Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Integration of NIS and NFS
Operating Systems Solaris Integration of NIS and NFS Post 62414 by RTM on Tuesday 15th of February 2005 05:18:03 PM

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS/NFS

Oreilly puts out a book on NIS/NFS this book was last updated in 1992. Has NIS/NFS change since then? Should I be looking at a better resource? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS map mail.aliases specified, but NIS not running

Hi all, I just took over the admin role from someone and I wanna setup sendmail (just to send mail from the host) however, after I config all the resolv.conf, nssitch.conf, hosts file and when I try to send a mail out, after I punched ctl-D, it returned he following, "NIS map mail.aliases... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stancwong
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SUSE 9 and 10 NIS clients with RedHat 8.0 NIS server not working

We have a RedHat 8.0 NIS master, with a RedHat 8.0 NIS Slave. We also have a small number of SUSE 9.1 and SUSE 10 machines here for evaluation. However, no matter what i do, the SUSE machines will not talk to the NIS Servers. If i broadcast for NIS Servers for the specified NIS domain, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
1 Replies

4. Solaris

NIS server to manage NFS quota

I have a Solaris NIS master server to manage my Solaris NIS clients' passwd, group, shadow. I also have a EMC NAS. The NAS is NFS mounted on my clients. I would like to use disk quota to manage my users. From what I read from the SUN doc, quota can be implemented on the Solaris NFS client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: izy100
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NFS and NIS reserved ports

Does anyone know how to assign rpc ports to NFS or NIS processes on Solaris please ? Thanks, Michael Chnader (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mchnaider
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem: Automounting Home directory for nis & nfs configuration doesn't work

Hi all, First of all, i am so sorry about my bad level in English writing. I have some problem in linux and i hope the experts of this forum to help me if they have enough time to reply to me. I have a scenario of configuring NIS and NFS in Redhat Linux environment such that user can login... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pioneer
0 Replies

7. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

nfs/nis - microsoft services for UNIX adminstration

hello, I am using "microsoft services for UNIX adminstration" as an nfs/nis client in order to connect to a remote NFS folder with NIS authentication nfs mount seems to fail on the authentication stage. I get the login box from the client, but any (NIS mapped) loging seems to reject me.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynoatan99
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

Configure DNS,NFS,NIS,LDAP and LVM(mirror,sparing and multipathing)

Hello All, I am a newbee in HP UX wanted to know how to configure DNS,NFS,NIS,LDAP and LVM(mirror,sparing and multipathing) in HP UX 11iv2 and v3 and i did go through some of the docs on hp.com but i think those are for experience UX users and i am new to this so if some one could just mention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolsami
1 Replies

10. Solaris

nfs/nis client ownership issue

Hi, I have 2 systems - solaris 10 1 is nfs/nis server while other is nis/nfs client and user directories mounted on the client. the authentication works fine. but I find out of all users, only 2 users directory is owned by some usernames who are local user on client system. I checked... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
3 Replies
niserror(1)							   User Commands						       niserror(1)

NAME
niserror - display NIS+ error messages SYNOPSIS
niserror error-num DESCRIPTION
niserror prints the NIS+ error associated with status value error-num on the standard output. It is used by shell scripts to translate NIS+ error numbers that are returned into text messages. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using niserror The following example prints the error associated with the error number 20: example% niserror 20 Not Found, no such name ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nis_error(3NSL), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 10 Dec 2001 niserror(1)