Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tcsh read command ......?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users tcsh read command ......? Post 62136 by Perderabo on Friday 11th of February 2005 02:26:58 PM
Old 02-11-2005
Most of us don't write scripts in csh (or its desendants). To understand why, read:
Csh Programming Considered Harmful

From that document
Quote:
1b. Reading Files
In the csh, all you've got is $<, which reads a line from your tty. What if you've redirected stdin? Tough noogies, you still get your tty, which you really can't redirect.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine "find" command in for each loop (tcsh)

Hello I was wandering if I can combine find command in side for each loop in unix the main propose is to change some thing in files from several types and not all of them is this possible ? (on liner script? ) tnx for the helppers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning (numeric) command output to var tcsh

Hello, I'm trying to assign a numeric value that is returned from one of my programs to a variable in tcsh. I want to do: @ r10 = './my_prog file 35' where ./my_prog file 35 returns a decimal value, but this doesn't work. How do I achieve the desired result? Janet (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psran
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

at crontab tcsh setenv: command not found

i have written a script "master.shell" which is in the path: /a/homes.surrey.ac.uk/pgt_fs_002/bl00001/phd/griddata/shell/master.shell ==================================== #/usr/local/bin/tcsh setenv GLOBUS_LOCATION /grid/software/globus3 setenv PATH... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: binbintriangel
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command substitution with tcsh

I was trying to modify my .cshrc file so that the full path would always be displayed in my command prompt. After doing a search, I was able to accomplish this by adding these lines to my .cshrc file: alias setprompt 'set prompt="%/% "' setprompt alias cd 'chdir \!* &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Special_K
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with xterm & tcsh & sourcing a script in a single command

Hi friends, I have a script that sets the env variable path based on different conditions. Now the new path variable setting should not done in the same terminal or same shell. Only a new terminal or new shell should have the new path env variable set. I am able to do this only as follows: >cd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sowmya005
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

running zsh command in tcsh

Hi all is there a way to run zsh commands in a tcsh shell thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read command - using output from command substitution

Hey, guys! Trying to research this is such a pain since the read command itself is a common word. Try searching "unix OR linux read command examples" or using the command substitution keyword. :eek: So, I wanted to use a command statement similar to the following. This is kinda taken... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file and execute the read command

Hi, I am facing issues with the below: I have a lookup file say lookup.lkp.This lookup.lkp file contains strings delimited by comma(,). Now i want to read this command from file and execute it. So my code below is : Contents in the lookup.lkp file is : c_e,m,a,`cd $BOX | ls cef_*|tail... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tcsh command for assigning output of awk to variable

Hi I have a text file with 2 values and I am trying to assign each value to a variable and then write those to text files. So if the textfile is data.txt with 2 values x and y I want to assign mean=x, and stdev=y and then write these out in text files alongwith the id ($id has already been... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: violin
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcsh script - sed command for special characters

Hi, I am using sed command to replace following line in gz file- sed -n 's/""COS_12_TM_1" ( 1101110101001001010011110100000010110100010010000000100000000010XX010000000 )"/""COS_12_TM_1" ( 110111010100100101001111MM00000010110100010010000000100000000010XX010000000 )"/g' filename.gz $x=... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti Chandra
4 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)