Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Integration of NIS and NFS
Operating Systems Solaris Integration of NIS and NFS Post 62748 by 98_1LE on Saturday 19th of February 2005 09:57:43 AM
Old 02-19-2005
It is NIS (aka yp) or NIS+?

I haven't used NIS in a long time, but do not remember it supporting a master/slave configuration. NIS+ definately does.

To make homes automount in NIS+, all you have to do is populate the auto_home table with a key of the username, and the value of the NFS path (hostname:/path/to/home). In nsswitch.conf have it look to nis for automount, and set the home in the passwd table to /home/username.

You can even use this for non NIS+ users (passwd/shadow users) by putting the entry in auto_home, and a /home/username password entry. This assumes you are not running secure NFS/RPC. This should also work for 2 seperate NIS domains sharing one NFS server.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS/NFS

Oreilly puts out a book on NIS/NFS this book was last updated in 1992. Has NIS/NFS change since then? Should I be looking at a better resource? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS map mail.aliases specified, but NIS not running

Hi all, I just took over the admin role from someone and I wanna setup sendmail (just to send mail from the host) however, after I config all the resolv.conf, nssitch.conf, hosts file and when I try to send a mail out, after I punched ctl-D, it returned he following, "NIS map mail.aliases... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stancwong
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SUSE 9 and 10 NIS clients with RedHat 8.0 NIS server not working

We have a RedHat 8.0 NIS master, with a RedHat 8.0 NIS Slave. We also have a small number of SUSE 9.1 and SUSE 10 machines here for evaluation. However, no matter what i do, the SUSE machines will not talk to the NIS Servers. If i broadcast for NIS Servers for the specified NIS domain, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
1 Replies

4. Solaris

NIS server to manage NFS quota

I have a Solaris NIS master server to manage my Solaris NIS clients' passwd, group, shadow. I also have a EMC NAS. The NAS is NFS mounted on my clients. I would like to use disk quota to manage my users. From what I read from the SUN doc, quota can be implemented on the Solaris NFS client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: izy100
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NFS and NIS reserved ports

Does anyone know how to assign rpc ports to NFS or NIS processes on Solaris please ? Thanks, Michael Chnader (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mchnaider
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem: Automounting Home directory for nis & nfs configuration doesn't work

Hi all, First of all, i am so sorry about my bad level in English writing. I have some problem in linux and i hope the experts of this forum to help me if they have enough time to reply to me. I have a scenario of configuring NIS and NFS in Redhat Linux environment such that user can login... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pioneer
0 Replies

7. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

nfs/nis - microsoft services for UNIX adminstration

hello, I am using "microsoft services for UNIX adminstration" as an nfs/nis client in order to connect to a remote NFS folder with NIS authentication nfs mount seems to fail on the authentication stage. I get the login box from the client, but any (NIS mapped) loging seems to reject me.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynoatan99
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

Configure DNS,NFS,NIS,LDAP and LVM(mirror,sparing and multipathing)

Hello All, I am a newbee in HP UX wanted to know how to configure DNS,NFS,NIS,LDAP and LVM(mirror,sparing and multipathing) in HP UX 11iv2 and v3 and i did go through some of the docs on hp.com but i think those are for experience UX users and i am new to this so if some one could just mention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolsami
1 Replies

10. Solaris

nfs/nis client ownership issue

Hi, I have 2 systems - solaris 10 1 is nfs/nis server while other is nis/nfs client and user directories mounted on the client. the authentication works fine. but I find out of all users, only 2 users directory is owned by some usernames who are local user on client system. I checked... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
3 Replies
UMOUNT.NFS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     UMOUNT.NFS(8)

NAME
umount.nfs, umount.nfs4 - unmount a Network File System SYNOPSIS
umount.nfs dir [-fvnrlh ] DESCRIPTION
umount.nfs and umount.nfs4 are a part of nfs(5) utilities package, which provides NFS client functionality. umount.nfs4 and umount.nfs are meant to be used by the umount(8) command for unmounting NFS shares. This subcommand, however, can also be used as a standalone command with limited functionality. dir is the directory on which the file system is mounted. OPTIONS
-f Force unmount the file system in case of unreachable NFS system. -v Be verbose. -n Do not update /etc/mtab. By default, an entry is created in /etc/mtab for every mounted file system. Use this option to skip delet- ing an entry. -r In case unmounting fails, try to mount read-only. -l Lazy unmount. Detach the file system from the file system hierarchy now, and cleanup all references to the file system as soon as it is not busy anymore. -h Print help message. NOTE
For further information please refer nfs(5) and umount(8) manual pages. FILES
/etc/fstab file system table /etc/mtab table of mounted file systems SEE ALSO
nfs(5), umount(8), AUTHOR
Amit Gud <agud@redhat.com> 6 Jun 2006 UMOUNT.NFS(8)