Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Top level TCSH while Loop doen't work Post 61549 by RTM on Friday 4th of February 2005 04:25:47 PM
Old 02-04-2005
Well, your code works under Solaris tcsh with no problem.

Are you getting any kind of error? Try the following - maybe it's dumping out and you aren't getting any error message.

Code:
#!/bin/tcsh

set g = 0
echo "should be zero - $g"
while ($g <10)

echo "this" $g

@ g = $g + 1
echo "should be plus 1  - $g"
end
echo "end of script"

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCSH.need help.take input during a while/end loop

I am writting a script in csh and I am blanking out on how I code in the ability to process user input in the middle of a while/end loop. while(1) args.. end it is a simple script, and I want to add hotkey functions, like q to quit, z to zero counters, etc.. Google has not been very... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any way to set env variable in top level Makefile and unset when done

Hello I have compilation directory structure the top level Makefile is the one that contains all the sub directories I want to set in this Makefile env variable say : setenv OPTIMIZATION_LEVEL "1" and when all the sub directories done compiling it will set this variable to different lavel... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exclude top level directory with find?

I'm using bash on cygwin/windows. I'm trying to use find and exclude the directory /cygdrive/c/System\ Volume\ Information. When I try to use the command below I get the error "rm: cannot remove `/cygdrive/c/System Volume Information': Is a directory. Can someone tell me what I am doing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh I can't get script to work :(

I have an export utility that exports documents from the native file to text. This is the way I would run it from the command line: expage "file" > "file.txt I am trying to loop through all the documents in the directory and expage them, here is the code: #!/usr/bin/env tcsh foreach file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fred Goldman
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed removing two top level folders from path

Hi, I am trying to use either awk or sed to drop the first two folders in a path. So if I had path /folder1/folder2/folder3/folder4.... I need to drop folder1&2, so the new path would be /folder3/folder4... If folder1 and folder2 were the same all the time, this would be easy. But... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertinohio
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with File Names under tcsh loop

Hello, I have a question regarding file naming under a loop in tcsh. I have the following code: #!/bin/tcsh foreach file (test/ProteinDirectory/*) # The * is a bunch of ProteinFile1, ProteinFile2, ProteinFile3, etc. sh /bioinfo/home/dgendoo/THREADER/pGenThreader.sh $file $file ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: InfoSeeker
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get top level parent directory

Hi All, I have a directory like this: /u01/app/oracle/11gSE1/11gR203 How do i get the top level directory /u01 from this? Tried dirname and basename but dint help. I can this using echo $ORACLE_HOME | awk -F"/" '{print "/"$2}'. But I am trying to find out if there is a better way of doing it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nilayasundar
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script - Remove the 3 top level of a full path filename

Hello. Source file are in : /a/b/c/d/e/f/g/some_file Destination is : /d/e where sub-directories "f" and "g" may missing or not. After copying I want /a/b/c/d/e/f/g/file1 in /d/e/f/g/file1 On source /a is top-level directory On destination /d is top-level directory I would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Top 10 Users in mount level

Hi Members, I'm new to unix. Could you help me in solving my issue. My requirement is I need to pull Top 15 users in every mount. I could able to get the mount level information but I couldn't able to pull the top users in every mount. I see in every mount I could see a lot of nested... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UBEE
3 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)