Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions From WinXP to Unix with X-window Post 62996 by luke on Tuesday 22nd of February 2005 06:43:09 AM
Old 02-22-2005
Cygwin

XLiveCD sounds good: it uses Cygwin. Cygwin is free, and includes an X server.
See http://cygwin.com/, and for info on installing see
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-net.html#AEN194

Note one trick: the default install is minimal - no X, it's barely serviceable. If you select All when selecting packages (click on "Default" until it changes to "Install"), then you'll be installing over a GB of programs.

One more trick: there are lots of mirrors of Cygwin, and because it's big and frequently updated, often the mirrors are incomplete, especially while major updates are rippling out.

I haven't been able to convince anyone to run my script that automatically runs the md5 sig checks and "publishes" the results at the root of the Cygwin mirror. So I'm afraid checking the mirror's integrity is left as an exercise for the reader. (Tip: download and check the download, directory by directory.)

But usually the mirrors are okay.

Don't forget to run mkpasswd, mkgroup (with both -l and -d options), and run ssh-host-config to setup ssh after you've installed it.

Oh, and when you ssh into the Unix box to run the X application, use the -Y option on ssh, not the -X.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and WinXP

hOWDY-hO.... who can help me??! how can i connect my pc with WInXP pro with my old HP-Unix workstation?!? :confused: my ps's got a BNC/rj45 network card but i'm using this card for my adsl connection... (i want to use it for my unix connection too...) thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Blasto
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix window

i recently install redhat linux as a dual boot with win2000. after i log in my unix account. i tried to get window unix by typing startx or xinit. both gave me error. display message among other thing was something like fatal error. any help? thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bb00y
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix on pc next to WinXP

Hello, It can be that i overlooked some questions and that somebody else already asked this question. The fact is that i want to install Freebsd (i saw that this was one of the best options on pc) on my homecomputer, but without removing everything i have on winXP. So my question is :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verhaeren
2 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

conection WinXP with servidor UNIX

Hi How do conect a WinXP with servidor UNIX? I donīt conect. I need help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rodrigues
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Have Win98/WinXp..Thinking about Unix!!

I presently have three partitions; one is win. 98(10gig) and the the other xp(10gig). While one more partition that I use as storage(of 20gig). My question is, if I decide to format/remove win. 98 and install unix...would it be possible to do so without disrupting the Winxp....and also, as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: templer
2 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Unix And winxp

I was wondering if it is possible to install unix on a winxp cpu and not mess up the xp o/s (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: usmcgerula
2 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Format winxp to unix

i am a newbie to unix i have an old ibm thinkpad t40 and i want to erase the winxp os and put unix on do i need a seperate unix os with a distribution or or do i just load the distribution on if i need a seperate unix os can someone post a llink to a site where i can get a free copy and load it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rdist from unix to window XP

I need to rdist some files from unix to window XP, where the source file is in Unix box. I can't get a way to do it as it always prompted me permission denied. rdist -c migtest.tar <ipaddr>:/filedir/migtest.tar updating host <ipaddr> Permission denied. I'd tried to ftp and put the file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lenniegu
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote Unix printing to my WinXP works with no router. How can I make it work through my router?

I set up remote printing on a clients Unix server to my Windows XP USB printer. My USB printer is connected directly to my PC (no print server and no network input on printer). With my Win XP PC connected to my cable modem (without the router), i can do lp -dhp842c /etc/hosts and it prints. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmhohne
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Transfer from Window server to UNIX and UNIX to UNIX

Dear All, Can someone help to command or program to transfer the file from windows to Unix server and from one unix server to another Unix server in secure way. I would request no samba client. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
4 Replies
XChangeSaveSet(3X11)						     MIT X11R4						      XChangeSaveSet(3X11)

Name
       XChangeSaveSet, XAddToSaveSet, XRemoveFromSaveSet - change a client's save set

Syntax
       XChangeSaveSet(display, w, change_mode)
	  Display *display;
	  Window w;
	  int change_mode;

XAddToSaveSet(display, w)
	  Display *display;
	  Window w;

XRemoveFromSaveSet(display, w)
	  Display *display;
	  Window w;

Arguments
       change_mode
		 Specifies the mode.  You can pass or

display	 Specifies the connection to the X server.

w	 Specifies the window that you want to add or delete from the client's save-set.

Description
       Depending on the specified mode, either inserts or deletes the specified window from the client's save-set.  The specified window must have
       been created by some other client, or a error results.

can generate and errors.

The function adds the specified window to the client's save-set.  The specified window must have been created by some other client, or a
       error results.

can generate and errors.

The function removes the specified window from the client's save-set.  The specified window must have been created by some other client, or
       a error results.

can generate and errors.

Diagnostics
       Some argument or pair of arguments has the correct type and range but fails
		 to match in some other way required by the request.

Some numeric value falls outside the range of values accepted by the request.
		 Unless a specific range is specified for an argument, the full range defined by the argument's type is accepted. Any argument
		 defined as a set of alternatives can generate this error.

A value for a Window argument does not name a defined Window.

See Also
       XReparentWindow(3X11)
       X Window System: The Complete Reference, Second Edition, Robert W. Scheifler and James Gettys

XChangeSaveSet(3X11)