Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Some interesting questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Some interesting questions Post 64822 by willhunter on Wednesday 2nd of March 2005 01:56:53 PM
Old 03-02-2005
RTM,

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the fact that "No homework/classwork questions". I am writing some IPC code, and I am facing some difficulties. For example, for my 1st question , i am confused about, when I kill process2, process1 remains there, and when I kill process1, process2 remains there 9isnt this weird??), and thats why i posted the question in a simple manner. Also for rest of th questions, same thing, I know that, stromg kill is called as strong coz, it cannot be caught by the process, and in turn process gets terminated, but I wanted to find what actually happens "internally".

I hope i have cleared that those are not homework/classwork questions.

Thank you

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

An interesting problem

hi!, here is an interesting problem ..... I ftp a file named " my first file.doc" from windows to my HP workstation. Ftp is succesful. The file appears with the same name in my home directory.. But now how do I open this file?? while using Vi or More or other editor, they take only the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

interesting problem

After a server reboot for regular mainatanance we face the following situation: 1/ user accounts with ksh can't start the korn shell 2/ korn shell scripts do work however, if executed from bash 3/ normal users with bash can't run ksh 4/ root can run ksh 5/ if I switch the default shell to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
3 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

How can I get some interesting books?

I am not a native English speaker. I wanna improve my English. But I am kind of lazy, so I decide to pratice my English by reading English novel. I'd like read books about magic or superman and so on. How can I get that kind of books from Internet? I'll really appreciate it!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: virmin
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Here is an interesting idea...

Does anyone know how to test if an ethernet interface is alive, or accepting connections? Here is the scenario - I have rsc and sc console interfaces on some Suns. There are some sporadic vulnerability scans that send them out to lunch when they run the scans. I have to login to the host and reset... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lm_admin_dh
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

interesting problem

Hi, I am new in this forum and I am glad to be a part of it. I have a problem that has two parts: 1/ extract just the timestamp from a filename: for example, I have a file called 'sales20080226144525.txt' and I want to extract just the '20080226144525' part out of it. 2/ Now, take that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Very Interesting Problem

Ok Lets say i have a webpage on a solaris box. and i am trying to make a hyperlink. This hyperlink references a Microsoft Access file on a Windows box. So, How do i make a file reference from The unix box to a windows box. Things to keep in mind -- 1.) Solaris doesnt need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demon002
6 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies
KILL(1) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - terminate a process SYNOPSIS
kill [ -s signal | -p ] [ -a ] [ -- ] pid ... kill -l [ signal ] DESCRIPTION
The command kill sends the specified signal to the specified process or process group. If no signal is specified, the TERM signal is sent. The TERM signal will kill processes which do not catch this signal. For other processes, it may be necessary to use the KILL (9) signal, since this signal cannot be caught. Most modern shells have a builtin kill function, with a usage rather similar to that of the command described here. The `-a' and `-p' options, and the possibility to specify pids by command name is a local extension. OPTIONS
pid... Specify the list of processes that kill should signal. Each pid can be one of five things: n where n is larger than 0. The process with pid n will be signaled. 0 All processes in the current process group are signaled. -1 All processes with pid larger than 1 will be signaled. -n where n is larger than 1. All processes in process group n are signaled. When an argument of the form `-n' is given, and it is meant to denote a process group, either the signal must be specified first, or the argument must be preceded by a `--' option, otherwise it will be taken as the signal to send. commandname All processes invoked using that name will be signaled. -s signal Specify the signal to send. The signal may be given as a signal name or number. -l Print a list of signal names. These are found in /usr/include/linux/signal.h -a Do not restrict the commandname-to-pid conversion to processes with the same uid as the present process. -p Specify that kill should only print the process id (pid) of the named processes, and not send any signals. SEE ALSO
bash(1), tcsh(1), kill(2), sigvec(2), signal(7) AUTHOR
Taken from BSD 4.4. The ability to translate process names to process ids was added by Salvatore Valente <svalente@mit.edu>. Linux Utilities 14 October 1994 KILL(1)