Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Trying to get into OpenBSD
Operating Systems BSD Trying to get into OpenBSD Post 63303 by deckard on Wednesday 23rd of February 2005 11:46:25 PM
Old 02-24-2005
Question Trying to get into OpenBSD

I am an eight year Linux user and after getting into an argument with someone about OpenBSD overiding my theory that OS security is 50% OS and 50% admin skill, I decided to try OpenBSD for myself. I've tried BSDs before and haven't been able to get into them for day to dy use, but I am going to really give OpenBSD a good go. So, this leads me to a few questions. (I already posted some of these in the General forum for newbies of unix.com)

1. How do I get X working? I performed the OpenBSD install via HTTP from tux.org. That seemed to go pretty smoothly once I got to understanding how the install works. I requested that all packages be installed since I wanted "everything". It appears that this includes X. The response I got in the other forum was to run X -configure to generate a new XF86Config file. (Just like I'm used to doing in Fedora Linux if I need to) I did this and then put the file in /etc/X11 and renamed it XF86Config. I then tried typing 'xdm' (as root) to launch the X display manager, but there was a blink and then I was back to the console with no X. So I tried 'startx' (as root) and I got some more useful errors claiming that X was already running. I also checked /var/log/XFree86.0.log and saw the same thing. However a 'ps ax | grep X' showed me no processes. Since OpenBSD is so tightly secured, I imagine I have to change something to allow X to run (at least on :0 because I WAS able to get an X server to run on :1)? Finally, after fixing the PATH variable for my regular user, I could use 'startx' But I prefer 'xdm'. What could be going wrong?

2. When I performed the install originally, I set the system up for DHCP. When I rebooted, I got "device timeout" errors for ne3. After poking around in the man pages I discovered /etc/hostname.ne3. I rewrote it to set up static IP instead so now it looks like this:

inet 192.168.1.40 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.255

When I do: 'sh /etc/netstart ne3' and then 'ifconfig ne3' It appears that the card is up and configured with the right IP info. A little more digging on the net indicates that my problem may be the result of an IRQ conflict??? I run 'vmstat -i' and there is no information regarding ne3. This is all odd to me as the NIC worked fine during the HTTP install. A little more Googling turns up the possibility of a problem with ACPI for the ne2000 based NICs (This is a Netgear FA series NIX). But I can't find any information on how to set the IRQ (or how to probe it since I don't know what the IRQ address is to begin with. I also can't find info on how to disable ACPI support. I don't know if this is a probem since this is an older system (Pentium 233 MMX).

3. Is there a command to list all the installed base packages? I imagine that since the OpenBSD default install is secure, that it must come with everything I need (at least that's what the person I was arguing with implied). 'pkg_info -a' didn't display anything when I ran it. What I am looking for is basic internet services ike Apache, BIND, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, LDAP. The person who started me on this quest implied that to use Apache, all I need to do is "turn it on" and use it.

4. Apache. Does it come precompiled with support for SSL, Webdav, PHP and Perl? I am really trying to stick to the default install in order to retain OpenBSD's security.

5. How do I set a regular user's PATH? I created a regular user account and attempted to startx and it seems that /usr/X116/bin is not in my path. I tried the usual: PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin but that didn't work with 'sh'. So, there ust be some other way to do it on-the-fly. There is probably also a file for a more permanent addition to the PATH environment variable for setting it globally? I looked for /etc/profile and /etc/login and found neither. I did find /etc/skel/.login and /etc/skel/.profile, but this seems like an odd place to make a global setting so I don't think that's the right place. I also just this moment discovered 'ksh' which seems a lot nicer than 'sh'. Hmmm... maybe I just answered my own question. ;P I'll have to investigate this more.

Well, that's it for now. I admit it... I'm lost with OpenBSD, but I want to plow through anyway to see if it really can suit my needs with a minimum of admin skill expended. So far it's been a pretty hash mistress.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

please help with openbsd 2.9

Please help. I have downloaded the openbsd 2.9 snapshot from ftp.openbsd.org. the following files were downloaded from the snapshot dir. ( the whole dir. was downloaded ) base29,bsd,bsd.rd,cdrom29.fs,cksum,comp29,etc29,all three floppy images,game29,index,install.ata,install.chs... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blunt_Killer
11 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Maxtor vs. OpenBSD

Can't setup OpenBSD 3.4 with Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 80Gb ATA/133 HDD... Install process stops at hardware initialize, before installing... :confused: Any Comments... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsdave
2 Replies

3. BSD

Snort on openbsd

Im trying to gather some info to set up snort on openbsd 3.2, has anyone out there managed to get it up and running ? My initial attempts seem to be quite below par (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcontent
4 Replies

4. BSD

openbsd : cannot login

hi OK. I don't know exactly what I did to system! The system is OpenBSD 3.5. It is 200MMX, 16MB ram 1.2 + 2.4 GB HDD. The system was running well. But a few days ago I try to unpack a big tar.gz file and the system uses most the cpu and ram for this. While the system unpacking the file I try to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
4 Replies

5. BSD

OpenBSD security

OpenBSD is best OS in the world! - I'm talking about security :) After 10 years popularity in OpenBSD, was founded just!!!!!!!!!!!!! just one security hole! You can download OpenBSD from there . However, do you know a better OS? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zylwyz
1 Replies

6. BSD

setting up OpenBSD 4.0

ok these questions may be a little silly but I just started using OpenBSD as I came from Linux... 1. How do I make my desktop in X all snazzy like, I have wallpapers that need to be used. while I admit it will mainly be used for things I wont need a wallpaper for, you just never know :p, im... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siphter
4 Replies

7. BSD

OpenBSD and wireless

I've just installed OpenBSD on my laptop (IBM Thinkpad T42) and since this is my first time with wireless networking in OpenBSD I'm a bit lost. What I would like to do is connect to a wireless network using WEP or WPA. Where do I place the key and essid? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timmy66
3 Replies

8. BSD

RAIDing openbsd 4.2

Hello! Can anyone tell me how to make software RAID1 on openbsd 4.2. I try by some manuals but have no results.Maybe is somewhere good manual directly to openbsd 4.2 version? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kasparens
1 Replies

9. BSD

openbsd-pf

hello , I wondered if anyone could assist me in writing a simple packet filter firewall on my OpenBSD v4.5. All I intend doing is to have two firewalling machine on a separate network : 192.168.1.1 ext_if = xl0 (dhcp) // Internet interface int_if=xl1 // Internatl interface ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattjam
0 Replies

10. BSD

OpenBSD pf problems

I am having troubles with this pf configuration, it seems when loaded nothing can access my server on the internal interface for the LAN, I cannot see why, and it's pretty much based off the very standard example in the OpenBSD faq. When I unload the configuration, I can access the DNS server on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Tate
0 Replies