Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to hide password on Linux? Post 61867 by nir_s on Wednesday 9th of February 2005 11:24:27 AM
Old 02-09-2005
Hi bhargav,

Thanks a lot !
I've checked your suggestion and It works.
Eventually,i solved it by replacing stty -echo intr '$-' with stty -echo intr "^?
echo "Enter VS Admin password:"
oldstty=`stty -g`
if [[ ${HOST_TYPE} = 'Linux' ]] ; then
stty -echo intr "^?"
else
stty -echo intr '$-'
fi
read password
stty $oldstty
echo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

hide password typing

I am doing a project in C program which requires to type in password in Unix terminal. Does anybody know how to shade or not output any words typed by user in the terminal? I use the function scan() to read typing from user. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivancheung
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to hide password

All, In my script I am calling another script.. in that script I need to enter a password. Problem is that everyone is able to see the password when I enter that. Is there any way that when i enter that password it should not display or may look like *******. Or if there any other way that I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arpitk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Do I Hide the Password in a Script

Hi, I am writing a UNIX .ksh script and need to send the login password of the login id that is executing the script to a command that I am executing in the script. I don't want that password to be seen by anyone except whoever is executing the script. Does anyone know how I can accomplish... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: samd
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to hide password from getting displayed on screen

I am writting script like echo "ENTER USERNAME: \c " read uName echo "ENTER PASSWORD: \c" read pwd In this it is shwng password on screen, I want to hide it, how can I do that (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hide password in file with sed

I have a properties file that contains passwords, need to hide the passwords before the properties file can be distributed. Input file: prop1=1 prop2=2 password=123456 this is a test pw prop3=3 password=789abc this is a prod pw My sed command is: sed 's/password=.*/password=xxx/g' <... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oakwoodman
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i hide username/password

hi all, i run sqlplus command on unix(HP-UX) like "sqlplus username/password@serverA @deneme.sql" but when someone run "ps -ef | grep sqlplus", it can see my username and password :( How can i hide username and password. thanx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: temhem
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best way to hide password in bash script?

Dear folks, The title of my thread says mostly all of what I want to do. Basically I want to auto-ssh to a remote host, and run a program on it (VLC is just an example). I wrote a script which calls xterm and then runs expect on it. The code is as follow #!/bin/bash export PASS="xxxxxxx"... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: dukevn
22 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to hide/encrypt password in script?

Hi I have following problem Im writing a script (in bash ) , where need to be written login & passwd for databas client . Its need to in following form login passwd@dbhostname . The problem is so anybody can read it so the passwd & login are visible and thats not very safety . Can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password wont hide when I type it!!

Hi there, I found out a very strange behavior. If I call ssh, my password will be invisible when I'm prompted to type it: santiago@cassiopee:~$ ssh titan.caoba.fr "echo connected" santiago@titan.caoba.fr's password: <--- password is hidden when typed connected santiago@cassiopee:~$ If I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hide password from processes in Linux

i have a shell script which calls a java program with username and password arguments. #!/bin/ksh #set some classpaths here #finally run the command java com.test -u $U -p $P Now when i run it, the password shows up in the list of processes. I am not the admin on the server so cant... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariesb2b
3 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)