Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers System environment Path in Linux Post 6504 by spine_me on Wednesday 5th of September 2001 11:23:48 PM
Old 09-06-2001
environment path

Quote:
Originally posted by Neo
How you change the environmental variables depends on which you are working in, because the shell is the environment.
I could not simple java commands, it says command not found although i already have installed jre1.3.1. What could be the solution to this? tnx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How does the PATH and MANPATH environment variable get set?

Hi, How does the PATH and MANPATH environment variable get set? I want to add "/opt/SUNWspro/bin" to the search path for all the users. Where can I access this variable. I know in my home directory, depend on which shell I use, there are files such as .profile and .cshrc which I can edit to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retreiving environment variable from remote system

I am trying to write a short block of code that takes a partial filename as input from the command line, then searches multiple remote servers for any file that matches the pattern. If the pattern is found, I would like to return the value of an environment variable from the *remote* server. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bschnair
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Path Environment Variable

Hi..... I'm kind of new to c programming in Unix...need help here. Supposed to write a source code to support Path environment variable for my programming assignment for Spring semester. but i'm kind of stuck. Could anyone out there assist me? prompt> /bin/ls My program could output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tancy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

:: in PATH environment variable

whats the meaning of :: colon in PATH environment? /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/gnu/bin::.:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/gnu/bin:/usr/local/bin and whats the meaning of // in PATH ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in getting the path of environment variable set in bashrc in my shell script

hi all i have joined new to the group. i have set an variable in my bashrc file. .bashrc PROGHOME=/home/braf/braf/prog export PROGHOME but while using it in my shell script its path is not taken and i had to explicitly give the export command to set the path. in my script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: krithika
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path Environment

How do we change path environment? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehmetned
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 10.0 PATH environment

Hello, I am using Solaris 10.0 and defining PATH on command line by the following way: #export PATH=/usr/sfw/bin.... ...but after restart, Solaris forgets what I defined and I need to re-define the same PATH environment. I want to to get defined my PATH environment during booting... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: XNOR
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove a path from PATH environment variable

Hi I need a script which will remove a path from PATH environment variable. For example $echo PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:test/rmve:/usr/games $echo rmv test/rmve Here I need a shell script which will remove rmv path (test/rmve) from PATH... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu84
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help Setting Path and Environment Varibles

Hello all, I have a Mac OS X (10.7), and I need to set environment variables and paths for some programs I will be running. I have followed instructions and searched the Web for where to do this, but I can't seem to find an answer. I have tried using the VIM editor to write them into my .login,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tyler_92
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

PATH environment variable

PATH is an environment variable. When I open a terminal say terminal 1 and set some path in PATH variable it gets set which I can see using ech $PATH. But when I open a new terminal say terminal 2 and fire echo $PATH why cannot I see the same output as seen in terminal terminal 1? Why the path... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
4 Replies
command(1)						      General Commands Manual							command(1)

NAME
command - Treats command arguments as simple commands SYNOPSIS
command [-p] command_name [argument...] command [-v | -V] command_name The command command causes the shell to treat the arguments to command as simple commands, and suppresses the default shell function lookup. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: command: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Performs the command search using a default value for PATH that is guaranteed to find all of the standard utilities. Writes a string to standard output that indicates the path name or command to be used by the shell in the current shell execution environment to invoke com- mand_name. Writes a string to standard output that indicates how the name given in the command_name operand will be interpreted by the shell in the current shell execution environment. DESCRIPTION
The command command allows you to run the following commands: User-defined commands whose names correspond to shell built-in commands. System commands whose names correspond to shell built-in commands. The command_name argument specifies the name of a utility. The one or more optional arguments to command_name specify strings treated as arguments to the specified utility. It also provides information concerning how a command name will be interpreted by the shell. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] If command_name is not the name of a function, the effect of command is the same as would be obtained by specifying com- mand_name without command. RESTRICTIONS
Since the -v and -V options to command produce output in relation to the current shell execution environment, if command is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, it may not produce correct results. The following are examples of this type of opera- tion: (PATH=foo command -v) nohup command -v EXIT STATUS
When the -v or -V options are specified, command returns one of the following values. Successful completion. The command_name could not be found, or an error occurred. If the -v or -V options are not specified, command returns one of the following values on error. The utility specified by command_name was found but could not be invoked. An error occurred in the command command, or the utility specified by the command_name argument could not be invoked. If no error occurs, the exit status of command is that of the command specified by the arguments to command. EXAMPLES
To ensure execution of the simple command pwd instead of the pwd shell built-in command, enter the following: command -p pwd The preceding command displays the full path name of the current directory, and does not perpetuate a view of the current directory loca- tion created by links as the shell built-in command might do. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of command: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization variables contains an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message cat- alogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. Determines the search path used during the command search unless the -p option is specified. SEE ALSO
Commands: env(1), hash(1), type(1) Standards: standards(5) command(1)