Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Deleting string from file of same name within several directories Post 63389 by halo969 on Thursday 24th of February 2005 06:20:27 PM
Old 02-24-2005
Not sure what to do

Am I just supposed to type those lines into the shell prompt as you put them? (the first reply)

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but if I put the first line in and hit enter, I get a > and then if I put the rest of the lines in and then hit enter, it pauses, then gives me the prompt back. Then when I check one of the files, the string is still there. I must be doing something wrong. Smilie

Nicole

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting all the sub directories

hello., i am creating a certain sub directories as apart of my requirement, and then later on i have to delete all those sub directories.. ____________________________________________________ DIR1="/home/pavi/cvs/20071426/TEMP" echo " DIR1 is : " $DESTDIR1 echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan_test
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a line from a file based on one specific string instance?

Hello! I need to delete one line in a file which matches one very precise instance of a string only. When searching the forum I unfortunately only found a solution which would delete each line on which a particular string occurs. Let's assume I have a file composed of thousands of lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Black Sun
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting string within a file that finishes with .log

Hello, This is my first post. Nice forum! I have a file trls.results small exemple of content (actually the file can be very big): ./security/htaccess.htm ./security/ipcount.log ./adhoc/sql/datamod06.sql So there is 3 paths to 3 different files... I want to remove every string that has a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacob106106
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting files in sub directories!

Hello out there, I want to setup a crontab feature to remove temporary pdf files from sub directories that are older than 30 days. I want to presevere the directory structer though. I got this far for a command. Will this remove the pdf's in subdirectories or just directly under the pdf folder? If... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting lines that contain a specific string from a space delimited text file?

Hi, I have a space delimited text file that looks like the following: 250 rs10000056 0.04 0.0888 4 189321617 250 rs10000062 0.05 0.0435 4 5254744 250 rs10000064 0.02 0.2403 4 127809621 250 rs10000068 0.01 NA 250 rs1000007 0.00 0.9531 2 237752054 250 rs10000081 0.03 0.1400 4 17348363... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting directories

I want to delete directories which are empty and directories which are 2 level deep. example: /app/data/logs/G07696115/G07696115 So if a same directory is there inside G07696115 with the same name G07696115, i want to find and delete that alone(Make sure you do not touch directory any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gtm004
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all files recursively from directories while ignoring one file type

Hi, Seems like I need help again with a problem: I want to delete all files from my lets say "Music" Directory inkluding all of the subfolders except for .mp3 and .MP3 files. I tried it with globalignoring mp3 files, finding and deleting all other files, which resulted in all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for deleting files and directories when the file system reaches the threshold

Hi Can someone assist in writing a script. I have a filesystem named /sybase in my aix lpar. When this filesystem becomes 94% full all the files and directories under /sybase/logs should be deleted immediately. :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue deleting all lines (having a specific string) in a file

I'm trying to create a script. There are 2 files - fileA.log & fileB.log fileA.log has the below data : aaaa cccc eeee fileB.log has the below data : cjahdskjah aaaa xyz jhaskjdhas bbbb abc ajdhjkh cccc abc cjahdskjah ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pandee
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to Search a FILE for a STRING in multiple DIRECTORIES

Hi, Can someone please help me with a Command to Search a FILE for a STRING in multiple DIRECTORIES. I am searching for the VIP in HTTPD.CONF in multiple httpd instances. I am using find ./ -name "httpd.conf" | xargs grep 10.22.0.141 cut -d: -f3- | cut -d ' ' -f4 | sort | uniq -c ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crosairs
1 Replies
BZMORE(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BZMORE(1)

NAME
bzmore, bzless - file perusal filter for crt viewing of bzip2 compressed text SYNOPSIS
bzmore [ name ... ] bzless [ name ... ] NOTE
In the following description, bzless and less can be used interchangeably with bzmore and more. DESCRIPTION
Bzmore is a filter which allows examination of compressed or plain text files one screenful at a time on a soft-copy terminal. bzmore works on files compressed with bzip2 and also on uncompressed files. If a file does not exist, bzmore looks for a file of the same name with the addition of a .bz2 suffix. Bzmore normally pauses after each screenful, printing --More-- at the bottom of the screen. If the user then types a carriage return, one more line is displayed. If the user hits a space, another screenful is displayed. Other possibilities are enumerated later. Bzmore looks in the file /etc/termcap to determine terminal characteristics, and to determine the default window size. On a terminal capa- ble of displaying 24 lines, the default window size is 22 lines. Other sequences which may be typed when bzmore pauses, and their effects, are as follows (i is an optional integer argument, defaulting to 1) : i<space> display i more lines, (or another screenful if no argument is given) ^D display 11 more lines (a ``scroll''). If i is given, then the scroll size is set to i. d same as ^D (control-D) iz same as typing a space except that i, if present, becomes the new window size. Note that the window size reverts back to the default at the end of the current file. is skip i lines and print a screenful of lines if skip i screenfuls and print a screenful of lines q or Q quit reading the current file; go on to the next (if any) e or q When the prompt --More--(Next file: file) is printed, this command causes bzmore to exit. s When the prompt --More--(Next file: file) is printed, this command causes bzmore to skip the next file and continue. = Display the current line number. i/expr search for the i-th occurrence of the regular expression expr. If the pattern is not found, bzmore goes on to the next file (if any). Otherwise, a screenful is displayed, starting two lines before the place where the expression was found. The user's erase and kill characters may be used to edit the regular expression. Erasing back past the first column cancels the search command. in search for the i-th occurrence of the last regular expression entered. !command invoke a shell with command. The character `!' in "command" are replaced with the previous shell command. The sequence "!" is replaced by "!". :q or :Q quit reading the current file; go on to the next (if any) (same as q or Q). . (dot) repeat the previous command. The commands take effect immediately, i.e., it is not necessary to type a carriage return. Up to the time when the command character itself is given, the user may hit the line kill character to cancel the numerical argument being formed. In addition, the user may hit the erase character to redisplay the --More-- message. At any time when output is being sent to the terminal, the user can hit the quit key (normally control-). Bzmore will stop sending out- put, and will display the usual --More-- prompt. The user may then enter one of the above commands in the normal manner. Unfortunately, some output is lost when this is done, due to the fact that any characters waiting in the terminal's output queue are flushed when the quit signal occurs. The terminal is set to noecho mode by this program so that the output can be continuous. What you type will thus not show on your termi- nal, except for the / and ! commands. If the standard output is not a teletype, then bzmore acts just like bzcat, except that a header is printed before each file. FILES
/etc/termcap Terminal data base SEE ALSO
more(1), less(1), bzip2(1), bzdiff(1), bzgrep(1) BZMORE(1)