Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Portable GUI shell scripting? Post 63160 by luke on Wednesday 23rd of February 2005 04:39:33 AM
Old 02-23-2005
I meant, *really* portable

Sorry, I should have made it clearer when I was talking about wanting portable GUI shell scripts, I meant *really* portable - all Unices and Windows too (via Cygwin or UWin or whatever).

dtksh otherwise would sound good, though I note this worrying quote at http://users.tpg.com.au/adsln4yb/dtkshdemos.html: "dtksh does not appear well maintained across different OSes". It does also seem to require X11, and for Windows portability you'd prefer an abstraction from the native windowing system.

Same problem applies to tksh (except that I don't think tksh is available for Windows at all).
http://www.research.att.com/~gsf/dow...open.html#tksh
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jlk/tksh/

A multi-purpose moderately flexible tool like the wizapp thing would handle 95% of cases. If it was built from something like tksh you'd have the flexibility to do the remaining 95%. :-) But installing tksh across a heterogeneous network of 100's of PCs running varying OSes sounds painful.

luke

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If a is windows gui ( client), b is a unix gui ( Server for a) and c is a shell scrip

Hello all, 1) I want to have a GUI application that will call Unix shell scripts, 2) that GUI application should be able to reside on windows ( if possible) and then call Unix shell script either directly or through a server residing on unix. That is for example. If a is windows gui (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hchivukula
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Portable scripting

For historical, simple, practical and portable reasons my scripts start normally with "#!/bin/sh", hence I restrict myself to those features available in the Bourne Shell. The few cases where I would use ksh or bash is if I know this script is targetted at some subset of platforms where that is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: porter
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

GUI possible in shell script..?

Hi All, Currently my requirement is to parse through the log scripts and show the errors to the user.The only twist I got is it needs some GUI ,which is considered user friendly. Does anyone has any idea , if GUI can be implemented through shell scripts, please let me know. Thanks! nua7 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

GUI for shell scripts

what GUI can be used with shell scripting for example if i want to say hello in prompted window thnx in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: semosam
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GUI via secure shell

Hi i am connected to remote system using putty over ssh-1 version. i can see the command line and able to perform the operations through it. is it possible to have a GUI interface of my login rather than terminal access? do i need to use any client other than putty ? any help is much... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Portable Shell Script - Determine Which Version of Binary is Installed?

I currently have a shell script that utilizes the "Date" binary - this application is slightly different on OS X (BSD General Commmand) and Linux systems (gnu date). In particular, the version on OS X requires the following to get a date 14 days in the future "date -v+14d -u +%Y-%m-%d" where gnu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colinjohnson
1 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Logging in to the GUI from the shell

I have an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server running GNOME shell,that I occassionly have to remotely access to perform some maintenance. I usually vpnc into the network and then simply use vncviewer to access the Gnome GUI desktop for testing,given that the account is logged in. The other day I had to reboot... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
4 Replies

9. Programming

Python gui or C++ gui or java gui?

python gui or c++ gui or java gui? and when to use etch one? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaja
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Portable shell script advise

All, I have a need for a portable shell script for LInux and HPUX. The script has a simple need; Check for local files of a specific name (i.e. filename*), scp them to another system, and archive them to a folder. The script runs via cron. I first wrote the script in Linux (bash with gnu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hburnswell
4 Replies
FIRESTARTER(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    FIRESTARTER(8)

NAME
firestarter - program to manage and observe firewalls SYNOPSIS
firestarter [options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the firestarter command. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. Instead, it has documentation in html format (see below). firestarter is a GNOME program that will help you in configuring and monitoring a GNU/Linux firewall using either ipchains or iptables. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --generate-scripts Generate firewall scripts from current configuration. If firestarter is updated and you don't want to run the GUI, the scripts in /etc/firestarter are not up-to-date. So you have to run firestarter with this option to update the scripts. -h, --help Show summary of options. --lock Lock the firewall, blocking all traffic. -p, --stop Stop the firewall. -s, --start Start the firewall. --start-hidden Start firestarter with the GUI not visible. -v, --version Show version of program. SEE ALSO
This program is fully documented in http://www.fs-security.com/docs/. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Ryan M. Golbeck <rmgolbeck@debian.org> and later revised by Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> and Yann Ver- ley <yann.verley@free.fr> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). November 26, 2004 FIRESTARTER(8)