Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Some interesting questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Some interesting questions Post 64916 by Perderabo on Wednesday 2nd of March 2005 05:59:24 PM
Old 03-02-2005
For some of this, it's not clear what you want. For many signals, the default action is to terminate the process. This means the kernel kills it pretty much as if the process had called exit(). Some signals can be "caught". This means that a function runs instead. Well behaved processes catch signals and clean up temp files, release resources, etc. But a process cannot catch 9. 9 will instantly kill a process (if it's killable).

A pipe, you write data on one side and read the data from the other side. What else do you want here?

process1 | process2
Kill either process and nothing at all happens to the other process. However the pipe is broken. If process1 dies, the next time that process2 tries a read from the pipe, it will get eof. Many programs will decide to exit at this point. If process2 dies, process1 will get a SIGPIPE on the next write. The default action for SIGPIPE is exit. But a program can catch or ignore the signal. Both mechanisms depend on data flowing across the pipe.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

An interesting problem

hi!, here is an interesting problem ..... I ftp a file named " my first file.doc" from windows to my HP workstation. Ftp is succesful. The file appears with the same name in my home directory.. But now how do I open this file?? while using Vi or More or other editor, they take only the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

interesting problem

After a server reboot for regular mainatanance we face the following situation: 1/ user accounts with ksh can't start the korn shell 2/ korn shell scripts do work however, if executed from bash 3/ normal users with bash can't run ksh 4/ root can run ksh 5/ if I switch the default shell to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
3 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

How can I get some interesting books?

I am not a native English speaker. I wanna improve my English. But I am kind of lazy, so I decide to pratice my English by reading English novel. I'd like read books about magic or superman and so on. How can I get that kind of books from Internet? I'll really appreciate it!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: virmin
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Here is an interesting idea...

Does anyone know how to test if an ethernet interface is alive, or accepting connections? Here is the scenario - I have rsc and sc console interfaces on some Suns. There are some sporadic vulnerability scans that send them out to lunch when they run the scans. I have to login to the host and reset... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lm_admin_dh
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

interesting problem

Hi, I am new in this forum and I am glad to be a part of it. I have a problem that has two parts: 1/ extract just the timestamp from a filename: for example, I have a file called 'sales20080226144525.txt' and I want to extract just the '20080226144525' part out of it. 2/ Now, take that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Very Interesting Problem

Ok Lets say i have a webpage on a solaris box. and i am trying to make a hyperlink. This hyperlink references a Microsoft Access file on a Windows box. So, How do i make a file reference from The unix box to a windows box. Things to keep in mind -- 1.) Solaris doesnt need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demon002
6 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies
FIFO(7) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   FIFO(7)

NAME
fifo - first-in first-out special file, named pipe DESCRIPTION
A FIFO special file (a named pipe) is similar to a pipe, except that it is accessed as part of the file system. It can be opened by multi- ple processes for reading or writing. When processes are exchanging data via the FIFO, the kernel passes all data internally without writ- ing it to the file system. Thus, the FIFO special file has no contents on the file system; the file system entry merely serves as a refer- ence point so that processes can access the pipe using a name in the file system. The kernel maintains exactly one pipe object for each FIFO special file that is opened by at least one process. The FIFO must be opened on both ends (reading and writing) before data can be passed. Normally, opening the FIFO blocks until the other end is opened also. A process can open a FIFO in nonblocking mode. In this case, opening for read only will succeed even if no-one has opened on the write side yet, opening for write only will fail with ENXIO (no such device or address) unless the other end has already been opened. Under Linux, opening a FIFO for read and write will succeed both in blocking and nonblocking mode. POSIX leaves this behavior undefined. This can be used to open a FIFO for writing while there are no readers available. A process that uses both ends of the connection in order to communicate with itself should be very careful to avoid deadlocks. NOTES
When a process tries to write to a FIFO that is not opened for read on the other side, the process is sent a SIGPIPE signal. FIFO special files can be created by mkfifo(3), and are indicated by ls -l with the file type 'p'. SEE ALSO
mkfifo(1), open(2), pipe(2), sigaction(2), signal(2), socketpair(2), mkfifo(3), pipe(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-03 FIFO(7)