Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to Get Timed Input using cin Post 63020 by nmds on Tuesday 22nd of February 2005 08:46:38 AM
Old 02-22-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by uxbala
Hi,

I am trying to get the input like option from the user using cin but if the user is not responding for some time I want to use the default value which does not need users interaction can any one help to do this in unix c++?

int main()
{
char sex = 'M' ;
cout << "Are you Male/Female (M/F)?" << flush ;
cin >> setw(1) >> sex ; // Here I don't want to wait indefinatily wait for
// some 20 seconds for the user input if he is not
// provided the input by that time use default

switch(sex)
{
case 'F' :
// do something
break ;
default :
case 'M' :
// do something
break ;
}

retrurn 0 ;
}

Thanks In advance.
Balasubramnaian
see non blocking read() help, you can do with that

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Connection Timed out

I connect to a Sun Box through telnet but it timed out in couple of minutes. Advance thanks for any idea...help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

deferred: connection timed out with NT

We recently installed a new release of SCO UNIX (5.0.6) and when I try to relay e-mail from the UNIX box to my NT server (the mail server) I get the following message from sendmail. Deferred: Connection timed out with nt I have nt set up as my relay server in sendmail.cf and the mail seems to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmossman
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

timed commands

Hello, How can I set up events to be executed at a certain time? And do I need some kind of privilege such as being in cron group? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayne
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

connection timed out

I am trying to connect with my hp machine using "dialup networking." It times out after 30 seconds. Is there a way to adjust this time. Would it have anything to do with rexec? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paschal
0 Replies

5. Programming

Timed wait?

Is there any way in which I can make my wait signal to wait for a specified time for child job to complete. And if that time is over, the program gets out of the wait signal to process other things (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjul_thegreat
4 Replies

6. Programming

C++ cin problem

Hi, I have recently started using C++. I use g++ on Unix. I could not get a simple C++ program working. The program is; #include <iostream> using namespace std; int main() { double a, b; cout << "enter your number"; cin >> a; b = a + 1.15; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apprentice
4 Replies

7. Solaris

I/O timed out

I have Ultra 45 Sun solaris box with Solaris 10 installed. My problem is when i boot the unix box, i got the message: What does this message meant? then it does not continue to boot successfully. Please help. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timed Scripts

Hi all I need a little bit of help, i am looking for a script that can have different events in it and then if it is a certain day email me about it some sort of email reminder system any ideas thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
4 Replies
UCIMF(1)						      General Commands Manual							  UCIMF(1)

NAME
ucimf - unicode console input method framework DESCRIPTION
ucimf is an input method framework designed for Linux unicode console. FEATURE
o Support UTF-8 o Support OpenVanilla Modules o Support PCF, TrueType Font o Provide OverSpot style compose window o Provide C/C++ API BOOT PARAMETERS
Framebuffer mode is needed. You can add "vga=XXX" to LILO, GRUB, or other bootloaders to let the kernel start with proper framebuffer mode automatically. vga=785 (640x480, 16 ), vga=788 (800x600, 16 ), vga=791 (1024x768, 16 ), vga=794 (1280x1024, 16 ) USAGE
ucimf needs to run under an UTF-8 consle environment, please use locale -a to see the UTF-8 locales that your system is supported and use command like export LC_ALL=zh_CN.UTF-8 to set up the locale. To start ucimf with FbTerm, prefer to install fbterm-ucimf package and run fbterm -i fbterm_ucimf, or see ucimf_start(1) as an not-recom- mended alternate. When the user is running an FbTerm, key combination Ctrl+Space is the switch of enable/disable the input method, Ctrl+ShiftLeft to switch to next input method, and Ctrl+ShiftRight to switch to next input method framework. For jfbterm, F12 is the switch of enable/disable the input method, F11 to switch to next input method, and F10 to next input method frame- work. If the user wishes to use Ctrl+Space and Ctrl+ShiftLeft under jfbterm, please use ucimf_keyboard, which maps Ctrl+Space to F12, and Ctrl+ShiftLeft to F11. TABLE MANAGEMENT
ucimf use standard *.cin files directly to manage its input method tables, per-user input method tables is put in ~/.openvanilla/OVIMGeneric/. Installing or removing a table is simply copy or remove a file in that directory. The order of loading table is managed by the name of the table files, for exaple you can name your tables like this: 01_xxx.cin, 02_xyz.cin, 03_aaa.cin, ... ucimf will follow this order while loading input method tables. SHELL ENVIRONMENT
LC_CTYPE - use UTF-8 as to recogize characters. For example: export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 OVMODULE_DIR - to customize OpenVanilla modules location at run-time. For example: export OVMODULE_DIR=/usr/lib/openvanilla/ SEE ALSO
ucimf_start(1), ucimf_keyboard(1), ucimf.conf(5). AUTHOR
libucimf was written by Chun-Yu Lee (Mat) <MatLinuxer2@gmail.com> and Jim Huang <jserv.tw@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Aron Xu <happyaron.xu@gmail.com>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). January 29, 2010 UCIMF(1)