Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? What if we end up being the bad aliens? Post 61147 by Neo on Saturday 29th of January 2005 08:40:56 PM
Old 01-29-2005
What if we end up being the bad aliens?

All biological cognitive minds which exist for a fleeting moment in a 20 billion year old universe make cognitive inferences. Most of these cognitive inferences are wrong and are a synthesis of an infinite series of mistaken inferences based on the inability of a biological cognitive mind to understand the complex organization of information in 20 billion years of natural law, cause-and-effect, and self-organization.

In other words, to say this more simply, and to keep this post short, the world we live in is a product of evolution of a primitive cognitive space; life, as we know it is an illusion; a world created out of an epic human quest for survival, knowledge and self-awareness, mostly based on mistaken inferences.

All life, viewed from the human cognitive mind, is an illusion that is only real to homo sapiens and those infected by this self-generated "reality", based on the serial history, conditioning and synthesis of cognitive inference in a vain attempt to understand 20 billion years of cause-and-effect.

Most of us, the author included, struggle to keep vBulletin tuned and forum users to frequent our virtual communities; and in context, have little hope to understand 20 billion years of science and natural law. Someday, humans may simply be the "maintainers" for machines who will have cognitive abilities in excited silicon that will far surpass cognitive abilities in homo sapiens. Who knows?

Unfortuately, these machines will more-than-likely be built and bootstrapped with the same wrong inferences that infect our biological cognitive spaces. This is simply the limitations of biological and carbon based life as we "know it". In closing, because science and technology have only emerged in the past few hundred years of a 20 billion year history, this is only about 0.000000001 of the history of the universe as we know it. There is a long way to go and much to learn. I would say Earthlings are doing OK, considering their relatively short emergence in the cosmos.

Yes, as the original poster [from the vB boards] stated, "we are the bad aliens"..... Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Looking for an end-to-end network diagnostic utility...

I am looking for a utility (Windows/Linux/Mac) that will allow me to run some test packets across a customer's network (between their client & my server) to identify a list of (or at least a guess of) all protocols and significant network settings that could adversely effect my systems performance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jjinno
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need UNIX shell scripting end to end information

Hi, I would like to learn shell scripting in UNIX. Can any one please give me the support and share the information/documents with me. If any documents please post it to aswanikumar_nimmagadda@yahoo.co.in Thanks in advance...!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aswani_n
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add end of char \n on end of file

Hi, I want to add \n as a EOF at the end of file if it does't exist in a single command. How to do this? when I use command echo "1\n" > a.txt and od -c a.txt 0000000 1 \n \n 0000003 How does it differentiate \n and eof in this case? Regards, Venkat (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svenkatareddy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of Begin IF ,END IF END not working in the sql script

Hi I have written a script .The script runs properly if i write sql queries .But if i use PLSQL commands of BEGIN if end if , end ,then on running the script the comamds are getting printed on the prompt . Ex :temp.sql After connecting to the databse at the sql prompt i type... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isha_1
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why I get bad bad substitution when using eval?

Why I get bad replace when using eval? $ map0=( "0" "0000" "0") $ i=0 $ eval echo \${map$i} 0000 $ a=`eval echo \${map$i}` !!!error happens!!! bash: ${map$i}: bad substitution How to resolve it ? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Test program running taking much more time on high end server T5440 than low end server T5220

Hi all, I have written the following program and run on both T5440 and T5220 on same OS version. I found that T5540 server takes more time than T5220. Please find below the details. test1.cpp #include <iostream> #include <pthread.h> using namespace std; #define NUM_OF_THREADS 20... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay_singh85
17 Replies
TALK(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TALK(1)

NAME
talk -- talk to another user SYNOPSIS
talk person [ttyname] DESCRIPTION
Talk is a visual communication program which copies lines from your terminal to that of another user. Options available: person If you wish to talk to someone on your own machine, then person is just the person's login name. If you wish to talk to a user on another host, then person is of the form 'user@host'. ttyname If you wish to talk to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name, where ttyname is of the form 'ttyXX' or 'pts/X'. When first called, talk contacts the talk daemon on the other user's machine, which sends the message Message from TalkDaemon@his_machine... talk: connection requested by your_name@your_machine. talk: respond with: talk your_name@your_machine to that user. At this point, he then replies by typing talk your_name@your_machine It doesn't matter from which machine the recipient replies, as long as his login name is the same. Once communication is established, the two parties may type simultaneously; their output will appear in separate windows. Typing control-L (^L) will cause the screen to be reprinted. The erase, kill line, and word erase characters (normally ^H, ^U, and ^W respectively) will behave normally. To exit, just type the interrupt character (normally ^C); talk then moves the cursor to the bottom of the screen and restores the terminal to its previous state. As of netkit-ntalk 0.15 talk supports scrollback; use esc-p and esc-n to scroll your window, and ctrl-p and ctrl-n to scroll the other win- dow. These keys are now opposite from the way they were in 0.16; while this will probably be confusing at first, the rationale is that the key combinations with escape are harder to type and should therefore be used to scroll one's own screen, since one needs to do that much less often. If you do not want to receive talk requests, you may block them using the mesg(1) command. By default, talk requests are normally not blocked. Certain commands, in particular nroff(1), pine(1), and pr(1), may block messages temporarily in order to prevent messy output. FILES
/etc/hosts to find the recipient's machine /var/run/utmp to find the recipient's tty SEE ALSO
mail(1), mesg(1), who(1), write(1), talkd(8) BUGS
The protocol used to communicate with the talk daemon is braindead. Also, the version of talk(1) released with 4.2BSD uses a different and even more braindead protocol that is completely incompatible. Some vendor Unixes (particularly those from Sun) have been found to use this old protocol. There's a patch from Juan-Mariano de Goyeneche (jmseyas@dit.upm.es) which makes talk/talkd, if compiled with -DSUN_HACK, compatible with SunOS/Solaris' ones. It converts messages from one protocol to the other. Old versions of talk may have trouble running on machines with more than one IP address, such as machines with dynamic SLIP or PPP connec- tions. This problem is fixed as of netkit-ntalk 0.11, but may affect people you are trying to communicate with. HISTORY
The talk command appeared in 4.2BSD. Linux NetKit (0.17) November 24, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17)