user/myfile.txt" I tried to run the same command within a detached screen in this way: ssh user@remotemachine screen -dm "echo "put... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brembo
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo both to the screen and to a file

In shellscript, I want to display echo message in console and in the log file. please help me to display this message in two places. I am using below statment to display messsage, but it is displaying in log file only. echo "Server Already running" >> serverlog 2>&1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kri
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to convert days hours minutes seconds to minutes?

Hi, please help with below time conversion to minutes. one column values: 2 minutes 16 seconds 420 msec 43 seconds 750 msec 0 days 3 hours 29 minutes 58 seconds 480 msec 11 seconds 150 msec I need output in minutes(total elapsed time in minutes) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramu.badugula
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a log file for the last 5 minutes of contents every 5 minutes

Hi all, System Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS i have the following log INFO 2019-02-07 15:13:31,099 module.py:700] default: "POST /join/8550614e-3e94-4fa5-9ab2-135eefa69c1b HTTP/1.0" 500 2042 INFO 2019-02-07 15:13:31,569 module.py:700] default: "POST /join/6cb9c452-dcb1-45f3-bcca-e33f5d450105... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
15 Replies
VM_PAGE_GRAB(9) 					   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					   VM_PAGE_GRAB(9)

NAME
vm_page_grab -- returns a page from an object SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <vm/vm.h> #include <vm/vm_page.h> vm_page_t vm_page_grab(vm_object_t object, vm_pindex_t pindex, int allocflags); DESCRIPTION
The vm_page_grab() function returns the page at pindex from the given object. If the page exists and is busy, vm_page_grab() will sleep while waiting for it. If the page does not exist, it is allocated. The function sleeps until the allocation request can be satisfied. The function requires the object to be locked on entry, and returns with the object locked. If the vm_page_grab() function sleeps for any reason, the object lock is temporary dropped. The vm_page_grab() supports all of the flags supported by vm_page_alloc(9). In addition, vm_page_grab() supports the following flags: VM_ALLOC_IGN_SBUSY When waiting for the busy state of the existing page to drain, only test for exclusive busy; ignore the shared busy counter. RETURN VALUES
The vm_page_grab() always returns the page. SEE ALSO
vm_page_alloc(9) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>. BSD
August 23, 2013 BSD