Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 1 alias 2 commands 1 argument Post 6228 by seba on Friday 31st of August 2001 02:54:58 PM
Old 08-31-2001
1 alias 2 commands 1 argument

Hi, i want make 1 alias with two commands include to do two things at the same time like this:
ex: do finger and last at the same time with only one word finla or something.

Thanks.-

/home/seba > finger dustin
Login name: dustin In real life: Dustin Feldman
Directory: /home/dustin Shell: /usr/local/bin/tcsh
On since Aug 31 15:19:27 on pts/14 from eyes.tecnet.com
25 minutes Idle Time
No unread mail
No Plan.
/home/seba > last dustin
dustin pts/14 eyes.tecnet.c Fri Aug 31 15:19 still logged in
dustin pts/11 eyes.tecnet.c Fri Aug 31 12:17 - 12:49 (00:31)
dustin pts/1 r000-40-165-152. Fri Aug 31 08:13 - 08:14 (00:00)
dustin pts/1 r000-40-164-101. Fri Aug 31 01:25 - 02:00 (00:34)

wtmp begins Fri Aug 31 01:25
/home/seba >

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias confusion - multiple commands ?

I've read the man on the alias command, and I am perplexed. I don't see a way to create an alias that will perform more than one command......is there a way to create an alias that is a string of a commands ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HikerLT
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias commands

how do you alias a command... Like say I wanted kitten to exicute the command whoami. how would I do that? Thank you for your time. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mars8082686
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a alias with an argument

If I want to create an alias called "cdr", and this alias need an argument (for example arg1)followed by "cdr", the result should go to the directory like "/home/ting/arg1/report/logs", the command should look like below, alias cdr arg1 "cd /home/ting/\!$1/report/logs" (not working)::( ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ting123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using * when passing argument to alias

I have some folders with this structure: /data/me/a123xxx Where "xxx" is some changing series of letters, and "123" changes so folders might look like: /data/me/a123xxx /data/me/a234ysd /data/me/a534sds etc. The numbers are what matter to me (they identify the folder), so I created an... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramparts
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make delays between multiple commands in an alias (ircII)?

Okay so I have an alias that looks like this: ALIAS gscn { MSG gscn Test1 MSG gscn Test2 MSG gscn Test3 MSG gscn Test4 MSG gscn Test5 } How do I make it wait 5 seconds between each command before it executes the next one after that in order from top to bottom? I tried the TIMER... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing arguments to alias with multiple commands

I have a few aliases set up on AIX servers in my .kshrc file. Some of them contain multiple commands that are piped together. A simple example would be something like this: # alias to list directory contents as root and sort by size. alias lss='sudo ls -l | sort -nbk5' When I call... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: derndingle
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias commands

Is there a way to create alias for commands and store then in a location where a certain group can run them. I also want anybody in that group to be able to add alias. I don't want them to access the /etc/environment or /etc/profile files to do so. If there needs to be a line added in either of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs: multiple commands to each argument

Hello. There is my one-liner to get subjects of potential spam mails sudo exiqgrep -bf "spamer@example.com" |cut -d' ' -f1 |xargs -I ~ sudo /usr/sbin/exim -Mvh ~ |grep 'Subject: ' I want to insert blank line after each iteration to make output more readable. I tried sudo exiqgrep -bf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urello
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing an argument using alias to piped command

Hi. I'm trying to do a "simple" thing. grep -rls grepped_exp path | xgs where xgs is an alias to something like: xargs gvim -o -c ":g/grepped_exp" now the problem is that I want to pass the "grepped_exp" to the piped alias. I was able to do something like what I want without the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hagaysp
4 Replies
PTS_QUIT(1)						       AFS Command Reference						       PTS_QUIT(1)

NAME
pts_quit - Exit from pts interactive mode SYNOPSIS
pts quit [-cell] <cell name> [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] pts q [-c] <cell name> [-n] [-l] [-f] DESCRIPTION
The pts quit command exits from pts interactive mode. The command can be run from the command line or interactively, but on the command line it does nothing and is therefore of questionable utility. CAUTIONS
Prior to OpenAFS 1.4.5 and OpenAFS 1.5.23, the pts quit command was only available on Unix or Linux and when OpenAFS was compiled with the supergroups option (disabled by default). As of OpenAFS 1.4.5 and 1.5.23, it is always available. OPTIONS
Although they have no effect, pts quit takes the following standard pts options: -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). OUTPUT
This command produces no output. EXAMPLES
Here is an example of a pts interactive session: % pts interactive pts> quit % SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_interactive(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_QUIT(1)