Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Take a file from the system and put on tape and reset the file to 0 bytes Post 6547 by JackieRyan26 on Thursday 6th of September 2001 01:29:26 PM
Old 09-06-2001
Data Take a file from the system and put on tape and reset the file to 0 bytes

Smilie I did this the other day but one of my support personnel removed my history so i could call it back up to remeber the exact command since i am air-headed at times. I am trying to take a 30 MEG file off the system and drop it to tape then i want to make the file go back to being 0 bytes so the system can start writing a new file. I am running a running HP Unix 11.0 and it is on a L-2000 class system. Please can anyone answer this scenerio the less keystrokes the happier i will be!! Thanks

Last edited by JackieRyan26; 09-06-2001 at 02:31 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Reset?????

I'm changing from SCO UNIX to Red Hat Linux. In the UNIX box when backing up my data to tape I usually do this: tape reset sleep 5 nohup tar ................... I want to know if there is a way to do "tape reset" in Red Hat Linux. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrivas
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Space free on tape /delete a single file on tape

Hi, I' using a sun solaris server, I would like to known if there is the possibility to control how many space is free on a tape and how I can delete a single file on a tape. Thanks DOMENICO (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first N bytes and last N bytes from a binary file on AIX.

Hi all, Does anybody know or guide me on how to remove the first N bytes and the last N bytes from a binary file? Is there any AWK or SED or any command that I can use to achieve this? Your help is greatly appreciated!! Best Regards, Naveen. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveendronavall
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tarred files not being put on tape

Hi I normally backup to tape using the following command in Solaris 9 on SUN Enterprise 3500 server: tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n data but after a power cut, the server went down without being shutdown since the UPS failed. Now when I issue the tar command I get the root (/) being full looks like it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X bytes of 0, Y bytes of random data, Z bytes of 5, T bytes of 1. ??

Hello guys. I really hope someone will help me with this one.. So, I have to write this script who: - creates a file home/student/vmdisk of 10 mb - formats that file to ext3 - mounts that partition to /mnt/partition - creates a file /mnt/partition/data. In this file, there will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razolo13
1 Replies

7. Solaris

How to take backup of ZFS file system on a tape drive?

Hi Guys, I want to take backup of a ZFS file system on tape drive. Can anybody help me with this? Thanks, Pras (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get file's first x bytes

is there a better way to do this: head -c 10000k /var/dump.log | head -c 6000k unfortunately, the "-c" option is not available on sun solaris. so i'm looking at "dd". but i dont know how to use it to achieve the same exact goal as the above head command. this needs to work on both solaris... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies