Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris changed shell of the root accidentally Post 62852 by pintu_asim on Monday 21st of February 2005 02:28:42 AM
Old 02-21-2005
hi,
thanks for the reply.
actually I'm facing problem in goin' to ok prompt.
i have to go to the console through a tc and a normal key board.
what i did was manually rebooted it and then ctrl + ]
a telnet prompt came, there i typed send break...but all was fruit less Smilie
what to do?

-Asim

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

root folders group changed in SUSE linux

The group of the /root folder has been changed and then logged out I am not able to log in to the /root user as it is saying Xsession log in not allowed Is there any way that the group of the /root folder be changed? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: napster_san
1 Replies

2. AIX

Can't login root account due to can't find root shell

Hi, yesterday, I changed root's shell in /etc/passwd, cause a mistake then I can not log in root account (can't find correct shell). I attempted to log in single-mode, however, it prompted for single-mode's password then I type root's password but still can not log in. I'm using AIX 5L version 5.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neikel
2 Replies

3. Solaris

what impact root gid changed from other to root is?

> id root 0(root) 1(other) From CIS scanning result"it should make sure the root's gid is equal to 0", so I don't know what's the impact for that change to whole system? BTW, why is there a group named other under solaris? what does group "other" do ? Thanks very much! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
3 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

I accidentally changed to only write permission on /usr/bin... please Help!

I accidentally changed to sudo chmod a=w to my /usr/bin folder on my macbook with OS 10.5.8... Please help! I can't even get into a terminal correctly cause it displays: -bash: uname: command not found -bash: cut: command not found -bash: uname: command not found -bash: cut: command not found... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scaryMac23
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SuSE-11 Ownership of files having root got changed

Hi Experts, I have create a new user with uid and gid as 0 in SuSE-11 Server. After that all the files having root owner ship are showing as new user name as owner. If I login as root, and type 'id' command, it also shows the new user. Sample output from my server. host:~ # id uid=0(test)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipinable
4 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Accidentally Changed File Ownership to Include a "Comment" [AIX]

Hi. I've had a little mishap. To cut a long story short, I've accidentally recursively ran chown on a directory (actually a bunch of 'em). Not a problem in itself, but I had a slight error in the code I used to get the list of directories and ended up with a comment in the file ownership. ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scott
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root user changed language display

Hi, I was carrying out some simple admin tasks setting up a user, logged in as root when I fumbled on the keyboard. It appears I typed cp * ../user/<esc><esc>I hit return and now the display has set to a strange array of symbols e.g. ¼Ùïõò §ÏÅÎÓÓȧ ãïîîåãôéïî èáó ôåòíéîáôåä I've tried looking at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: becky492
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to echo "File permissions or ownership changed from required " when accidentally changed.

Hi All, I have to work in the late nights some times for server maintenance and in a hurry to complete I am accidentally changing ownership or permission of directories :( which have similar names ( /var in root and var of some other directory ).:confused: Can some one suggest me with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Accidentally changed ownership-unable to SSH into server.

Hi All, Accidentally changed ownership of /var directory as root :eek: thinking that I am changing ownership of var directory in other location in the file system:D.Now unable to SSH into the server:(. By gods grace I was able to regain the access again as server was in control of me at that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
5 Replies

10. AIX

Root password changed but old one still works

Hello i am running AIX 6.1. i recently changed the root password using passwd and pwdadm. while the new password works fine, i am still able to login using the old password. is there anyway this can disabled\fixed thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnlsingh
5 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root filesystem SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). OPTIONS
-V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), pivot_root(2), mount(8), switch_root(8), umount(8) AVAILABILITY
The pivot_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2011 PIVOT_ROOT(8)