Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar Files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tar Files Post 65 by pingdom on Sunday 8th of October 2000 10:29:16 PM
Old 10-08-2000
How do I install .tar files? Can I unzip them on my local computer (win95) and then copy them to my server?

What is the deal with these?

Thanks for your time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Untaring *.tar.tar files

Hi all, How to untar a file with .tar.tar extension. A utility that i downloaded from net had this extension. Thanks in advance, bubeshj. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubeshj
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process the files using .tar.gz files in script

Hi, I have some file in /users/xyz directoty with .tar.gz extension. i need to find these files and if found in need to run other commands. I now the command for finding files,but how to put if condition ?please help me Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmkreddy
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.tar.tar files

I downloaded what I thought was a gziped file (at least on remote server it had a .gz extention) and once I had it it was filename.tar.tar..I tried the standard untar tar -xvf filename on it and get an error. Does anyone know what's going on? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: capeme
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tar .gz files?

I have the gzip utility installed on machine and now i am compressing the files using gzip command. i need to archive the .gz files using the tar command, but i get the command 'tar' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. do i need to install the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to tar all files except logs and .txt files

Hi I greatly appreciate the forum and the people here very helpful :) I could able to tar all the directories, sub dirs and the files. But unable to tar all the directories excluding the log and text files. Can anyone please advise the exact command to use for excluding .log and .txt? PS:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivia
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Command to remove existing files in the tar files in Solaris 10

Hi, I am using solaris 10 OS.Please help me out with the commands needed in below two scenarios. 1)How to delete the existing files in the tar file. suppose i have a main tarfile named application.tar and it contains a file called ingres.tar. what is the command to remove ingres.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create zip/gz/tar files for if the files are older than particular days in UNIX or Linux?

I need a script file for backup (zip or tar or gz) of old log files in our unix server (causing the space problem). Could you please help me to create the zip or gz files for each log files in current directory and sub-directories also? I found one command which is to create gz file for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mallikgm
4 Replies
CLIENTUPDATE(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   CLIENTUPDATE(1)

NAME
clientupdate - Xymon client update utility SYNOPSIS
clientupdate [options] DESCRIPTION
clientupdate is part of the Xymon client. It is responsible for updating an existing client installation from a central repository of client packages stored on the Xymon server. When the Xymon client sends a normal client report to the Xymon server, the server responds with the section of the client-local.cfg(5) file that is relevant to this client. Included in this may be a "clientversion" value. The clientversion received from the server is com- pared against the current clientversion installed on the client, as determined by the contents of the $BBHOME/etc/clientversion.cfg file. If the two versions are not identical, clientupdate is launched to update the client installation. OPTIONS
--level Report the current clientversion. --update=NEWVERSION Attempt to update the client to NEWVERSION by fetching this version of the client software from the Xymon server. --reexec Used internally during the update process, see OPERATION below. --remove-self Used internally during the update process. This option causes the running clientupdate utility to delete itself - it is used during the update to purge a temporary copy of the clientupdate utility that is installed in $BBTMP. USING CLIENTUPDATE IN HOBBIT
To manage updating clients without having to logon to each server, you can use the clientupdate utility. This is how you setup the release of a new client version. Create the new client Setup the new client $BBHOME directory, e.g. by copying an existing client installation to an empty directory and modifying it for your needs. It is a good idea to delete all files in the tmp/ and logs/ directories, since there is no need to copy these over to all of the clients. Pay attention to the etc/ files, and make sure that they are suitable for the systems where you want to deploy this new client. You can add files - e.g. extension scripts in the ext/ directory - but the clientupdate utility cannot delete or rename files. Package the client When your new client software is ready, create a tar-file of the new client. All files in the tar archive must have filenames rela- tive to the clients' $BBHOME (usually, ~xymon/client/). Save the tarfile on the Xymon server in ~xymon/server/download/some- file.tar. Dont compress it. It is recommended that you use some sort of operating-system and version-numbering scheme for the filename, but you can choose whatever filename suits you - the only requirement is that it must end with ".tar". The part of the filename preceding ".tar" is what Xymon will use as the "clientversion" ID. Configure which hosts receive the new client In the client-local.cfg(5) file, you must now setup a clientversion:ID line where the ID matches the filename you used for the tar- file. So if you have packaged the new client into the file linux.v2.tar, then the corresponding entry in client-local.cfg would be clientversion:linux.v2. Wait for hobbitd to reload client-local.cfg hobbitd will automatically reload the client-local.cfg file after at most 10 minutes. If you want to force an immediate reload, send a SIGHUP signal to the hobbitd process. Wait for the client to update The next time the client contacts the Xymon server to send the client data, it will notice the new clientversion setting in client- local.cfg, and will run clientupdate to install the new client software. So when the client runs the next time, it will use the new client software. OPERATION
clientupdate runs in two steps: Re-exec step The first step is when clientupdate is first invoked from the hobbitclient.sh script with the "--re-exec" option. This step copies the clientupdate program from $BBHOME/bin/ to a temporary file in the $BBTMP directory. This is to avoid conflicts when the update procedure installs a new version of the clientupdate utility itself. Upon completion of this step, the clientupdate utility automat- ically launches the next step by running the program from the file in $BBTMP. Update step The second step downloads the new client software from the Xymon server. The new software must be packed into a tar file, which clientupdate then unpacks into the $BBHOME directory. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
clientupdate uses several of the standard Xymon environment variables, including BBHOME and BBTMP. SEE ALSO
xymon(7), bb(1), client-local.cfg(5) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 CLIENTUPDATE(1)