Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Need help with scandir / stat Post 61661 by jim mcnamara on Monday 7th of February 2005 10:58:04 AM
Old 02-07-2005
Or supply stat() with a fully qualifed path - /home//bertsura/mydirs/dir1/subdir1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot stat?

Hi! I ran into a problem with a job I'm running. All it is doing is a "touch" on a filename. However, when I ran the job, it error'd out and got the message 'cannot stat'. When I restarted the job (making no changes) it worked just fine. Anyone know what this means? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lgardner
1 Replies

2. Programming

scandir() for Solaris

I'd like to use scandir() on solaris, but it doesn't find sys/dir.h What do you think I should do? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadiamihu
2 Replies

3. Programming

scandir() + windows equivalent

Currently, Im trying to redesign some Unix-based C code to work on the Windows operating system and one problem I ran into when compiling was that the compiler failed to recognise scandir() (from my original Linux code) Im aware that scandir() is a Unix-based function, so is there an equivalent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

stat

the output of stat command is Size: 238 Blocks: 8 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 80ah/2058d Inode: 736783 Links: 1 Access: (0664/-rw-rw-r--) Uid: ( 500/ gajju) Gid: ( 500/ gajju) Access: 2008-09-08 20:00:15.000000000 +0530 Modify: 2008-09-08... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gajju
6 Replies

5. Programming

Q with stat()

From reading various articles on the net, I know stat() is used on files to get things like permissions, sizes etc... As a folder is a special type of file in Unix, I assumed that stat() could work on it as well as any general file. However, from running my program, perror() reported that the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
3 Replies

6. Solaris

stat: Available on Solaris?

JoeyG's note in the following thread got me thinking about using stat more often in file operations. I've only ever used it within perl - didn't even realize there was a commandline version of it.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scandir help

Hi everyone; I am trying to compile and execute a test program I wrote that calls scandir and it seems to not like my prototype. The Documentation on SUN for this function is clear, but I am missed something..... and I can't figure it out; I am using cc -gv -osaveas saveas.c on Sun... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhelie
1 Replies

8. Programming

scandir() and threads

I couldn't find anywhere informations about it. Is scandir() thread-safe? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dawwin
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stat command

i know this command does not exist in solaris. however, i read somewhere on this forum that basically everything the stat command provides in other oses can be obtained in solaris using the ls command. i've searched the forum for a while now and i cant find the thread. does anyone know about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stat value changes

Die to what all operations, the "Modify" and "Change" values of stat output changes for a file. I found, during editing a file, Change and Modify alters. When chmod'ing Change alters, while Modify doesnot alters. Is there more situations where these changes? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil510
1 Replies
explain_stat_or_die(3)					     Library Functions Manual					    explain_stat_or_die(3)

NAME
explain_stat_or_die - get file status and report errors SYNOPSIS
#include <libexplain/stat.h> void explain_stat_or_die(const char *pathname, struct stat *buf); DESCRIPTION
The explain_stat_or_die function is used to call the stat(2) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from explain_stat(3), and then the process terminates by calling exit(EXIT_FAILURE). This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: explain_stat_or_die(pathname, buf); pathname The pathname, exactly as to be passed to the stat(2) system call. buf The buf, exactly as to be passed to the stat(2) system call. Returns: This function only returns on success. On failure, prints an explanation and exits. SEE ALSO
stat(2) get file status explain_stat(3) explain stat(2) errors exit(2) terminate the calling process COPYRIGHT
libexplain version 0.52 Copyright (C) 2008 Peter Miller explain_stat_or_die(3)