Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sending email
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sending email Post 62813 by bcheaib on Sunday 20th of February 2005 03:57:31 AM
Old 02-20-2005
This is really confusing:

in /etc/hosts i added.

<IP> myhost myhost.domainname
<IP> mailserver mailhost mailserver.anotherdomainname

i can ping the mail server and telnet to port 25 and send an email from there.

i changed the configuration of sendmail.cf as described above by our freind RTM.

i am trying to send mail like this:
mail from root@inc1
to: name@anotherdomainname
this is a test mail

but still the mail is not received.!!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending email

hi, is there any possiblity to send email from the command prompt, for eg i want to send alert to any mail id like /data/logs is 80% to my hotmail account , xxx@hotmail.com is this really possible,, if not, then what are the prerequistes need to do this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
1 Replies

2. Programming

Sending email to a User from C++

How do i send a mail to User from c++? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: debu
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending an attachment through email

As a part of requirement I need to send out mails with attachment from UNIX. I have to take query the Oracle DB and send the result of the query in an attachment through mail. I use the following script for the same. #!/bin/csh #!/bin/bash #!/bin/ksh ATTFILE=/folder1/test.xls cd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sgiri1
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending Email with Attachment

Hi, I want to send an email with multiple attachment using uuencode and mail command. I am able to send with one attachment Ex:uuencode abc.txt abc.txt | mail test@test.com -s "Test3" Can anyone reply with syntax. Regards BS (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balajiora
3 Replies

5. Linux

sending an email

I have used an already-built ActiveX control to send email from my asp web pages. One of the parameters I fill is FromName which defines the tittle the recipient will see in the From entrance in his Inbox. Now Iīm trying to use mail to send an email from a Shell but I havenīt found the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RandomAccess
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sending email to different domain

Hi, I am looking for info based on direct experience in using DataStage EE with Unix. A scenario in the client remote desktop I work for company Switch, my client is Master. Notification Activity Stage (IBM Asential Data Stage component) SMTP Mail server name is blank. Sender... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsnaveen
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending an email with attachment

Hi, Please help me in sending an e-mail with attachment through unix mailx command is not present in our unix box. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dudd9
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using top command to email if process is exceeding 25% and sending an email alert if so

This is my first time writing a script and Im having some trouble, Im trying to use the top command to monitor processes and the amount of CPU usage they require, my aim is to get an email if a process takes over a certain percentage of CPU usage I tried grep Obviosly that hasnt worked, Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jay02
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending HTML Email

1) Can you please provide me with a best example of how to send an HTML email via mutt or mail or send email commands using bash shell. 2) I tried below but i am not able to get the variable values in the HTML email output. (cat <<-EOT <html> <head><title></title> </head> <body> <p>Hello,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
9 Replies

10. Linux

Sending an email using mutt...

I wanted to send "config.log" to the usergroup that handles open source support for Octave 3.8.0, a programming language as there were build errors. In order to send an email from unix command line, I am trying to use mutt, and I need a straightforward way of sending emails, as the commands... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jon80
1 Replies
MAIL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   MAIL(1)

NAME
mail - send and receive electronic mail SYNOPSIS
mail [-dpqrv] [-f file] [user] OPTIONS
-d Force use of the shell variable MAILER -f Use file instead of /usr/spool/mail/user as mailbox -p Print all mail and then exit -q Quit program if SIGINT received -r Reverse print order, i.e., print oldest first -v Verbose mode EXAMPLES
mail ast # Send a message to ast mail # Read your mail DESCRIPTION
Mail is an extremely simple electronic mail program. It can be used to send or receive email on a single MINIX system, in which case it functions as user agent and local delivery agent. If the flag MAILER is defined in mail.c, it can also call a transport agent to handle remote mail as well. No such agent is supplied with MINIX. When called by user with no arguments, it examines the mailbox /usr/spool/mail/user, prints one message (depending on the -r flag), and waits for one of the following commands: <newline> Go to the next message - Print the previous message !command Fork off a shell and execute command CTRL-D Update the mailbox and quit (same as q) d Delete the current message and go to the next one q Update the mailbox and quit (same as CTRL-D) p Print the current message again s [file] Save message in the named file x Exit without updating the mailbox To send mail, the program is called with the name of the recipient as an argument. The mail is sent, along with a postmark line containing the date. For local delivery, a file named after the recipient in the directory /usr/spool/mail must be writable. If the directory /usr/spool/mail does not exist then the mail is dumped on the console, so that system programs have a way to notify a user on a system that does not have a mail spool. MAIL(1)