Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Partition Hard drive
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Partition Hard drive Post 61449 by amir on Thursday 3rd of February 2005 01:52:46 PM
Old 02-03-2005
Partition Hard drive

Hello everyone.
I am new to Linux so hope some one could help me here.
I have a 30 Gb HD and windows Xp is my O/S, HD is not partitioned,but I want to Partitioned it, so I could Install Knoppix(Linux)on one of the partitioned one, how could I do this? OR should I erase every thing and then partition the HD into two parts, one for XP and one for Linux?
Most of my friends say that this is a great OS and hope to learn it soon.
Thank you

Last edited by amir; 02-03-2005 at 02:59 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Question About Drive Partition

I'm using PartitionMagic's wizard to partition my drive for Linux, and after I get past the first step it asks if I want to screate a seperate Linux Swap Partition. What is a Linux Swap Partition and is something I need/should have? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tradewynd
10 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Dead partition on drive

We are still using solaris 1 with sunos 4.1.4 because nobody here knows Unix. My colleague did a backup (dump) to the wrong place (/dev/sd0h) and we lost this part of the drive. The information is still on tape but we cannot repartition the /dev/sd0h. fsck keeps on about the "wrong SUPER BLOCK"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tom Bekaert
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hard-disk partition is Full problem?

HI, Currently I am working in One of the webhosting company and I found on one of my server "/home" partition is getting full say 105% usage... But when I actually check the partition size using "du -h", exact partition utilization is only 60-70%. So... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdish.machhi@
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Puzzled over over the relationship between the partition and geometry of hard disk.

Not sure why solaris couldn't detect the geometry of a hard disk which has a working OS of winxp pro. Is it due to the different OS that the partition information is stored in different location? When I type '"format" it is shown as below, c3d1 < drive type unknown>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: just.srad
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Replacing a hard disk (SVM) with a soft partition?

The following is the summarry:- 1) Four disks in server ie (c1t0d0. c1t1d0, c1t2d0, c1t3d0). c1t2d0 is the disk to be replaced. c1t0d0 and c1t2d0 are mirrors. c1t1d0 and c1t3d0 are mirrors. Metadb to be deleted is in c1t2d0s7 a) Mirror d35 has 2 submirrors d38 and d39 d38 is a stripe... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aji1729
0 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

How to access a NTFS partition on hard drive through Terminal in OSX ?

Hi , I have a Mac OS X Lion mac book pro. I have a hard drive which I have partitioned in two (a) OSX Partition - Mac OS Extended Journaled format. Mount point: / (b) Data Partition - Windows NT Filesystem format. Mount point: /Volumes/Data I need to access the NTFS partition (I have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
6 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ask concept soft partition vs hard partition

Hi Experts I would like to know different between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Here is little explanation between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Soft Partition: 1TB total space available in storage in all mapped to the OS to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
2 Replies
HFORMAT(1)						      General Commands Manual							HFORMAT(1)

NAME
hformat - create a new HFS filesystem and make it current SYNOPSIS
hformat [-f] [-l label] destination-path [partition-no] DESCRIPTION
hformat is used to write a new HFS filesystem to a volume. A UNIX pathname to the volume's destination must be specified. The destination may be either a block device or a regular file, but it must already exist and be writable. An optional label can be specified to name the volume. The name must be between 1-27 characters and cannot contain a colon (:). By default, the volume will be named Untitled. If the destination medium is partitioned, one partition must be selected to receive the filesystem. If there is only one HFS partition on the medium, it will be selected by default. Otherwise, the desired partition number must be specified (as the ordinal nth HFS partition) on the command-line. The size of the partition determines the size of the resulting volume. Partition number 0 can be specified to format the entire medium as a single filesystem without a partition map, erasing any existing parti- tion information. Since this will destroy all the partitions, the -f option must be specified to force this operation if the medium cur- rently contains a partition map. If the medium is not partitioned (or if partition 0 is specified), the size or capacity of the medium determines the size of the resulting volume. The new volume will be empty and will become "current" so subsequent commands will refer to it. The current working directory for the vol- ume is set to the root of the volume. EXAMPLES
% hformat /dev/fd0 If a floppy disk is available as /dev/fd0, this formats the disk as an HFS volume named Untitled. (N.B. The floppy must already have received a low-level format by other means.) % dd if=/dev/zero of=disk.hfs bs=1k count=800 % hformat -l "Test Disk" disk.hfs This sequence creates an 800K HFS volume image in the file disk.hfs in the current directory, and names it Test Disk. % hformat -l "Loma Prieta" /dev/sd2 1 If a SCSI disk is available as /dev/sd2, this initializes the first HFS partition on the disk (which must already exist) with a new filesystem, naming the resulting volume Loma Prieta. % hformat -f /dev/sd2 0 This causes the medium accessible as /dev/sd2 to be reformatted as a single HFS volume, ignoring and erasing any existing partition information on the medium. The -f option must be specified if the medium is currently partitioned; otherwise the command will fail. NOTES
This command does not create or alter partition maps, although it can erase them (as described above). Any partition number specified on the command line must already exist. The smallest volume size which can be formatted with hformat is 800K. SEE ALSO
hfsutils(1), hmount(1) FILES
$HOME/.hcwd AUTHOR
Robert Leslie <rob@mars.org> HFSUTILS
08-Nov-1997 HFORMAT(1)