Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: USB Devices
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat USB Devices Post 62893 by davidkretsch on Monday 21st of February 2005 10:00:12 AM
Old 02-21-2005
USB Devices

I am trying to get a flash card reader to work with my machine. My question is, are all of my USB ports screwed up? Do I need to buy a seperate USB controller? I does not appear that the onboard USB ports work.

In trying to get it to work, I typed cat /proc/scsi/scsi and got this:

[root@KretschNet root]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
[root@KretschNet root]#

then I typed:
/sbin/modprobe usb-storage

then:
lsmod
Module Size Used by
usb_storage 62345 0
snd_mixer_oss 17217 0

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

disableing my USB devices using a script

hi guys I would like to disable my USB devices using a shell script(Linux machine) i.e(hoteplug,kernelpcmciacs,pcmciacs) Kindly suggest me at the earliest Thnks in advance regards ash (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Detecting USB Flash Devices (plugged and hot-plugged)

I am trying to script the process of looking for a usb-key inside another application. I have gotten some success by recording "ls /dev" and comparing it to a new "ls /dev" periodically. However this has made it so I have to prompt the user to take out the usb-key (if plugged in), let my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jjinno
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passthrough devices vs. named devices

I am having trouble understanding the difference between a passthrough device and a named device and when you would use one or the other to access equipment. As an example, we have a tape library and giving the command "camcontrol devlist" gives the following output: akx# camcontrol... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to enumerate USB Mass Storage devices?

Hi all, I want to write a program in C that can enumerate all USB massand their mount point storage on my system. i want to give ability to copy one file to desired USB mass storage or read a file from it. I have posted another question about how can recieve USB arrival in this forum. I think... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aghashahi
0 Replies

5. Linux

Can USB Devices Be Exported Over a Network?

While I know that it's possible to use something like SANE to share a USB scanner over a network, or use NBD or iSCSI to share a USB flash or external HD over the network, I've been wondering about a raw USB <--> TCP/IP transport. Back in the late 90s, I swear I remember hearing about a project... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 usb stick -> 2 mounted devices

Hello, i am using a solaris thinclient that tries to connecting to a terminalserver. (RDP) Everything works fine, but the usb redirection. If i put in a usb stick i always get 2 usb-drives mounted. If i look in /tmp/SUNWut/mnt/<name of the host> i see 2 devices. One with the name of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anarcy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB-USB cable between linux and windows computers

Is there an easy way to setup a cross-over cable (USB-USB) between a linux box and a windows PC? My 2 machines are next to each other but I really do not want to keep transfering my files using my USB drive. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
4 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

How to disable USB for storage devices in Suse?

Hello folks, for some confidential reason, I need to disable the USB to access the storage devices in Suse11.2, but I still need two USB for the mouse and keyboard. Anyone knows? Thanks a lot in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnsxhj
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Questions about remote access and install USB devices.

I have a server running openindiana, it hosts virtualbox and several VMs on it. My first question is if I can run openindiana desktop from my windows on same network, now I am using XWin server under cygwin-X, I can run GUI of VirtualBox etc. but can I have the openindiana desktop show on my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyx2000
2 Replies
scsi-spin(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      scsi-spin(8)

NAME
scsi-spin - spin up and down a SCSI device SYNOPSIS
scsi-spin [-options...] [device] DESCRIPTION
scsi-spin let the user to manually spin up and down a SCSI device. This command is particularly useful if you've got noisy (or hot) drives in a machine that you rarely need to access. This is not the same as the kernel patch that's floating around that will automatically spin down the drive after some time. scsi-spin is completely manual, and spinning down a drive that's in use, especially the one containing the scsi-spin binary, is probably a really bad idea. To avoid running in trouble with such cases, scsi-spin verifies that the device to work on is not currently in use by scanning the mounted file system description file for a partition living on it and issue an error if this the case. OPTIONS
-u, --up spin up device. -d, --down spin down device. -e, --loej load or eject medium from drive (use along with -u or -d ) -w, --wait=[n] wait up to n seconds for the spin up/down command to complete. Default is to return immediately after the command was sent to the device. Either repeat -w n times or set n to define the time to wait before to report a timeout. -l, --lock prevent removal of medium from device. -L, --unlock allow removal of medium from device. -I, --oldioctl use legacy ioctl interface instead of SG_IO to dialog with device (could not be supported on all platforms). -e and -w are not allowed with this option. -v, --verbose=[n] verbose mode. Either repeat -v or set n accordingly to increase verbosity. 1 is verbose, 2 is debug (dump SCSI commands and Sense buffer). -f, --force force spinning up/down the device even if it is in use. -n, --noact do nothing but check if the device is in use. -p, --proc use /proc/mounts instead of /etc/mtab to determine if the device is in use or not. device the device is any name in the filesystem which points to a SCSI block device (sd, scd) or generic SCSI device (sg). See section below. SCSI devices naming convention Old kernel naming convention It is typically /dev/sd[a-z] , /dev/scd[0-9]* or /dev/sg[0-9]*. scsidev naming convention It is typically /dev/scsi/s[rdg]h[0-9]*-e????c?i?l? or /dev/scsi/<aliasname>. devfs naming convention It is typically /dev/scsi/host[0-9]/bus[0-9]/target[0-9]/lun[0-9]/disc (same for cd and generic devices) or short name /dev/sd/c[0-9]b[0-9]t[0-9]u[0-9] when devfsd "new compatibility entries" naming scheme is enabled. SEE ALSO
scsiinfo(8), sg_start(8), sd(4), proc(5), AUTHORS
Eric Delaunay <delaunay@debian.org>, 2001 Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>, 1998 03 September 2001 scsi-spin(8)