Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wait for Background Process to complete Post 62019 by vgersh99 on Thursday 10th of February 2005 03:17:55 PM
Old 02-10-2005
command&
wait $!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: wait for process to complete

I'm using PERL on windows NT to try to run an extract of data. I have multiple zip files in multiple locations. I am extracting "*.t" from zip files and subsequently adding that file to one zip file so when the script is complete I should have one zip file with a whole bunch of ".t" files in it. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait in background

can a wait command be run in background? or the script which has the wait command, be run background? test.sh ------- nohup a.sh & nohup b.sh & wait nohup test.sh & How can i run either wait or test.sh in background? i want test.sh to wait till a.sh and b.sh complete, and must be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albertashish
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

hdparm + HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl

Hi All, Am finding performance of my SD card using hdparm. hdparm -tT /dev/BlockDev0 /dev/BlockDev0: Timing cached reads: 1118 MB in 2.00 seconds = 558.61 MB/sec HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device Timing buffered disk reads: 14... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Fork wait in background process - large delay

hi all, We are trying to run a process in the background and in the process we call fork ;and wait for the child process to finish .We find that the died = wait(&status); happens after 10 seconds randomly and sometimes completes in time (within 1 sec) This behavior is seen only when the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishnu.priya
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Fork wait in background process - large delay

hi all, We are trying to run a process in the background and in the process we call fork ;and wait for the child process to finish .We find that the died = wait(&status); happens after 10 seconds randomly and sometimes completes in time (within 1 sec) This behavior is seen only when the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishnu.priya
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you wait for command substitution processes to complete?

When running a command using the >(cmd) syntax in bash how do you wait for the command to complete before moving on in your script? Here is a simple example: zcat largefile.gz | tee >(wc && echo “HELLO”) > /dev/null # I tried wait, here but it doesn't wait for the process in the subshell.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrvwman
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a shell script in background and wait using "wait" in while loop

Hi, I am facing a strange issue, when i call a script from my while loop in background it doesnt go in background, despite the wait i put below the whil loop it goes forward even before the process put in background is completed. cat abc.txt | while read -u4 line do #if line contains #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait for one processes to complete in a shell script

Let's say I start process A.sh, then start process B.sh. I call both of them in my C.sh How can I make sure that B starts its execution only after A.sh finishes. I have to do this in loop.Execution time of A.sh may vary everytime. It is a parameterized script. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script parallel tasks and command to wait untill complete?

Hello, im having bash script with while *** command1 && command2 && command3 && done i want to ask how i can prevent overloading server, by waiting untill all commands complete? any low resources intensive command like "wait" - i dont know if exist? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
2 Replies
explain_wait_or_die(3)					     Library Functions Manual					    explain_wait_or_die(3)

NAME
explain_wait_or_die - wait for process to change state and report errors SYNOPSIS
#include <libexplain/wait.h> void explain_wait_or_die(int *status); DESCRIPTION
The explain_wait_or_die function is used to call the wait(2) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from explain_wait(3), and then the process terminates by calling exit(EXIT_FAILURE). This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: explain_wait_or_die(status); status The status, exactly as to be passed to the wait(2) system call. Returns: This function only returns on success. On failure, prints an explanation and exits. SEE ALSO
wait(2) wait for process to change state explain_wait(3) explain wait(2) errors exit(2) terminate the calling process COPYRIGHT
libexplain version 0.52 Copyright (C) 2008 Peter Miller explain_wait_or_die(3)