Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unusual function refrences
Top Forums Programming unusual function refrences Post 61936 by Neo on Thursday 10th of February 2005 12:11:22 AM
Old 02-10-2005
Try the apropos command with your keywords - i.e.

apropos cpu usage

Code:
www# man apropos 
apropos(1)                                             apropos(1)

NAME
       apropos - search the whatis database for strings

SYNOPSIS
       apropos keyword ...

DESCRIPTION
       apropos  searches a set of database files containing short descriptions of
       system commands for keywords and displays the result on the standard  out-
       put.

SEE ALSO
       whatis(1), man(1).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unusual function refrences

I'm wrting a program which needs to get the following information of a sever by calling some lib fuctions or system calls, so can anybody help to tell me those function names or where I can find the description of them ? CPU usage Memory usage Load procs per min Swap usage Page I/O Net I/O... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xbjxbj
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

very unusual question about while

is there anyway to make while run a command faster than per second? timed=60 while do command sleep 1 done i need something that can run a script for me more than one time in one second. can someone help me out here? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
3 Replies

3. Programming

C Calender Help - Unusual error

I'm making a program that you input the month and year, and it creates a calender for that month of that year. This is my largest project yet, and I broke it up into several source files. cal.c #include "cal.h" #include <stdio.h> main() { int month, year; scanf("%d %d", &month,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Octal
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unusual Problem

what is wrong with the below script: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/bash echo "Setting JrePath..." grep -w "export JrePath" /etc/profile Export_Status=$? if echo "JrePath declared" elif echo "JrePath not declared" echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

Unusual Behavior?

Our comp-operator has come across a peculiar ‘feature'. We have this directory where we save all the reports that were generated for a particular department for only one calendar year. Currently there are 45,869 files. When the operator tried to backup that drive it started to print a flie-listing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vslewis
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Awk specify Unusual Delimiter

# echo "size(JFJF" | awk -F"size(" '{print $1}' awk: fatal: Unmatched ( or \(: /size(/ the delimiter is "size(" but i'm not sure if awk is the best tool to use to specify it. i have tried: # echo "size(JFJF" | awk -F"size\(" '{print $1}' awk: warning: escape sequence `\(' treated as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unusual problem with cp command

I have made a simple script to zip a file then first copy it to a specific directory using cp command then move it to another directory. Files are getting generated at regular intervals in the dir. /one/two/three/four/. I have entry of my script in cron to run after every 2 min. #!/bin/sh... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Unusual system bog down

Solaris 10 10/09 s10s_u8wos_08a SPARC 16cpus 128MB, uptime 150+ days, 2 db zones (Oracle 9 & 10), 3 application zones. This is from a system that was literally crawling, 60 seconds to execute a single command. I had to reboot to clear it. Data is from runs of prstat and top, and iostat. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jim mcnamara
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Script unusual behavior

Hello, I have noticed some unusual behavior while running the script. when i use below script it gives output 355.23 #!/bin/bash ONEDAY=`date +%Y%m%d --date="1 days ago"` cat /opt/occ/var/performance/counters_`date -d "1 day ago" +%Y%m%d`*|grep "Gy,Gy-Gy-CCR"|awk -F"," '{print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
5 Replies
MAKEWHATIS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     MAKEWHATIS(8)

NAME
makewhatis -- create whatis database SYNOPSIS
makewhatis [-a] [-i column] [-n name] [-o file] [-v] [-L] [directories ...] DESCRIPTION
The makewhatis utility collects the names and short descriptions from all the unformatted man pages in the directories and puts them into a file used by the whatis(1) and apropos(1) commands. Directories may be separated by colons instead of spaces. If no directories are speci- fied, the contents of the MANPATH environment variable will be used, or if that is not set, the default directory /usr/share/man will be pro- cessed. The options are as follows: -a Appends to the output file(s) instead of replacing them. The output will be sorted with duplicate lines removed, but may have obsolete entries. -i column Indents the description by column characters. The default value is 24. -n name Uses name instead of whatis. -o file Outputs all lines to the file instead of */man/whatis. -v Makes makewhatis more verbose about what it is doing. -L Process only localized subdirectories corresponding to the locale specified in the standard environment variables. ENVIRONMENT
LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG These variables control what subdirectories will be processed if the -L option is used. MACHINE If set, its value is used to override the current machine type when searching machine specific subdirectories. MANPATH Determines the set of directories to be processed if none are given on the command line. FILES
/usr/share/man Default directory to process if the MANPATH environment variable is not set. */man/whatis The default output file. DIAGNOSTICS
The makewhatis utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
apropos(1), whatis(1) HISTORY
The makewhatis command appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. AUTHORS
The makewhatis program was originally written in Perl and was contributed by Wolfram Schneider. The current version of makewhatis was rewritten in C by John Rochester. BSD
May 12, 2002 BSD