Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers check my code?? running shell from c? Post 6287 by abdul on Sunday 2nd of September 2001 10:15:05 PM
Old 09-02-2001
Network check my code?? running shell from c?

Hi mates,
i am trying to run a shell command from my C program in this case let is say the "ls" command. It copiles it okay, and even creates the new fork too. But seems to nothing is happening i mean it is not showing the result of the "ls" command.

I don't know wat i am doing wrong. Any comment will be appreciated.

abdul

#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int p_id;
int child_status;
int cpid;

main()
{
cpid=fork();

switch (cpid)
{
case -1:
perror("fork");
exit(1);
case 0:
printf("The fork is successful!\n");
system('ls');
exit(0);
default:
wait(&child_status);
}
}Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check if deamons are running

Does anyone know if there is a UNIX-tool available that constantly will check if (some specific) deamons are running and will notify (via email) if one has failed/stopped? I searched the web, but so far didn't find anything. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: W2W
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for specific process running through shell

Hi I want to check whether specific process is running or not through a shell script. ps -ef | grep will tell me this, i tried this way in shell cnt =`ps -ef| grep xyz | awk '{ END {print NR}}` if it return two rows, job is running else not. Is there any better way of doing this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: agp
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to check if a process is running in a server from shell script.

I want to write a unix shell script that will check if a process (say debu) is running in the server or not. If no , then send a mail to the corresponding person to start the process??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu
2 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

[Solved] Running shell code in AppleScript without Terminal

What I want my script to do is to run a command in Terminal and close that same Terminal window when the process is complete. Of course I could ad a delay of 6 seconds to complete the process, but it may not be enough every time. To simplify my question, this is what I want to achieve.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShadowofLight
9 Replies

5. Solaris

How to check if a shell is already running ?

Hi, I put this at start of my shell (korn shell) to be sure that the shell is not already running and sometimes it fails and says that it is already running which is not true ! sleep 1 /usr/bin/ps -ef | /usr/bin/grep "$0" | /usr/bin/egrep -v grep>$LOGDIR/$0.res isup=$(cat $LOGDIR/$0.res|wc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionassedo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to check date and check files in particular dir

Hi Experts, I am checking how to get day in Perl. If it is “Monday” I need to process…below is the pseudo code. Can you please prove the code for below condition. if (today=="Monday" ) { while (current_time LESS THAN 9:01 AM) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script to check if script itself is running

hi guys we've had nagios spewing false alarm (for the umpteenth time) and finally the customer had enough so they're starting to question nagios. we had the check interval increased from 5 minutes to 2 minutes, but that's just temporary solution. I'm thinking of implementing a script on the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Check Syntax of Shell Script without Running

Hi Everyone, Is there any way ( generic) to check syntax of Shell Scripts without running it?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy121
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check Running Processes

I want to check how many processes are running with same names and get their respective counts. ps -ef|grep -Eo 'process1|process2|process3| '|sort -u | awk '{print $2": "$1}' Output would look like : $ ps -ef|grep -Eo 'process1|process2|process3| '|sort | uniq -c | awk '{print $2":... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check status of long running multiple curl commands in shell script

I am working on script. it reads a file which contains multiple lines Ex; curl --write-out %{http_code} --silent --output /dev/null http://hostname:port/input=1 curl --write-out %{http_code} --silent --output /dev/null http://hostname:port/input=2 curl --write-out %{http_code} --silent ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
2 Replies
SYSTEM(3)                                                    Linux Programmer's Manual                                                   SYSTEM(3)

NAME
system - execute a shell command SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int system(const char *command); DESCRIPTION
The system() library function uses fork(2) to create a child process that executes the shell command specified in command using execl(3) as follows: execl("/bin/sh", "sh", "-c", command, (char *) 0); system() returns after the command has been completed. During execution of the command, SIGCHLD will be blocked, and SIGINT and SIGQUIT will be ignored, in the process that calls system() (these signals will be handled according to their defaults inside the child process that executes command). If command is NULL, then system() returns a status indicating whether a shell is available on the system. RETURN VALUE
The return value of system() is one of the following: * If command is NULL, then a nonzero value if a shell is available, or 0 if no shell is available. * If a child process could not be created, or its status could not be retrieved, the return value is -1. * If a shell could not be executed in the child process, then the return value is as though the child shell terminated by calling _exit(2) with the status 127. * If all system calls succeed, then the return value is the termination status of the child shell used to execute command. (The termina- tion status of a shell is the termination status of the last command it executes.) In the last two cases, the return value is a "wait status" that can be examined using the macros described in waitpid(2). (i.e., WIFEX- ITED(), WEXITSTATUS(), and so on). system() does not affect the wait status of any other children. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +----------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +----------+---------------+---------+ |system() | Thread safety | MT-Safe | +----------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, C89, C99. NOTES
system() provides simplicity and convenience: it handles all of the details of calling fork(2), execl(3), and waitpid(2), as well as the necessary manipulations of signals; in addition, the shell performs the usual substitutions and I/O redirections for command. The main cost of system() is inefficiency: additional system calls are required to create the process that runs the shell and to execute the shell. If the _XOPEN_SOURCE feature test macro is defined (before including any header files), then the macros described in waitpid(2) (WEXITSTA- TUS(), etc.) are made available when including <stdlib.h>. As mentioned, system() ignores SIGINT and SIGQUIT. This may make programs that call it from a loop uninterruptible, unless they take care themselves to check the exit status of the child. For example: while (something) { int ret = system("foo"); if (WIFSIGNALED(ret) && (WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGINT || WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGQUIT)) break; } According to POSIX.1, it is unspecified whether handlers registered using pthread_atfork(3) are called during the execution of system(). In the glibc implementation, such handlers are not called. In versions of glibc before 2.1.3, the check for the availability of /bin/sh was not actually performed if command was NULL; instead it was always assumed to be available, and system() always returned 1 in this case. Since glibc 2.1.3, this check is performed because, even though POSIX.1-2001 requires a conforming implementation to provide a shell, that shell may not be available or executable if the calling program has previously called chroot(2) (which is not specified by POSIX.1-2001). It is possible for the shell command to terminate with a status of 127, which yields a system() return value that is indistinguishable from the case where a shell could not be executed in the child process. Caveats Do not use system() from a privileged program (a set-user-ID or set-group-ID program, or a program with capabilities) because strange val- ues for some environment variables might be used to subvert system integrity. For example, PATH could be manipulated so that an arbitrary program is executed with privilege. Use the exec(3) family of functions instead, but not execlp(3) or execvp(3) (which also use the PATH environment variable to search for an executable). system() will not, in fact, work properly from programs with set-user-ID or set-group-ID privileges on systems on which /bin/sh is bash version 2: as a security measure, bash 2 drops privileges on startup. (Debian uses a different shell, dash(1), which does not do this when invoked as sh.) Any user input that is employed as part of command should be carefully sanitized, to ensure that unexpected shell commands or command options are not executed. Such risks are especially grave when using system() from a privileged program. SEE ALSO
sh(1), execve(2), fork(2), sigaction(2), sigprocmask(2), wait(2), exec(3), signal(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2017-09-15 SYSTEM(3)