Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Providing a Link to Perl
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Providing a Link to Perl Post 64 by pingdom on Sunday 8th of October 2000 10:27:15 PM
Old 10-08-2000
I was wondering how I can create a link to the perl interpreter.

On my old machine perl is at: user/local/bin/perl
and my new machine has it at: user/bin/perl

I don't want to have to change all my cgi scripts when I move them to the new server. Can I just create a new directory (user/local/bin/perl) and provide some sort of link to perl?

How?

Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script providing input to application prompts

Hi! I want to write a script that will create an archive (via tar) that will restrict the size of the tar file. The size can be constrained using the keyword 'k' and providing the size restriction. The problem is that the script needs to know (detect) when the tar command prompts the user (which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitch8
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping text by providing line numbers.

Dear Friends, I have a flat file from which I want to grep line no. 7,10, 19 to 35, 37. How can it be done? Thank you in advance Anushree (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Files from Array and link to original location in Perl

Hello, Question is related to Perl: I need to search few of the files from the array of file names. And after grepping the file names from an array I need to link these files to original location. The original location in this case is ref_path as input from the user. ##$ref_path is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora1
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with bash script providing battery status

I'm really new to even doing a bash "hello world" script, so maybe someone would know how to do the following task, using bash scripting Need to login using ssh from one dell server into another dell server, and obtain the raid battery status, using dell's open manage software commands; then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJ-102111
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Providing variable contents to awk

Hello, All. This is my first post here, and I expect that the answer is simple, but I can't find it. Might be the way I'm searching. I'm fairly new to Unix/Linux, and I'm writing a Korn Shell Script. I am trying to provide a value that is already in a variable to awk so that awk can pull out the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compguy74
3 Replies

6. Programming

g++ fails to link to static library when compilation and link in single command

Hello All, I've encountered a strange behaviour from g++ that doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you can shed some light on it: I have a bunch of source files and want to compile them and link them with a static library liba.a located in /usr/local/lib64 into an executable Approach 1 works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magelord
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

perl/sed -i removes link

hello, is it a behavior of or that "-i" removes unix link . example : i create a file "src_file" and link it to "link_file" and then i start "perl -i" the link is removed. does another option exists to change content of a file without temporary files ? UNIX-Version: HP-UX and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awking string only 6 character long and providing a count

Morning Guys, I am attempting to awk a file which strings in the file is only 6 characters long and not more. Currently it is counting every line and giving a count of 59, but it should be 57 (not including the long baracode - 004705CIM*****) " awk '/./ {cnt++} END {print cnt}'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junes
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me in just providing idea about what to be done?

Hi, I am thinking to increase my knowledge towards shell scripting and tcl scripting. The thing is, please suggest me a script which i can code is useful in learning as well as to project it to my team mates and it is helpful to all my office team mates. I'll give you an idea of what we... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syed Imran
4 Replies
FindBin(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      FindBin(3pm)

NAME
FindBin - Locate directory of original perl script SYNOPSIS
use FindBin; use lib "$FindBin::Bin/../lib"; or use FindBin qw($Bin); use lib "$Bin/../lib"; DESCRIPTION
Locates the full path to the script bin directory to allow the use of paths relative to the bin directory. This allows a user to setup a directory tree for some software with directories "<root>/bin" and "<root>/lib", and then the above example will allow the use of modules in the lib directory without knowing where the software tree is installed. If perl is invoked using the -e option or the perl script is read from "STDIN" then FindBin sets both $Bin and $RealBin to the current directory. EXPORTABLE VARIABLES
$Bin - path to bin directory from where script was invoked $Script - basename of script from which perl was invoked $RealBin - $Bin with all links resolved $RealScript - $Script with all links resolved KNOWN ISSUES
If there are two modules using "FindBin" from different directories under the same interpreter, this won't work. Since "FindBin" uses a "BEGIN" block, it'll be executed only once, and only the first caller will get it right. This is a problem under mod_perl and other persistent Perl environments, where you shouldn't use this module. Which also means that you should avoid using "FindBin" in modules that you plan to put on CPAN. To make sure that "FindBin" will work is to call the "again" function: use FindBin; FindBin::again(); # or FindBin->again; In former versions of FindBin there was no "again" function. The workaround was to force the "BEGIN" block to be executed again: delete $INC{'FindBin.pm'}; require FindBin; KNOWN BUGS
If perl is invoked as perl filename and filename does not have executable rights and a program called filename exists in the users $ENV{PATH} which satisfies both -x and -T then FindBin assumes that it was invoked via the $ENV{PATH}. Workaround is to invoke perl as perl ./filename AUTHORS
FindBin is supported as part of the core perl distribution. Please send bug reports to <perlbug@perl.org> using the perlbug program included with perl. Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> Nick Ing-Simmons <nik@tiuk.ti.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1995 Graham Barr & Nick Ing-Simmons. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 FindBin(3pm)