Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: backing up
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers backing up Post 6525 by patvdv on Thursday 6th of September 2001 06:47:32 AM
Old 09-06-2001
Maybe you should use a no-rewind device. I am no Solaris guy but for HP-UX e.g. there is an important difference between /dev/rmt/0m (rewind) and /dev/rmt/0mn (no rewind)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backing Up Directories

Hi Guys, I'm writing a shell script that presents the user with various options, they select one (numbered 1-9) and it then excecutes the correct code. No problem, but I'm having slight difficulty with one option. The user can select to backup all the files in the current directory to another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indigoecho
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best practises for backing up

Hi, I'm about to start a regular backup schedule for my Linux system. I need some pointers if I may :) The system is *mainly* used as a personal home computer (it's actually a laptop running SuSE 9.2) although I do host some client material from it being a PHP developer. I know that in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backing up the vtoc

Can you backup the vtoc, then restore it if you somehow mess it up? This is solaris 9, x86. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Backing up the system

Hello Mentors, Before anything else I would like to thanks to all expert here especially Pressy as he guided me to recover our server from disk failure. I posted a lot of question from these forum site concerning on how to recover our server and luckly you guys help me. Our server is now up and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
6 Replies

5. AIX

what am i backing up

we are running aix on are server. we would like to start doing online backups, but the software company that we use is not beeing much help on what files we are backing up. is there a command that will tell me what files that we are backing up. they offer a service that would back it up for use,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shane.hankins
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in backing up of databases.

Hi Everyone, I am new to DBA stuff. I wonder if anyone can help me. Task is that, I have 10 databases and need to take backups of all the databases using data pump in Unix/Linux, compress them using gzip and use cron to schedule the job twice a day. Appreciate if anyone can help me in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreepriya0987
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems backing up a folder

So I play on a minecraft server that keeps crashing, then rolling back, losing about 30 minutes of data. I don't own the server I'm just writing it for him. So I'm trying to have the script make a back up of the server every 5 minutes as long as it is bigger than the back up, since as more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: matt_j_the_king
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Backing up Solaris 10 servers

Got 5-6 Solaris 10 servers in remote location - power work being done. At the moment, we just back up the application database that these servers run with the idea that if it all goes wrong we can rebuild and then restore the application. However, requirement is to provide a complete backup... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paulfoel
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Backing up and restoring RHEL 6.3 VM

Hi! I am administering a system I didn't configure. I know it is a RHEL 6.3 VM image and there are others as well. How do I make a backup of the image and of the filesytems, in case I screw up the configuration. How can I restore it as well. My plan is this 1) Find out what kind of VM,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: md888
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backing up an entire HD

Are there any recommended methods for Backing up an entire HD? I want to backup my data. I do not care about the OS file. I just want my work, movies, and music. I have about 600 GB of work, movies, and music so a bit worried about fragmentation if I just copy and paste. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - tape archiver SYNOPSIS
tar [ key ] [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tar saves and restores files on magtape. Its actions are controlled by the key argument. The key is a string of characters containing at most one function letter and possibly one or more function modifiers. Other arguments to the command are file or directory names specify- ing which files are to be dumped or restored. In all cases, appearance of a directory name refers to the files and (recursively) subdirec- tories of that directory. The function portion of the key is specified by one of the following letters: r The named files are written on the end of the tape. The c function implies this. x The named files are extracted from the tape. If the named file matches a directory whose contents had been written onto the tape, this directory is (recursively) extracted. The owner, modification time, and mode are restored (if possible). If no file argument is given, the entire content of the tape is extracted. Note that if multiple entries specifying the same file are on the tape, the last one overwrites all earlier. t The names of the specified files are listed each time they occur on the tape. If no file argument is given, all of the names on the tape are listed. u The named files are added to the tape if either they are not already there or have been modified since last put on the tape. c Create a new tape; writing begins on the beginning of the tape instead of after the last file. This command implies r. The following characters may be used in addition to the letter which selects the function desired. 0,...,7 This modifier selects the drive on which the tape is mounted. The default is 1. v Normally tar does its work silently. The v (verbose) option causes it to type the name of each file it treats preceded by the function letter. With the t function, v gives more information about the tape entries than just the name. w causes tar to print the action to be taken followed by file name, then wait for user confirmation. If a word beginning with `y' is given, the action is performed. Any other input means don't do it. f causes tar to use the next argument as the name of the archive instead of /dev/mt?. If the name of the file is `-', tar writes to standard output or reads from standard input, whichever is appropriate. Thus, tar can be used as the head or tail of a filter chain Tar can also be used to move hierarchies with the command cd fromdir; tar cf - . | (cd todir; tar xf -) b causes tar to use the next argument as the blocking factor for tape records. The default is 1, the maximum is 20. This option should only be used with raw magnetic tape archives (See f above). The block size is determined automatically when reading tapes (key letters `x' and `t'). l tells tar to complain if it cannot resolve all of the links to the files dumped. If this is not specified, no error messages are printed. m tells tar to not restore the modification times. The mod time will be the time of extraction. FILES
/dev/mt? /tmp/tar* DIAGNOSTICS
Complaints about bad key characters and tape read/write errors. Complaints if enough memory is not available to hold the link tables. BUGS
There is no way to ask for the n-th occurrence of a file. Tape errors are handled ungracefully. The u option can be slow. The b option should not be used with archives that are going to be updated. The current magtape driver cannot backspace raw magtape. If the archive is on a disk file the b option should not be used at all, as updating an archive stored in this manner can destroy it. The current limit on file name length is 100 characters. TAR(1)