Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unmatched 'then'
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unmatched 'then' Post 6402 by patvdv on Tuesday 4th of September 2001 05:24:16 PM
Old 09-04-2001
The 'here' doc is the statements between EOF and EOF.

I am pretty sure the quoting is the problem because I vaguely remember bumping into it myself. Unfortunately I don't have access right now to one of the servers where we store similar scripts, so I can't check. Try to add the double quotes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to subtract 2 hours from 'date' in shell ( /bin/sh ) script ?

I write a sh script that zip and copy to tape all files that older then 2 hours. 1. The way I choose is - touch a file with "now - 2 hours", then use fine with '! -newer' 2. Do you have any other idea to do it ? tnx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yairon
1 Replies

2. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Terminal 'Local Echo' lost on Modem Dial-out

Can anybody help me? I am developing a utility for automating message paging to a BT alphanumeric pager. I am using a USR 56K Fax-modem connected to /dev/cuab on a Sun Ultra-10. I am using the UNIX 'tip' utility to connect to the modem and I have configured the modem as follows: Baud Rate:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mybeat
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

HELP! The '/var/adm/message' file increase every few seconds???

Hi, guys, I have a big problem. I've got a sun solaris 4.1.4 workstation, and the /var/adm/message file will add one row every few seconds. It soon becomes a large file. I wander if there are some mistakes configuring the workstation. the /var/adm/message is as follow: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cloudsmell
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

BELKIN 'F5D5020' 16bit PCMCIA - FreeBSD HOWTO

Hey all, I've bought a few bits from Belkin who seem quite happy to support FreeBSD! Last time I bought a UPS from them and it's still going well :D I saw this on their website that the 16bit PCMCIA card was supported under FreeBSD: http://www.belkin.com/network/F5D5020.html I went to my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WIntellect
0 Replies

8. Email Antispam Techniques and Email Filtering

Procmail recipe: blocking 'unsubscribe and opt-out' messages....

Here is a crude procmail recipe that I quickly created (NOT a procmail recipe expert, btw) that has been catching lots of spam (current second after the charset_spam recipe posted earlier): :0B * .*If.you.do.not.wish.to.receive...* more_spam :0B * You.requested.to.receive.this.mailing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies
GETS(3) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   GETS(3)

NAME
fgetc, fgets, getc, getchar, gets, ungetc - input of characters and strings SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int fgetc(FILE *stream); char *fgets(char *s, int size, FILE *stream); int getc(FILE *stream); int getchar(void); char *gets(char *s); int ungetc(int c, FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
fgetc() reads the next character from stream and returns it as an unsigned char cast to an int, or EOF on end of file or error. getc() is equivalent to fgetc() except that it may be implemented as a macro which evaluates stream more than once. getchar() is equivalent to getc(stdin). gets() reads a line from stdin into the buffer pointed to by s until either a terminating newline or EOF, which it replaces with a null byte (''). No check for buffer overrun is performed (see BUGS below). fgets() reads in at most one less than size characters from stream and stores them into the buffer pointed to by s. Reading stops after an EOF or a newline. If a newline is read, it is stored into the buffer. A terminating null byte ('') is stored after the last character in the buffer. ungetc() pushes c back to stream, cast to unsigned char, where it is available for subsequent read operations. Pushed-back characters will be returned in reverse order; only one pushback is guaranteed. Calls to the functions described here can be mixed with each other and with calls to other input functions from the stdio library for the same input stream. For nonlocking counterparts, see unlocked_stdio(3). RETURN VALUE
fgetc(), getc() and getchar() return the character read as an unsigned char cast to an int or EOF on end of file or error. gets() and fgets() return s on success, and NULL on error or when end of file occurs while no characters have been read. ungetc() returns c on success, or EOF on error. CONFORMING TO
C89, C99, POSIX.1-2001. LSB deprecates gets(). POSIX.1-2008 marks gets() obsolescent. ISO C11 removes the specification of gets() from the C language, and since version 2.16, glibc header files don't expose the function declaration if the _ISOC11_SOURCE feature test macro is defined. BUGS
Never use gets(). Because it is impossible to tell without knowing the data in advance how many characters gets() will read, and because gets() will continue to store characters past the end of the buffer, it is extremely dangerous to use. It has been used to break computer security. Use fgets() instead. It is not advisable to mix calls to input functions from the stdio library with low-level calls to read(2) for the file descriptor associ- ated with the input stream; the results will be undefined and very probably not what you want. SEE ALSO
read(2), write(2), ferror(3), fgetwc(3), fgetws(3), fopen(3), fread(3), fseek(3), getline(3), getwchar(3), puts(3), scanf(3), ungetwc(3), unlocked_stdio(3), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2012-01-18 GETS(3)