Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: rsync
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers rsync Post 6271 by rwb1959 on Saturday 1st of September 2001 09:08:56 PM
Old 09-01-2001
from what I understand,
"rsync -avz prj# /rsource /destination" performs
the update of the differences. If this is so,
why not just run this from cron every 30 days?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rsync

I have to update my files to 2-4 servers and I tar all the files and ftp to every server. I have heard about Rsync, but are there any other ways that are the same as Rsync?> (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darknite87
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync vs cp

Hi guys, I will be copying data from one FS to another. (only once) These are local Filesystems... Which tool would be more efficient to use in this case? There is a huge amount of data that needs to be copied... (1.5TB) John (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsy
1 Replies

3. Solaris

please help in rsync

Dear all, I m trying to rsync a file remotely but it is throwing following error. #/opt/sfw/bin/rsync -v -a -e ssh user@xx.xx.xx.xx:/export/home/naresh/utils.sh bash: rsync: command not found rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far) rsync error: error in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync

i last night i copied a 400GB folder using rsync and ssh i did: rsync -r /mnt/500_GB ssh miguel@192.168.1.3:/mnt/1500_GB and it copied the folder fine all 400GB. The question is: If i put more files to that initial 400GB folder, which command can i run on my server for it to update the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: supermiguel
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync

hi there I wonder if some-one can help. I am trying to use rsync on my mac to transfer a folder to a remote machine. I have logged into rysnc on my mac no problem and I'm trying to execute this command: rsync -a -e ssh /Users/myname/myfolder/sourcefolder/... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: volterony
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync

Am I correct in assuming that the following command: rsync -a /a /b does not make any changes on /a if there are files on /b that are newer (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
2 Replies

7. SuSE

rsync

I'm trying to use rsync to sync some data from my windows laptop to my linux openSUSE home sytem using cwRsync. The process has always worked until I got a new laptop and more or less at the same time decided to rebuild my linux box. on linux rsync --version rsync version 3.0.7 protocol... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giessenw
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync

Hi all, I'm new to the rsync world in hpux. Currently I have rsync going through the main public lan, but dude to traffic loads, I have been told that i need to use a dedicated rsync lan. I currently have 4 spare nics and the plan was to use one of these for the rsync, but I can't figure out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxwanabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync Error: rsync: link_stat failed: No such file or directory (2)

I wish to copy all the files & folder under /web/Transfer_Files/data/ on mymac1 (Linux) to remote server mybank.intra.com (Solaris 10) /tmp/ location I am using Ansible tool synchronize module which triggers the unix rsync command as below:rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh=ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
slack(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  slack(8)

NAME
slack - Sysadmin's lazy autoconfiguration kit SYNOPSIS
slack [option ...] [role ...] DESCRIPTION
slack is a master command which coordinates the activities of its backends, which variously: o determine the list of roles to be installed on this server o create a local cached copy of the role files from the central repository o merge file trees from subroles into a single, unified tree o install files onto the local filesystem o run scripts before and after installation Options you give to slack will be generally passed along to the backends where relevant. OPTIONS
-h, --help Print a usage statement. --version Print the version and exit. -v, --verbose Increase verbosity. Can be specified multiple times. --quiet Don't be verbose (Overrides previous uses of --verbose). -C, --config FILE Use the specfied FILE for configuration instead of the default, /etc/slack.conf. -s, --source DIR Source directory for slack files -e, --rsh COMMAND Remote shell for rsync -c, --cache DIR Local cache directory for slack files -t, --stage DIR Local staging directory for slack files -r, --root DIR Root destination for slack files --no-sync Skip the slack-sync step (useful if you're pushing stuff into the CACHE outside slack). --no-files Don't install any files in ROOT, but tell rsync to print what it would do. --no-scripts Don't run scripts -n, --dry-run Same as --no-files --no-scripts (CACHE, STAGE will still be updated) --role-list Role list for slack-getroles(8). -b, --backup Make backups of existing files in ROOT that are overwritten. This option defaults to on if it is not set to 0 in a config file or disabled with --nobackup on the command line. --backup-dir Put backups from the --backup option into this directory. -H, --hostname HOST Pretend to be running on HOST, instead of the name given by gethostname(2). --preview MODE Do a diff of scripts and files before running them. MODE can be one of 'simple' or 'prompt' (See PREVIEW MODES, below). --diff PROG Use this diff program for previews. --sleep TIME Randomly sleep between 1 and TIME seconds before starting operations. Useful in crontabs. PREVIEW MODES
Preview functionality is new in slack 0.14.0. I haven't quite worked out how things will work, so this usage is somewhat subject to change in future versions. I thought I would try it this way and see how people like it. In 'simple' mode, after syncing and staging the files directory, slack will present a diff of the files and scripts. In this mode, slack will not run the preinstall or fixfiles scripts, and because of this, it may provide some false output about permissions changes to files. In 'prompt' mode, after syncing and staging the files directory, slack will diff the script directory. If there are differences, slack will present them to you and ask you if you want to continue. If you say no, it will exit. If you say yes, it will stage the scripts directory, run the preinstall and fixfiles scripts, and then diff the files in the stage with those in the root. If there are differences, slack will present them to you and ask you if you want to continue. If you say no, it will exit. If you say yes, it will install the files and run the postinstall script. So, the 'simple' mode is easy to use, and will be accurate if you don't use fixfiles. The 'prompt' mode will be accurate if you use fix- files, but requires some interaction. Why can't we just have one mode that works with fixfiles and requires no interaction? Well, that would require slack to understand what your free-form fixfiles executable was going to do, which would either require some kind of universe simulator or would require you to write your fixfiles in a less free-form way, which would make slack less like slack. EXAMPLES
To install all the roles configured in the role list for a server: slack To install a specific role: slack rolename To test a new role before checking in the changes: slack --source user@workstation:/home/user/.../slack rolename To avoid killing your master server when calling from cron: slack --sleep 3600 FILES
/etc/slack.conf SEE ALSO
slack.conf(5), rsync(1) Administrative commands 2004-10-22 slack(8)