Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl: eval and constants
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl: eval and constants Post 60837 by TurkishCoder on Sunday 23rd of January 2005 06:24:47 AM
Old 01-23-2005
#!/usr/bin/perl

@foo=('FOOD','NUMBER','OS');
@bar=('pizza','two','unix');

foreach $foo_val ( @foo ) {
eval "\$$foo_val = @bar[$count]";
++$count;
}
print "\$FOOD IS $FOOD\n";
print "\$NUMBER IS $NUMBER\n";
print "\$OS IS $OS\n";

exitSmilie))

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

constants in C/C++

Hi all My question is related to following sample code which tries to change consant value by pointers.(I know it is wrong practice but i am surprised by mis-behaviour) The code: #include <stdio.h> int main() { const int x = 10; int *y; const int * const z = &x; y = (int *)&x;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shobhit
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redefine warning(Eval) in perl

Here is my perl Program: #!/usr/bin/perl -w my $a="sam"; my $b="ste"; my $c="abcdef"; my $d=931; $str=" @<<<<< @>>>>>>>>>> @|||||||||||||||||||| @######### \$a,\$b,\$c,\$d ."; open(FILE,">abc.txt"); $temp="format FILE = $str"; eval $temp; write FILE; print FILE "\n\n"; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameerstephen
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement for eval in Perl??????

I used the eval command in shell programming for assigning a value to a stored value of a variable. Example: VAR="Unix_Id" eval $VAR="101" eval echo $"$VAR" How can i assign a value to a stored value of a variable in perl OR how i can write above code in Perl? I need your help... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunal_dixit
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operation with real variables and constants

Hello there, I'd like to define a variable b equal to 0.5/a where a=0.001, so I wrote something like that: a=0.001; let 'b=0.5/$a'; but it doesn't work... maybe because the variable a has a real value??? Any help will be appreciated!!!:D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange result of eval, how does eval really work with ssh?

Hi all, some small script with eval turned me to crazy. my OS is linux Linux s10-1310 2.6.16.53-0.8.PTF.434477.3.TDC.0-smp #1 SMP Fri Aug 31 06:07:27 PDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux below script works well #!/bin/bash eval ssh remotehost date eval ssh remotehost ls below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with perl eval command .....

Hi All, I read the above written code (perl code) in another perl script and evaluates this code for each line of text file,but using exit statement in code make this not to work and i could not get the desired results. However if i use return it works fine. I just need to know why it doesn't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl eval problem

Hello All, I am trying to use perl eval in a complex code and below given is a pseudo code of my logic. Here $result evalutes to empty. Please help.How should I retrieve of $t where $f just hold the name of varaible i.e t $t=10; $f='$t'; $result=eval "\$$f"; print "$result\n"; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in eval eval command to print html tags

anyone has any info on why this is complaining??? vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ zoneCounter=1 vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ optUsage1=23% vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ eval eval echo "<th>Zone $zoneCounter </th><th align=\"left\"> \$optUsage$zoneCounter </th>" -bash: syntax error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in eval eval command to print html tags

anyone has any info on why this is complaining??? vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ zoneCounter=1 vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ optUsage1=23% vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ eval eval echo "<th>Zone $zoneCounter </th><th align=\"left\"> \$optUsage$zoneCounter </th>" -bash: syntax error... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
13 Replies
UNIVERSAL::require(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     UNIVERSAL::require(3)

NAME
UNIVERSAL::require - require() modules from a variable SYNOPSIS
# This only needs to be said once in your program. require UNIVERSAL::require; # Same as "require Some::Module" my $module = 'Some::Module'; $module->require or die $@; # Same as "use Some::Module" BEGIN { $module->use or die $@ } DESCRIPTION
If you've ever had to do this... eval "require $module"; to get around the bareword caveats on require(), this module is for you. It creates a universal require() class method that will work with every Perl module and its secure. So instead of doing some arcane eval() work, you can do this: $module->require; It doesn't save you much typing, but it'll make alot more sense to someone who's not a ninth level Perl acolyte. Methods require my $return_val = $module->require or die $@; my $return_val = $module->require($version) or die $@; This works exactly like Perl's require, except without the bareword restriction, and it doesn't die. Since require() is placed in the UNIVERSAL namespace, it will work on any module. You just have to use UNIVERSAL::require somewhere in your code. Should the module require fail, or not be a high enough $version, it will simply return false and not die. The error will be in $@ as well as $UNIVERSAL::require::ERROR. $module->require or die $@; use my $require_return = $module->use or die $@; my $require_return = $module->use(@imports) or die $@; Like "UNIVERSAL::require", this allows you to "use" a $module without having to eval to work around the bareword requirement. It returns the same as require. Should either the require or the import fail it will return false. The error will be in $@. If possible, call this inside a BEGIN block to emulate a normal "use" as closely as possible. BEGIN { $module->use } SECURITY NOTES
UNIVERSAL::require makes use of "eval STRING". In previous versions of UNIVERSAL::require it was discovered that one could craft a class name which would result in code being executed. This hole has been closed. The only variables now exposed to "eval STRING" are the caller's package, filename and line which are not tainted. UNIVERSAL::require is taint clean. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001, 2005 by Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html AUTHOR
Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com> Now maintained by Neil Bowers (NEILB). SEE ALSO
Module::Load, "require" in perlfunc, <http://dev.perl.org/rfc/253.pod> perl v5.18.2 2013-09-27 UNIVERSAL::require(3)