Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A few newbie questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A few newbie questions Post 6166 by jurrien on Thursday 30th of August 2001 03:24:57 PM
Old 08-30-2001
users

if you mean by someone@something is someones email. then something is the domain name from the server. Someone is the user nick on the server.
you can change uses on a server by typeing su nick. then you switch to user nick. you must type his password before you are nick. to go to root you can simply type su or su root. if you are root you can change to anyone without typing a password.

i hope this is the information you are searching for

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

buncha questions from a newbie

Even though I have been logging in to a UNIX shell at school to complete school projects and write programs, but I had never really worked in UNIX environment. But a couple of weeks back I got hooked on to Solaris 9OE, read a book, a tutorial, a document provided on the Sun Microsystems website,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: init-5
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Questions

I am relatively new to both KSH and Unix scripting, and I would like some help getting my script up and running. I would like to have the script attempt various commands (tar, copy, gzip etc) and then write the results (error msg or success msg) to a temp file. I would then like an email sent to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
2 Replies

3. Linux

Questions of a newbie

I have been an apple customer for years now, and am not satisfied with the direction that they are going. So I just ordered my first PC notebook the other day. I have no desire to use windows, however with microsoft's hold on the market, I feel that I may have a hard time doing this. I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brycemb16
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix questions for newbie

Hi Unix gurus, I know these are some easy questions. But i just want to be sure about them. Hope someone can help explain the following please? 1) if ] - What does the "-r" means? 2) isql -U $DBUSER -D $DBNAME -S $DSQUERY -w 1000 -s";" << testfile > $FILE - What does the -s";" mean and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gholdbhurg
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LISP newbie's questions

Hello, I want to learn LISP, and I have a GNU/Linux OS. I first sought a LISP compiler/interpreter and was told that GNU Emacs has a LISP mode. But I couldn't get into LISP mode, nor I don't know how to use it when I get into LISP mode. How can I run LISP code under GNU Emacs? And if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rayne
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris Newbie questions...

Hello everyone, I am brand spanking new to both Solaris and Unix. I thought I would give it a go after buying a SB2500 off ebay for a few hundred dollars. I am having some issues that I am not sure how to correct, and I am wondering if I can get a few pointers? The first one is that my system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GeekMasterFlash
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl newbie questions!

Hi, So I started to learn perl a few days ago, and I have some problems... One of my problems... #!C:\Perl64\bin\perl.exe -w use LWP::Simple; print "Content-Type: Text/Plain\n\n"; sub pagelinks { return @all = get($_) =~ /href\s*=\s*"?(+)/gis; } @a =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: byte1918
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couple of newbie Unix questions

I entered a command at the prompt and it's interactive (not background). It gathers some stats and writes them to a file. I want to see this job running and what it's doing - I/O especially and maybe CPU and stuff. What can do to see this (say using a second session?) I know it's a long job but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ido1957
3 Replies

9. AIX

Newbie Questions for AIX !!!

Hi Guys, I am new in this forum and new with AIX however not new with Power System. I have worked with iSeries for many years. Now supporting AIX on Power. Here are some basic questions I have. 1. I am using Putty to connect from my PC to the AIX boxes. Is there any other (better) program to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
6 Replies
irc(n)							    Low Level Tcl IRC Interface 						    irc(n)

NAME
irc - Create IRC connection and interface. SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl package require irc ?0.2? ::irc::connection hostname ::irc::config key value net registerevent event script net connect net user username localhostname userinfo net nick nick net ping net join channel net part channel net privmsg target message net send text who ?address? action target ?index? msg DESCRIPTION
This package provides low-level commands to deal with the IRC protocol (Internet Relay Chat) for immediate and interactive multi-cast com- munication. ::irc::connection hostname The command creates a new object to deal with an IRC connection. Creating this IRC object does not automatically create the network connection. It returns a new irc namespace command which can be used to interact with the new IRC connection. ::irc::config key value Sets configuration key to value. Currently, the only config key defined is the boolean flag debug which, when turned on, makes irc print more information about what is going on. Per-connection Commands In the following list of available connection methods net represents a connection command as returned by ::irc::connection. net registerevent event script Registers a callback handler for the specific event. Events available are those described in the IRC RFC: 1459. In addition, there are several other events defined. defaultcommand adds a command that is called if no other callback is present. EOF is called if the connection signals an End of File condition. script is executed in the connection namespace, which can take advantage of sev- eral commands (see Callback Commands below) to aid in the parsing of data. net connect This causes the socket to be established. ::irc::connection created the namespace and the commands to be used, but did not actually open the socket. This is done here. net user username localhostname userinfo Sends USER command to server. username is the username you want to appear. localhostname is the name of your server, and userinfo is a short description of who you are. net nick nick NICK command. nick is the nickname you wish to use for the particular connection. net ping PING the IRC server. net join channel channel is the IRC channel to join. IRC channels typically begin with a hashmark ("#"). net part channel Makes the client leave channel. net privmsg target message Sends message to target, which can be either a channel, or another user, in which case their nick is used. net send text Sends text to the IRC server. Callback Commands These commands can be used within callbacks who ?address? Returns the nick of the user who performed a command. The optional address keyword causes the command to return the user in the format "username@address". action Returns the action perfomed, such as KICK, PRIVMSG, MODE, etc... Normally not useful, as callbacks are bound to a particular event. target ?index? Returns the target of a particular command, such as the channel or user to whom a PRIVMSG is sent. In the case of multiple targets, the optional index argument may be used to specify which one to return. The default is 0. msg Returns the message portion of the command (the part after the :). SEE ALSO
rfc 1459 KEYWORDS
irc, chat irc 0.2 irc(n)