Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running a.out on Cygwin
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Running a.out on Cygwin Post 64173 by milhan on Sunday 27th of February 2005 09:33:29 PM
Old 02-27-2005
Question I have the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by oombera
First try typing ./a.out

By default, the current directory is not in your path, so you must explicitly tell it a.out is in the current directory.

Most likely, the current directory you're in is not included in that path. You must either add the directory you're in to the $PATH variable or precede your program with a period (which represents the current directory).
ok,
However, should I modify the path variable each time I move to another directory or create a new directory to compile and run programs in? There should be a short way to tell the shell that will not require me to modify the PATH each time I change/create directories. For example in school Unix machine this does not happen. I always create new directories and compile and run new programs and I never need to modify the PATH. But when I switch to cygwin the shell does not recognise the executable in a new directory...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cygwin

Hi , I have cygwin software on my machine. can i practice shell script on that software or not? thanks sam71 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam71
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to prevent job1 from running while job2 is running..

Hi, Please I need your expert advise on how to prevent/lock from execution job1 while job2 is still running in Unix... THanks:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tikang
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cygwin X

I have managed a successful install of Cygwin (after a few tries), and like any sensible person am ignoring the console in favour of the xconsole. I have this set up how I want - tcsh, all hot-keys (including ^z for suspend) and et cetera, but find it awfully slow. Are there any good... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fulgura
7 Replies

4. Linux

cygwin

I'm trying to run the make command in cygwin. The directory is d:\resiprocate-1.2.3\resip\dum\test. But the command outputs: cant open perl script "c:\Program": No such file or directory why??...check the attached JPEG file....plz help (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_well
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cygwin - sh-3.2$ help!

i am completely new to unix and am trying to learn with cygwin. my problem is simple.... when i use the 'man' command, eg 'man cat' id do not know how to get out of the manual!!!? if i type '!' and Return, rather than having just the $ prompt, it has 'sh-3.2$' as a command prompt.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby999
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

opening new instance of cygwin from withing cygwin

I'm using cygwin on win7, What I would like to do is something like this: cygstart cygwin tail -f /foo/test.log | perl -pe 's/error/\e I know I can start a new instance using either of these: mintty -e ... cygstart tail ... But neither of those open in ANSI mode, so I can't do... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Validatorian
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running shell script in Cygwin terminal

I am new to shell scripting. I tried to run a simple shell script using Cygwin terminal in Win XP env. The script I have written is as follows - #!/bin/bash a=5 ] && echo "true" || echo "false" But when I execute the script, getting some confusing error. The error I am getting are - ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_learner
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running q-shell commands( on IBM-i Series) from cygwin terminal (on windows)

I have cygwin installed on windows server and when I do echo $SHELL the output is /bin/bash I have created a ssh tunnel from this windows server through cygwin to ibm -i series which is running Q-shell. I am trying to invoke a utility wsadmin (used for scripting) on ibm-i from the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav99
12 Replies

9. Programming

Running python script in cygwin

I have python installed here on windows: C:\Python27 and can run a script from the command line but would rather use cygwin. $ cd "C:\Users\cmccabe\Desktop\annovar" cmccabe@DTV-L2231M5J /cygdrive/c/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/annovar $ python run_batch_job.py Traceback (most recent call last):... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running Powershell Script from Linux through Cygwin

Hello Experts, I am creating a run time powershell script on Linux machine and copying that powershell script to Windows machine. To connect to windows through "ssh", I am using Cygwin tool. To make the connection password less I copied my public in authorized_keys in windows Administrator... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
5 Replies
FILECAP:(8)						  System Administration Utilities					       FILECAP:(8)

NAME
filecap - a program to see capabilities SYNOPSIS
filecap [ -a | -d | /dir | /dir/file [cap1 cap2 ...] ] DESCRIPTION
filecap is a program that prints out a report of programs with file based capabilities. If a file is not in the report or there is no report at all, no capabilities were found. For expedience, the default is to check only the directories in the PATH environmental variable. If the -a command line option is given, then all directories will be checked. If a directory is passed, it will recursively check that directory. If a path to a file is given, it will only check that file. If the path to the file includes capabilities, then they are written to the file. OPTIONS
-a This tells the program to show all capabilities starting from the / directory. Normally the PATH environmental variable is used to show you capabilities on files you are likely to execute. -d This dumps all capabilities for reference. EXAMPLES
To check file capabilities in $PATH: filecap To check file capabilities of whole system: filecap -a To check file capabilities recursively in a directory: filecap /usr To check file capabilities of a specific program: filecap /bin/passwd To list all possible capabilities: filecap -d To set a file capability on a specific program: filecap /bin/ping net_raw net_admin SEE ALSO
pscap(8), netcap(8), capabilities(7). AUTHOR
Steve Grubb Red Hat March 2009 FILECAP:(8)