Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shange user's pass for all services on a remote host Post 62555 by veskonedev on Thursday 17th of February 2005 06:54:19 AM
Old 02-17-2005
shange user's pass for all services on a remote host

here is the picture:
a website on server1 & a "username" logged in that site.
The same username has a shell(nologin)/ftp/samba/mail(qmail) acount on server2.
i have s form on server1 that can pass the username & its NEW password to a sript that should change all passwords on server2.

the script must be executed as root on server2, as you can't do "vpasswd username@domain.com" as nonroot.

Thought of expect to do this, but just cant put it all together.
----
server1> ssh root@server2
passwd username
/home/vpopmail/bin/vpasswd username@domain.com
exit
send back result as "success" or "failed"
----
hope you guys can help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to specify the remote host?

Hi, I want to compare 2 set of dierectories, one is current host, other in remote, I am tring like this: diff $HOSTTOBACKUPH:$SOURCEHR $DR_BACKUP_DIR_H/hourly.0 I am getting fowlling error> diff: ctlrws123:/home/arbuser/temp2/mscdr/sor_d: No such file or directory how to specify the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
2 Replies

2. Solaris

How to delete the files from local host to remote host

Hi all, i am copying .gz files from production server to development server using "scp" command.my requirement is after copying .gz files i want to delete old .gz files(two days back) in development server from production server. like this way i need to delelte .log ,.z and .dmp files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna176
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Remote services during Solaris installation

I've installed Solaris 10 (05-08) on a SPARC platform During the installation I was prompted with the question below. I selected yes to enable remote services. Does anyone know what services this option enables? - Enabling remote services ---------------------------------------- Would... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a shell script from one host which connext to remote host and run the commands

I want to write a script which would run from one host say A and connect to other remote host B and then run rest of commands in that host. I tried connecting from A host to B with SSH but after connecting to host B it just getting me inside Host B command prompt. Rest of the script is not running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SN2009
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

running commands to remote host from centralized host

Gurus/Experts We have a centralized UNIX/Solaris server from where we can actually ssh to all other UNIX/Solaris servers...I need to write a script that reside on this centerlized server and do FileSystem monitoring (basically run df -h or -k) of other remote servers and then send an email to me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjum.suri
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help! How to find the local host after few ssh hops to remote host???

I do a ssh to remote host(A1) from local host(L1). I then ssh to another remote(A2) from A1. When I do a who -m from A2, I see the "connected from" as "A1". => who -m userid pts/2 2010-03-27 08:47 (A1) I want to identify who is the local host who initiated the connection to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX ksh: how to pass variable to host shell

I have a script that "runs" a script. For example: ./runscript.ksh pcnmc01.ksh runscript puts pcnmc01.ksh into the background with log output going to the logfile. After executing the command, I get this output: Running script in the background: pcnmc01.ksh Logfile:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eben Yong
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a variable from one host to another host

Hi , I have to pass a string through a variable from one host to another. Is that any any way to do it . Please help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause processes in remote host and resume execution in another remote host

Hi, Given addresses of 2 remote machines, using a shell script is it possible to get the state of running processes in "src" stop all the processes in "src" exit out of "src" ssh into "dest" resume the state of executing processes captured in step 1 in "dest" Assumption: "src" is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saeya Darsan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check/get the exit status of a remote command executed on remote host through script

Geeks, Could you please help me out in my script and identify the missing piece. I need to check/get the exit status of a remote command executed on remote host through script and send out an email when process/processes is/are not running on any/all server(s). Here's the complete... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
5 Replies
etrn(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  etrn(1M)

NAME
etrn - start mail queue run SYNOPSIS
etrn [-b] [-v] server-host [client-hosts] DESCRIPTION
SMTP's ETRN command allows an SMTP client and server to interact, giving the server an opportunity to start the processing of its queues for messages to go to a given host. This is meant to be used in start-up conditions, as well as for mail nodes that have transient connec- tions to their service providers. The etrn utility initiates an SMTP session with the host server-host and sends one or more ETRN commands as follows: If no client-hosts are specified, etrn looks up every host name for which sendmail(1M) accepts email and, for each name, sends an ETRN command with that name as the argument. If any client-hosts are specified, etrn uses each of these as arguments for successive ETRN commands. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b System boot special case. Make sure localhost is accepting SMTP connections before initiating the SMTP session with server-host. This option is useful because it prevents race conditions between sendmail(1M) accepting connections and server-host attempting to deliver queued mail. This check is performed automatically if no client-hosts are specified. -v The normal mode of operation for etrn is to do all of its work silently. The -v option makes it verbose, which causes etrn to display its conversations with the remote SMTP server. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
No environment variables are used. However, at system start-up, svc:/network/smtp:sendmail reads /etc/default/sendmail. In this file, if the variable ETRN_HOSTS is set, svc:/network/smtp:sendmail parses this variable and invokes etrn appropriately. ETRN_HOSTS should be of the form: "s1:c1.1,c1.2 s2:c2.1 s3:c3.1,c3.2,c3.3" That is, white-space separated groups of server:client where client can be one or more comma-separated names. The :client part is optional. server is the name of the server to prod; a mail queue run is requested for each client name. This is comparable to running: /usr/lib/sendmail -qR client on the host server. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using etrn Inserting the line: ETRN_HOSTS="s1.domain.com:clnt.domain.com s2.domain.com:clnt.domain.com" in /etc/default/sendmail results in svc:/network/smtp:sendmail invoking etrn such that ETRN commands are sent to both s1.domain.com and s2.domain.com, with both having clnt.domain.com as the ETRN argument. The line: ETRN_HOSTS="server.domain.com:client1.domain.com,client2.domain.com" results in two ETRN commands being sent to server.domain.com, one with the argument client1.domain.com, the other with the argument client2.domain.com. The line: ETRN_HOSTS="server1.domain.com server2.domain.com" results in set of a ETRN commands being sent to both server1.domain.com and server2.domain.com; each set contains one ETRN command for each host name for which sendmail(1M) accepts email, with that host name as the argument. FILES
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf sendmail configuration file /etc/default/sendmail Variables used by svc:/network/smtp:sendmail ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sendmail(1M), attributes(5) RFC 1985 NOTES
Not all SMTP servers support ETRN. SunOS 5.11 10 Aug 2004 etrn(1M)