Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Regular Expressions in shell scripts <yawn> Post 6366 by sam_pointer on Tuesday 4th of September 2001 12:56:08 PM
Old 09-04-2001
Dotted Quad regex

Is this the correct regex for a dotted-quad IP address?

[0-9]\{1,3\}\.\{1\}[0-9]\{1,3\}\.\{1\}[0-9]\{1,3\}\.\{1\}[0-9]\{1,3\}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using regular expressions in c shell control structure

i cant get around using regular expressions in if/else statements. it simply doesnt give me the right results. i've tried using switch/case but that is just as sh!tty as well. (pardon my french but im getting frustrated with c shell..only reason why im writing in it is because it's a hwk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ballazrus
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

How can i create a regular expression which can detect a new line charcter followed by a special character say * and replace these both by a string of zero length? Eg: Input File san.txt hello hi ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expressions

I have following content in the file CancelPolicyMultiLingual3=U|PC3|EN RestaurantInfoCode1=U|restID1|1 ..... I am trying to use following matching extression \|(+) to get this PC3|EN restID1|1 Obviously it does not work. Any ideas? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: arushunter
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions

Hi Gurus, I need help with regular expressions. I want to create a regular expression which will take only alpha-numeric characters for 7 characters long and will throw out an error if longer than that. i tried various combinations but couldn't get it, please help me how to get it guys. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute a shell script using regular expressions

I am have a configuration script that my shell script uses. There is a regular expression defined for the input file. How do execute the shell script and pass the name of the input file using a regular expression. I would greatly appreciate some help. If you could point my to a website that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: supergirl3954
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regular expressions

I have a flat file with the following drug names Nutropin AQ 20mg PEN Cart 2ml Norditropin Cart 15mg/1.5ml I have to extract digits that are before mg i.e 20 and 15 ; how to do this using regular expressions Thanks ram (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expressions

In regular expressions with grep(or egrep), ^ works if we want something in starting of line..but what if we write ^^^ or ^ for pattern matching??..Hope u all r familiar with regular expressions for pattern matching.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

#!/usr/bin/perl $word = "one last challenge"; if ( $word =~ /^(\w+).*\s(\w+)$/ ) { print "$1"; print "\n"; print "$2"; } The output shows that "$1" is with result one and "$2" is with result challenge. I am confused about how this pattern match expression works step by step. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidHe
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

what elements does " /^/ " match? I did the test which indicates that it matches single lowercase character like 'a','b' etc. and '1','2' etc. But I really confused with that. Because, "/^abc/" matches strings like "abcedf" or "abcddddee". So, what does caret ^ really mean? Any response... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidHe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions in K Shell Script

I need to write a K shell script to find full file names , line numbers and lines which have words meeting either of following 2 criterias - 1)words which are 6 to 8 character long and alphanumeric. 2)Minimum 8 characters, one upper case, one lower case letter, one of the special characters... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajpreet1985
1 Replies
inet_pton(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						      inet_pton(3)

NAME
inet_pton - Create a network address structure SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <arpa/inet.h> int inet_pton(int af, const char *src, void *dst); DESCRIPTION
This function converts the character string src into a network address structure in the af address family, then copies the network address structure to dst. inet_pton(3) extends the inet_addr(3) function to support multiple address families, inet_addr(3) is now considered to be deprecated in favor of inet_pton(3). The following address families are currently supported: AF_INET src points to a character string containing an IPv4 network address in the dotted-quad format, "ddd.ddd.ddd.ddd". The address is converted to a struct in_addr and copied to dst, which must be sizeof(struct in_addr) bytes long. AF_INET6 src points to a character string containing an IPv6 network address in any allowed IPv6 address format. The address is converted to a struct in6_addr and copied to dst, which must be sizeof(struct in6_addr) bytes long. Certain legacy hex and octal formats of AF_INET addresses are not supported by inet_pton, which rejects them. RETURN VALUE
inet_pton returns a negative value and sets errno to EAFNOSUPPORT if af does not contain a valid address family. 0 is returned if src does not contain a character string representing a valid network address in the specified address family. A positive value is returned if the network address was successfully converted. SEE ALSO
inet_ntop(3) BUGS
AF_INET6 does not recognize IPv4 addresses. An explicit IPv6-mapped IPv4 address must be supplied in src instead. Linux Man Page 2000-12-18 inet_pton(3)